boot screen resolution

  • Michael Klinosky
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2010
      I installed CentOS 5.3 on a desktop box, and I'm having a problem with
      the resolution of the screen during bootup. Note that Cent is based on
      Fedora / RedHat.

      I suppose that it somehow got configged when I set the GUI's screen (I
      run in level 5). I think that, in finding the highest res for the GUI, I
      went past the monitor's capability. But it's good now.

      During boot, I get a funny 'double' display (2 pointers, 2 sets of
      text). I can't find where to change it (thru the gui or manually). And,
      yes, I did try searching (on google.com/linux and the CentOS wiki).

      There is nothing in /boot/grub/grub.conf that would set the res. Here is
      an excerpt:
      splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

      I read about removing 'rhgb'; I tried it, and at least it uses an
      appropriate resolution. But, I'd like to use the graphical boot screen.

      How do I fix this?