Dell Inspiron 1545, VM, and no 64-bit

  • Scott Ehrlich
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
      I find it interesting that my 64-bit Dell Inspiron (I have succesfully
      installed 64-bit Ubuntu and 64-bit CentOS as hosts, reformatting the
      hard drive between them), but yet 64-bit installs of vmware and
      virtualbox complain the host will not allow a 64-bit OS to be
      installed as a guest (I want to create 64-bit VMs).

      I'm going to also try Fedora and Solaris, but I don't expect it will
      change much.

      Are both vmware and virtualbox simply not able to handle 64-bit OSes
      yet for VMs, though I've seen posting claiming otherwise?

      Thanks.

      Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
        On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 09:47:03AM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
        > I find it interesting that my 64-bit Dell Inspiron (I have succesfully
        > installed 64-bit Ubuntu and 64-bit CentOS as hosts, reformatting the
        > hard drive between them), but yet 64-bit installs of vmware and
        > virtualbox complain the host will not allow a 64-bit OS to be
        > installed as a guest (I want to create 64-bit VMs).

        It's very straightforward actually. To have 64 bit guests, you have to
        have a processor that supports virtualization. Many of the new ones do,
        but I don't know about Dell.

        To find out on Linux, you run the command

        grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo

        For an AMD processor

        grep svm /proc/cpuinfo

        If you don't know which processor you have, then,

        egrep 'vmx|svm' /proc/cpuinfo

        If it comes back with a result, then you should be able to install a 64
        bit guest and something is wrong. If it comes back to a command prompt
        with no result, then the behavior is expected.

        Angel: She murdered a man right in front of me, and I can't
        even testify to that fact in a court of law.
        Cordelia: Well, maybe in night court you could...
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 09:47:03AM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
          > > I find it interesting that my 64-bit Dell Inspiron (I have succesfully
          > > installed 64-bit Ubuntu and 64-bit CentOS as hosts, reformatting the
          > > hard drive between them), but yet 64-bit installs of vmware and
          > > virtualbox complain the host will not allow a 64-bit OS to be
          > > installed as a guest (I want to create 64-bit VMs).
          >
          > It's very straightforward actually. To have 64 bit guests, you have to
          > have a processor that supports virtualization. Many of the new ones do,
          > but I don't know about Dell.
          > [...]

          The best way to find out is to check the manufacturer's specs at their
          website (www.intel.com and www.amd.com) once you know the specific CPU
          model in your system.

          As a quick note, Intel's "Dual Core" CPUs do NOT but the "Core 2 DUO"
          do support virtualization (in their higher-model numbers). I went
          through this exercise back in January (2009) when interested in doing
          CPU upgrades for many of my newer systems and finally chose the Intel
          Core 2 DUO E8500 for its speed, power usage, virtualization support
          and other features. Prices of such CPU chips fluctuate widely; on the
          day I bought mine, Fry's Electronics' pricing was better than Newegg.

          Note that laptop CPUs "might" not be easy to replace -- I believe Dell
          solders them in place to the motherboard to save money and avoid some
          of the problems with sockets. The CPUs I replaced earlier this year
          were all in desktop systems.

          The specs I see for a Dell Inspiron 1545 are a 15.6" laptop with Core
          2 Duo T6400 2.0GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, and 320GB Hard drive.

          Going here:

          <http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/specifications.htm>

          takes us here (SLGJ4 (the T6400)):

          <http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SLGJ4>

          and here:

          <http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/mobile/techdocs.htm>

          It doesn't support virtualization.

          And given its package type, Micro-FCPGA, it's 100% certain to be
          soldered in place (by Dell).
        • J
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
            On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 15:14, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:

            > As a quick note, Intel's "Dual Core" CPUs do NOT but the "Core 2 DUO"
            > do support virtualization (in their higher-model numbers). I went

            And as another quick note, though as with most recent CPUs (at least
            the higher end ones) it's mostly irrelevant, regardless of whether or
            not the CPU itself supports virtualization, the BIOS/uEFI also has to
            support it and allow the user to enable the support. Otherwise, in my
            experience at least, you can't use it.

            Now, caveat that with this: I say that with only real experience with
            IBM BIOSes and the assumption that other OEMs would perpetrate similar
            shenanigans.

            Happy New Year in any case everyone...

            Jeff

            --

            Joan Crawford - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
            Everything I earn, I spend." -