Re: [linux] Linux Magazine: Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad

  • Dale Miller
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
      Scott wrote:

      > I have always thought (well, at least for a year or two) that Ubuntu was
      > doing a good job of showing people what Linux can be.
      >
      > Can some regular Ubuntu users chime in here? Is this typical? Is it
      > unusual? Is Thad just rabble rousing? <snicker>.
      >
      > You're as bad as I used to be with Fedora--I couldn't wait to share what
      > they did badly--as I got to know some of the developers though, and see
      > that at least some really do care about the users, I became less angry
      > and find myself, to my chagrin, now defending their lapses.
      >
      > However, all kidding aside, I wonder if these are isolated incidents, or
      > if all the Ubuntu users are experiencing this. My own experience with
      > Krusty Koala has been pretty good, actually.
      > (Howeer, I don't do much--I'll throw it on a notebook or netbook, and
      > perhaps a VM--as it has more packages available than Fedora, sometimes,
      > I'll just install it in Ubuntu then use alien), and that's about all I
      > do.

      I haven't had any of the new problems. I did a fresh install with my
      /home partition intact.
      The new 9.10 did fix my printer problems I was having with usb and
      parallel together on the same system, but I now have a problem sharing
      the printers with my wife's Vista laptop. I'm not totally sure that is
      the new Ubuntu but I didn't have any problem sharing the usb printer
      that did work before 9.10.

      --
      All the Best & 73's
      Dale Miller, KC2CBD

      Registered Linux User: #317401
      Linux since June 2003
      Ubuntu User #26423

      stpatrick3spam@...
      stpatrick3spam@...

      (cut the spam to reply)

      VOTE TO REBUILD!
      www.twintowersalliance.com
      --
    • Dave Ablejoy
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
        I have been using Ubuntu since 7.0 using 9.04 on my main computer and also on a Toshia 5 year old laptop. waiting till 9.10 shakes out most of the bugs before installing. Ubuntu does everything I need to do.
        Dave