Re: [linux] Another new toy :)

  • J
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2009
      Meh... I'm too lazy :-)

      Installing Red Hat 7.x
      http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pos1R1002329

      IBM's page with hardware info:
      http://www-03.ibm.com/products/retail/products/pos/500/index.html

      Most of what I've found so far revolves around Red Hat 7.x and NLD 9, FWIW.

      Here's an install guide for SLES 11 (should translate to OpenSuSE 11
      for the most part)
      ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/retail/pubs/sw/opsys/SLE/hag0_linux_config_mst.pdf

      SurePOS 500 series Service Guide:
      http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=219&q1=PUB4840&uid=pos1R7000018&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

      SurePOS 500 System Reference Guide:
      http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=219&q1=PUB4840&uid=pos1R7000016&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

      500 series support site:
      http://www.clearlake.ibm.com/store/support/html/surepos500.html

      You probably already found most of that stuff... but just in case...

      Cheers
      Jeff

      --

      Joan Crawford - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
      Everything I earn, I spend." -
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2009
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2009
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2009
            On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 03:34:03PM -0500, Jye wrote:

            > >> Today I scored a used IBM SurePOS 500
            > >
            > > Am I the only one who cracked up at seeing a machine called a sure "POS"?
            > > :)
            > >
            > > - --
            > > G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

            *I* thought he was commenting on the quality, actually. :)

          • Matt Bailey
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
              On Thursday 05 November 2009 09:22:19 J wrote:
              <snip>

              > You probably already found most of that stuff... but just in case...
              >
              > Cheers
              > Jeff

              Thanks for the links Jeff, I had some of it but had not gotten around to
              tracking down everything. I still have reading to do.

              Bad news....tried putting Linux on the thing tonight and it's not booting at
              all. Since the secondary IDE channel is disabled by default (and supposedly
              cannot be re-enabled) and the included IDE cable only has one connector, I'm
              faced with installing Linux on the HD via another PC then transferring it
              over. BIOS shows the HD as the master on the primary IDE channel, so it's got
              to be /dev/hda which is how I've got it set up. But so far LILO is not
              getting past the loading-linux thing: the dots go across the screen, then the
              system restarts itself....never seen that exact problem before. No error
              messages or anything.

              I may try disassembling the unit enough to swap in a normal IDE cable with two
              connections on it so I can hook up a CDROM temporarily to load Linux with,
              maybe that would help? I dunno.

              Matt
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Matt Bailey <dabigboy@...> wrote:
                > [...]
                > I may try disassembling the unit enough to swap in a normal IDE cable
                > with two connections on it so I can hook up a CDROM temporarily to
                > load Linux with, maybe that would help? I dunno.

                Can you get to a/the BIOS? There may be some settings pertinent to
                running an OS other than the intended POS (Point Of Sale) software.
              • Matt Bailey
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                  On Saturday 07 November 2009 04:44:19 thad_floryan wrote:
                  > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Matt Bailey <dabigboy@...> wrote:
                  > > [...]
                  > > I may try disassembling the unit enough to swap in a normal IDE cable
                  > > with two connections on it so I can hook up a CDROM temporarily to
                  > > load Linux with, maybe that would help? I dunno.
                  >
                  > Can you get to a/the BIOS? There may be some settings pertinent to
                  > running an OS other than the intended POS (Point Of Sale) software.

                  Good thought! Yes, accessing BIOS is no problem. I did find one setting that
                  was definitely wrong, disk mode was set to "DOS" while the BIOS explicitly
                  states that it should be set to "Other" for Unix's. But that didn't help my
                  problem. :/ Also disabled the onboard NIC for good measure, IBM's site states
                  something about a certain version of Redhat on a new SurePOS giving problems
                  if it's enabled. The fix is to add a parameter to LILO/GRUB, or just disable
                  the onboard NIC.

                  Matt