Ubuntubooboo 9.10 UNR Maximus is virus-like

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
      Among the many surprises accompanying Ubuntu 9.10 is Ubuntu Netbook
      Remix (UNR).

      A Usenet article from alt.os.linux.ubuntu is copy'n'pasted below for
      everyone's benefit (note: I am NOT the article's author):

      A few days ago I posted a message that mysteriously some windows were
      starting out maximized with no visible (to me) way to un-maximize
      them.

      The problem then went away, but later reappeared.

      More investigation and googling revealed that I installed "Ubuntu
      Netbook Remix", which is their new concept for user interface for
      netbooks.

      "UNR" comes with a program called "Maximus". It does not announce its
      presence. There is no apparent menu entry in "preferences" that would
      allow one to control its appearance.

      It just sits there, well camouflaged, and messes with user windows in
      a way that is very reminiscent of a virus operating.

      A great bug that summarizes the story is here

      <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/maximus/+bug/362301>

      This has got to be one of those annoying obnoxious issues, with a hard
      to find explanation and a weird ass fix, that would turn off many
      people from what otherwise is a great concept (UNR).

      I am exploring UNR, for now, and like many of the other things offered
      in it, but this maximus is a awful joke. At least they could put a
      preferences menu item called "Maximizing windows".
    • Matt Bailey
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
        So Ubuntu has gotten one step closer to being familiar and comfortable to
        Windows users? :)

        Matt