Re: [linux] Reading Remote File

  • John Black
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2009
      Jerry Charles wrote:
      > Does any one know of a way to read a remote file (on another linux server), without actually having to locally login to read that file?

      sshd is your friend here. Once sshd is enabled and configured you can
      login from any Linux or Windows system and administer the machine as if
      you where sitting in front of it.

      Windows systems need an ssh client such as putty (free) but all Linux
      computers have ssh preinstalled.

      Once setup you do something like this
      # ssh -l USERNAME somedomain.com
      Enter your password and you are in. You can also configure sshd to
      accept a keyfile instead of a password or use both.

      More information, including setup guides can be found via Google.

      --
      John
      Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2009
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Charles <fahbles_mind@...> wrote:

        > Does any one know of a way to read a remote file (on another linux server), without actually having to locally login to read that file?

        If the directory can be shared via NFS or the Linux equivilent, that would do the trick for you. I am a Solaris guy just learning Linux, so don't know yet if Linix handles NFS.

        Andrew
      • John Black
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
          andrew_rotramel wrote:
          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Charles <fahbles_mind@...> wrote:
          >> Does any one know of a way to read a remote file (on another linux server), without actually having to locally login to read that file?
          > If the directory can be shared via NFS or the Linux equivilent, that would do the trick for you. I am a Solaris guy just learning Linux, so don't know yet if Linix handles NFS.
          > Andrew

          Yes, NFS works just fine in Linux. I can not compare the performance to
          Solaris since I only use it to move files from my personal computer to
          my local server.

          --
          John
        • Raquel
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
            On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 06:02:07 -0000
            "andrew_rotramel" <andrew@...> wrote:

            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Charles <fahbles_mind@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Does any one know of a way to read a remote file (on another
            > > linux server), without actually having to locally login to read
            > > that file?
            >
            > If the directory can be shared via NFS or the Linux equivilent,
            > that would do the trick for you. I am a Solaris guy just learning
            > Linux, so don't know yet if Linix handles NFS.
            >
            > Andrew

            Isn't there the option to use SSH?

            --
            Raquel
            A quality life is never achieved by focusing on the elimination of

            --Gary Ryan Blair