Fixed boot problem - Re: Question on GRUB and multiple disks

  • andrew_rotramel
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2009
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "andrew_rotramel" <andrew@...> wrote:

      > The other day I first installed Red Hat ES 4.6 on hdb2, with a /boot at hdb1. It told me it was writing its Grub menu.lst onto sda. When I booted, I found /boot on hdb1. Next I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on sda1, and it overwrote the Grub menu.lst file. (at this point I made a copy of the Ubuntu menu.lst file). Next I installed Red Hat ES 4.7 on hdb4, with a /boot at hdb3. It told me it was writing its Grub menu.lst onto sda, and it did, overwriting the version that Ubuntu put there.
      >
      > I copied the Ubuntu menu.lst back on sda1, but the computer insists on booting from the menu.lst on hdb3, where the last install took place. I then copied the Ubuntu menu.lst onto hdb3, and now the system is unbootable except from an install CD.
      >
      > Any suggestions on how to get the system to boot from menu.lst on the Ubuntu drive, which is the first in the BIOS boot list?
      >
      > Andrew

      I will respond to my own post, because I found a solution shortly after posting about the problem.

      I used the manual grub install procedure on this page:

      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
      it is at the bottom in the section called "Command Line".

      After I fixed the problem I compared timestamps and file sizes on the various stage and device map files and such, and they are all identical. Weird.

      My system is now bootable, just like I like 'em.

      Andrew