Re: how to use linux for my browsing center

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2009
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jye Nigma" <jyesluv@...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > I may have overlooked it, but did he want to get rid of XP altogether?

      Here's what the OP wrote:

      " So, I am planning to install LINUX in all our computers.
      " People here can only use the windows environment. So,
      " please advice me for what flavor of LINUX to use. At the
      " same time it should resemble the windows environment.

      What do you think?
    • Brad Rogers
      • Thad Floryan
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2009
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Brad Rogers <brad@...> wrote:
          > [...]
          > Hello Thad,
          >
          > > " So, I am planning to install LINUX in all our computers.
          > > " People here can only use the windows environment. So,
          > > " please advice me for what flavor of LINUX to use. At the
          >
          > Which distro is less of an issue than which WM/DE to use. My other
          > half maintains KDE is "just like Windows".
          >
          > Obviously, I don't agree with her. :-)

          Heh, as we were discussing here last year, there is a Linux whose look
          and feel mimics Windows:

          <http://www.linux-xp.com/>

          but it's download and/or purchase pages do nothing anymore. The Russian
          language version is downloadable (from another site) but I don't think
          that would be appropriate for the OP.

          :-)
        • Brad Rogers
          • Jye Nigma
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2009
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2009
                >> > " So, I am planning to install LINUX in all our computers.
                >> > " People here can only use the windows environment. So,
                >> > " please advice me for what flavor of LINUX to use. At the
                >>
                >> Which distro is less of an issue than which WM/DE to use. My other
                >> half maintains KDE is "just like Windows".
                >>
                >> Obviously, I don't agree with her. :-)
                >
                > Heh, as we were discussing here last year, there is a Linux whose look
                > and feel mimics Windows:
                >
                > <http://www.linux-xp.com/>
                >
                > but it's download and/or purchase pages do nothing anymore. The Russian
                > language version is downloadable (from another site) but I don't think
                > that would be appropriate for the OP.
                ------------------------------------
                I was fortunate to get the version before the current version so I use it a
                lot. Good distro to me.

                Jye
              • Thad Floryan
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2009
                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jye Nigma" <jyesluv@...> wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > Ok I was responding to the first section "I am managing a browsing
                  > center in my local town. We use windows xp in our computers. It is
                  > more prone to virus attacks and crashes and we have to format our
                  > systems time and again."
                  > By using a virtual machine with XP on it that would eliminate the
                  > having to format and all they'd have to do is replace the virtual
                  > file....I think you take a snap shot of the OS when it's functioning
                  > properly and revert to that snap shot, and you're back up and
                  > running in a matter of seconds. This is a solution if the problem is
                  > they're tired of having to format all the time yet still want to use
                  > XP. But if they want to leave XP altogether, your way is of course
                  > better. It just sounded like they wanted to go to Linux because
                  > they thought they were out of options.

                  Gotcha.

                  From what I've seen in the past 5 days, browsers shouldn't be allowed
                  on Windows systems UNLESS:

                  1. the ...\etc\hosts file is fixed per either of:

                  <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>
                  or
                  <http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/>

                  2. the "NoScript" addon/plug is installed, and

                  3. SpyBot Search&Destroy has been installed; this also adds some more
                  entries to the ...\etc\hosts file. Spybot can be downloaded from:

                  <http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html>