Re: [linux] Re: how to use linux for my browsing center

  • Jye Nigma
    Message 1 of 15 , May 5, 2009

      > The problem is you'd still be running XP, susceptible to viruses,
      > trojans, worms, browser iframe exploits, etc.
      >
      > A lot of websites have been infected with crap like this:
      >
      > ... iframe src="http://hotslotpot.cn/in.cgi?income65"
      > width=1 height=1 style="visibility: hidden></iframe ...
      >
      > since early April 2009.
      >
      > Browsers such as Firefox look and work (almost) the same on Linux
      > and Windows, so running only Linux with Firefox meets the OP's
      > requirement.
      >
      > By "almost" I mean the main issue is how stuff is copy'n'pasted in
      > the URL window. It's actually easier/better on Windows than Linux.
      ------------------------------------
      I may have overlooked it, but did he want to get rid of XP altogether?

      Jye
    • Thad Floryan
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2009
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jye Nigma" <jyesluv@...> wrote:
        > [...]
        > I may have overlooked it, but did he want to get rid of XP altogether?

        Here's what the OP wrote:

        " So, I am planning to install LINUX in all our computers.
        " People here can only use the windows environment. So,
        " please advice me for what flavor of LINUX to use. At the
        " same time it should resemble the windows environment.

        What do you think?
      • Brad Rogers
        • Thad Floryan
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2009
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Brad Rogers <brad@...> wrote:
            > [...]
            > Hello Thad,
            >
            > > " So, I am planning to install LINUX in all our computers.
            > > " People here can only use the windows environment. So,
            > > " please advice me for what flavor of LINUX to use. At the
            >
            > Which distro is less of an issue than which WM/DE to use. My other
            > half maintains KDE is "just like Windows".
            >
            > Obviously, I don't agree with her. :-)

            Heh, as we were discussing here last year, there is a Linux whose look
            and feel mimics Windows:

            <http://www.linux-xp.com/>

            but it's download and/or purchase pages do nothing anymore. The Russian
            language version is downloadable (from another site) but I don't think
            that would be appropriate for the OP.

            :-)
          • Brad Rogers
            • Jye Nigma
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2009
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2009
                  >> > " So, I am planning to install LINUX in all our computers.
                  >> > " People here can only use the windows environment. So,
                  >> > " please advice me for what flavor of LINUX to use. At the
                  >>
                  >> Which distro is less of an issue than which WM/DE to use. My other
                  >> half maintains KDE is "just like Windows".
                  >>
                  >> Obviously, I don't agree with her. :-)
                  >
                  > Heh, as we were discussing here last year, there is a Linux whose look
                  > and feel mimics Windows:
                  >
                  > <http://www.linux-xp.com/>
                  >
                  > but it's download and/or purchase pages do nothing anymore. The Russian
                  > language version is downloadable (from another site) but I don't think
                  > that would be appropriate for the OP.
                  ------------------------------------
                  I was fortunate to get the version before the current version so I use it a
                  lot. Good distro to me.

                  Jye
                • Thad Floryan
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2009
                    --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jye Nigma" <jyesluv@...> wrote:
                    > [...]
                    > Ok I was responding to the first section "I am managing a browsing
                    > center in my local town. We use windows xp in our computers. It is
                    > more prone to virus attacks and crashes and we have to format our
                    > systems time and again."
                    > By using a virtual machine with XP on it that would eliminate the
                    > having to format and all they'd have to do is replace the virtual
                    > file....I think you take a snap shot of the OS when it's functioning
                    > properly and revert to that snap shot, and you're back up and
                    > running in a matter of seconds. This is a solution if the problem is
                    > they're tired of having to format all the time yet still want to use
                    > XP. But if they want to leave XP altogether, your way is of course
                    > better. It just sounded like they wanted to go to Linux because
                    > they thought they were out of options.

                    Gotcha.

                    From what I've seen in the past 5 days, browsers shouldn't be allowed
                    on Windows systems UNLESS:

                    1. the ...\etc\hosts file is fixed per either of:

                    <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>
                    or
                    <http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/>

                    2. the "NoScript" addon/plug is installed, and

                    3. SpyBot Search&Destroy has been installed; this also adds some more
                    entries to the ...\etc\hosts file. Spybot can be downloaded from:

                    <http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html>