Re: [linux] Re: New to group, new to Linux

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
      On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:41:05AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      > > [...]
      >
      > Part of the problem as I see it is that today's developers haven't
      > been trained in structured design, so there's no overall visibility
      > of a software product and, hence, old bugs often return in later
      > versions due to careless coding and lack of regression testing.
      >
      > Structured design for software is akin to the use of schematics by
      > an EE and blueprints by an ME or CE. Can you imagine the ensuing
      > chaos if, say, a bridge were to be designed and built using the same
      > techniques (or, better, lack of any) exemplified by many of today's
      > developers and programmers?

      You mean, you don't *want* to drive on a bridge that was developed with
      the attitude of, shucks, it works on my bicycle, should work for other
      things?

      Spike: I'm bad! It's just I can't bite anymore, thanks to you
      wankers... Bye the bye, if you're trying to kill her...
      (gives Riley two thumbs up)
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
        On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:46:07AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Thad Floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > Thanks for sharing (and I really liked your just-prior scenario with
        > > the stoner and the programmer regarding msn pages :-)
        > > [...]
        >
        > OOPS! Freudian slip; I meant "man pages" not "msn pages".

        I thought that was a deliberate joke and thought it rather funny. I'll
        probably be using it soon.

        Willow: Old reliable? Yeah, great. There's a sexy
        nickname.
        Buffy: Well, I didn't mean it as...
        Willow: No, it's fine, I'm Old Reliable.
        Xander: She just means, you know, the geyser. You're like a
        geyser of fun that goes off at regular intervals.
        Willow: That's Old Faithful.
        Xander: Isn't that the dog that the guy had to shoot...?
        Willow: That's Old Yeller.
        Buffy: Xander, I beg you not to help me.
      • Herbert R Coburn
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
          Thad Floryan wrote:
          [snip]
          > To determine where that problem was, I had to use my MSN "Live" account
          > to run some tests; FWIW, Hotmail/Live do quote properly, so I'm still
          > not sure why the guy's postings have no quoting.

          At least one mail client has an option to disable quoting. /herbc