Re: New to group, new to Linux

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Thad Floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > Thanks for sharing (and I really liked your just-prior scenario with
      > the stoner and the programmer regarding msn pages :-)
      > [...]

      OOPS! Freudian slip; I meant "man pages" not "msn pages".

      I just had to correct someone in one of my astronomy groups whose
      postings do not contain any quoting (e.g., "> ") and was angry that
      someone attributed something to him that he did not write (when it's
      impossible to really ascertain attribution due to such lack of quotes).

      To determine where that problem was, I had to use my MSN "Live" account
      to run some tests; FWIW, Hotmail/Live do quote properly, so I'm still
      not sure why the guy's postings have no quoting.
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
        On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:41:05AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > > [...]
        >
        > Part of the problem as I see it is that today's developers haven't
        > been trained in structured design, so there's no overall visibility
        > of a software product and, hence, old bugs often return in later
        > versions due to careless coding and lack of regression testing.
        >
        > Structured design for software is akin to the use of schematics by
        > an EE and blueprints by an ME or CE. Can you imagine the ensuing
        > chaos if, say, a bridge were to be designed and built using the same
        > techniques (or, better, lack of any) exemplified by many of today's
        > developers and programmers?

        You mean, you don't *want* to drive on a bridge that was developed with
        the attitude of, shucks, it works on my bicycle, should work for other
        things?

        Spike: I'm bad! It's just I can't bite anymore, thanks to you
        wankers... Bye the bye, if you're trying to kill her...
        (gives Riley two thumbs up)
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
          On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:46:07AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Thad Floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
          > > [...]
          > > Thanks for sharing (and I really liked your just-prior scenario with
          > > the stoner and the programmer regarding msn pages :-)
          > > [...]
          >
          > OOPS! Freudian slip; I meant "man pages" not "msn pages".

          I thought that was a deliberate joke and thought it rather funny. I'll
          probably be using it soon.

          Willow: Old reliable? Yeah, great. There's a sexy
          nickname.
          Buffy: Well, I didn't mean it as...
          Willow: No, it's fine, I'm Old Reliable.
          Xander: She just means, you know, the geyser. You're like a
          geyser of fun that goes off at regular intervals.
          Willow: That's Old Faithful.
          Xander: Isn't that the dog that the guy had to shoot...?
          Willow: That's Old Yeller.
          Buffy: Xander, I beg you not to help me.
        • Herbert R Coburn
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
            Thad Floryan wrote:
            [snip]
            > To determine where that problem was, I had to use my MSN "Live" account
            > to run some tests; FWIW, Hotmail/Live do quote properly, so I'm still
            > not sure why the guy's postings have no quoting.

            At least one mail client has an option to disable quoting. /herbc