Which Mail Server To Use?

  • Allen D. Tate
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
      The good news is that I am replacing my windows based mail server. The
      bad news is that I'm not sure which *nix based mail server I should use.
      Can any of you recommend a mail server for use in a system that will
      have less than 100 email addresses? I will also need a web based client
      for the staff who connect via browser. Finally, I do have a few mailing
      lists that I will need to moved to this machine as well. FWIF, I'm
      running CentOS 5.02.

      First step, mail & website on Linux. NExt step, file server. Ultimately,
      we switch over to Evergreen. :D
      --
      Allen D. Tate
      Head of Computer Services

      http://www.ohio.lib.in.us/ (Library Home Page)
      http://www.opensourceinlibraries.com/ (Open Source In Libraries)

      The views expressed in this message are not necessarily
      those of the Ohio Township Public Library System.
    • Godwin Stewart

        On 02/01/09 16:06, Allen D. Tate wrote:

        > Can any of you recommend a mail server for use in a system that will
        > [...]

        That's a bit like asking people which distribution they think is best :)

        I've always used sendmail/procmail as the MDA/LDA combo. Cyrus-IMAP and
        SquirrelMail should take care of the webmail side of things. Mailman or
        majordomo should be able to manage the mailing list side of things for you.

        Just my 0.02¢ worth...

        - --
        G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

        Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it
        holds the universe together.
        -- Carl Zwanzig
      • Allen D. Tate
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
          > > Can any of you recommend a mail server for use in a system that will
          > > [...]
          >
          > That's a bit like asking people which distribution they think is best :)

          That's true and I thought about it BUT it never hurts to get a few ideas. :)

          > I've always used sendmail/procmail as the MDA/LDA combo. Cyrus-IMAP and
          > SquirrelMail should take care of the webmail side of things. Mailman or
          > majordomo should be able to manage the mailing list side of things for you.
          >
          > Just my 0.02¢ worth...

          Thanks very much. CentOS comes with sendmail so that's one less thing I
          have to install. :)
          --
          Allen D. Tate
          Head of Computer Services
          Ohio Township Public Library System
          4111 Lakeshore Dr
          PO Box 850
          Newburgh, IN 47629
          (812) 853-5468 x 313

          http://www.ohio.lib.in.us/ (Library Home Page)
          http://www.opensourceinlibraries.com/ (Open Source In Libraries)

          The views expressed in this message are not necessarily
          those of the Ohio Township Public Library System.
        • Raquel
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
            On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:18:50 +0000
            Godwin Stewart <grs.ygroups@...> wrote:

            > On 02/01/09 16:06, Allen D. Tate wrote:
            >
            > > Can any of you recommend a mail server for use in a system that
            > > will [...]
            >
            > That's a bit like asking people which distribution they think is
            > best :)

            I have maybe 50 addresses/accounts.

            > I've always used sendmail/procmail as the MDA/LDA combo.

            I agree with Godwin on this combo.

            > Cyrus-IMAP
            > and SquirrelMail should take care of the webmail side of things.

            On this end I use Dovecot and SquirrelMail

            > Mailman or majordomo should be able to manage the mailing list side
            > of things for you.

            My feeling is that Mailman rules here, but I'm sure there are those
            who will have other opinions

            --
            Raquel
            http://www.byraquel.com

            --Martin Luther King, Jr.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
              On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:34:43AM -0600, Allen D. Tate wrote:
              > > > Can any of you recommend a mail server for use in a system that will
              > > > [...]
              > >
              > > That's a bit like asking people which distribution they think is best :)
              >
              > That's true and I thought about it BUT it never hurts to get a few ideas. :)

              Note that NedSlider of CentOS has a pretty good postfix/dovcot tutorial
              at wiki.centos.org.

              You could use those two and then, as Godwin says, squirrelmail for the
              web stuff. As for sendmail, well, that's a Godwin thing. He probably
              writes his configu files by hand--I'm never sure when he writes #$#!@ if
              he's cursing me out or sharing his sendmail config. :)

              Buffy: You're a vampire. Oh, I'm sorry. Was that an offensive
              term? Should I say undead American?
            • Michael Kjorling

                On 2 Jan 2009 17:31 -0000, by thad@... (Thad Floryan):
                > That'd work fine, so will qmail (along with SpamAssassin and ClamAV).

                I would suggest against qmail, for one very simple reason: backscatter
                bounces. (Yes, I was on the receiving end a few days ago and in about
                48 hours, it roughly doubled my delivered spam count for December.
                Since those were sent out by legitimate mail servers, there was very
                little I could do about them without significant collateral damage. At
                a guess, a third to half of the backscatter I received during that run
                openly advertised itself as being sent by qmail, and qmail is _very_
                easy to misconfigure so that it sends bounces instead of doing the
                Right Thing (tm) and rejecting mail during the SMTP transaction when
                appropriate. Plus, I have my own personal reasons to dislike
                Bernstein, but that says nothing about the technical merits of his
                software.)

                Myself, I run the combination Postfix + SpamAssassin + Dovecot for
                SMTP and POP3 in a small-scale setup, and have never had any issues
                that weren't easily fixed after realizing that it was a PEBKAC
                situation. Dovecot also does IMAP, but I don't use that. Exim also
                looks very promising from what little I have played with it.

                - --
                Michael Kjörling .. michael@... .. http://michael.kjorling.se
                * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
                * ENCRYPTED email preferred -- OpenPGP key ID: 0x 758F8749 BDE9ADA6 *
                * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML mail, proprietary attachments *

                  On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:06:35AM -0600, Allen D. Tate wrote:
                  > The good news is that I am replacing my windows based mail server. The
                  > bad news is that I'm not sure which *nix based mail server I should use.
                  > Can any of you recommend a mail server for use in a system that will
                  > have less than 100 email addresses? I will also need a web based client
                  > for the staff who connect via browser. Finally, I do have a few mailing
                  > lists that I will need to moved to this machine as well. FWIF, I'm
                  > running CentOS 5.02.
                  >
                  > First step, mail & website on Linux. NExt step, file server. Ultimately,
                  > we switch over to Evergreen. :D

                  Qmail and postfix have always been the two mail servers which I've felt
                  most at home with.

                  Postfix is a good all-rounder by security/scalability wise qmail trumps.

                  Best thing really is not asking which are good, but to pick one of
                  either exim/sendmail/postfix/qmail and learn it well. No mail system
                  should be out of the box, that's just bad. You need to understand it
                  otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

                  - --
                  The T3 to the bathroom is bullshitting like Bob Grant because of the terrible acting by the kid who played anakin.
                  AOL is RNA.
                  :: http://www.s5h.net/ :: http://www.s5h.net/gpg.html

                    On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 05:40:32PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
                    > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Thad Floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
                    > > [...]
                    > > Mixed feelings about SquirrelMail. It was running on a quad Xeon
                    > > system at Levanta and seemed slower than frozen molasses in a
                    > > Vermont Winter (even though system load averages were below 0.1).
                    > > [...]
                    >
                    > Scratch the above comment. I mistook SquirrelMail for the admin
                    > interface used with qmail. It's been 9 months since I've used it
                    > (since Levanta went belly up) and my old notes are out in my
                    > garage.
                    >
                    > Their mail server was a quad Xeon and was fast serving both
                    > qmail and webmail but slow for the admin interface.
                    >
                    > Sorry, too many different program names blurring together since
                    > then setting up several score different distros. :-)

                    That slowness was NOT qmail! That was whatever IMAP daemon was running -
                    which of course has it's own QoS issues...

                    - --
                    The OC48 to www.panic.net is breakdancing because of TK421 not being at his post.
                    Han Solo is blaming George Lucas.
                    :: http://www.s5h.net/ :: http://www.s5h.net/gpg.html
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
                      On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:30:35PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:

                      > On 2 Jan 2009 17:31 -0000, by thad@... (Thad Floryan):
                      > > That'd work fine, so will qmail (along with SpamAssassin and ClamAV).
                      >
                      > I would suggest against qmail, for one very simple reason: backscatter
                      > bounces. (Yes, I was on the receiving end a few days ago and in about
                      > 48 hours, it roughly doubled my delivered spam count for December.
                      > Since those were sent out by legitimate mail servers, there was very
                      > little I could do about them without significant collateral damage. At
                      > a guess, a third to half of the backscatter I received during that run
                      > openly advertised itself as being sent by qmail, and qmail is _very_
                      > easy to misconfigure so that it sends bounces instead of doing the
                      > Right Thing (tm) and rejecting mail during the SMTP transaction when
                      > appropriate. Plus, I have my own personal reasons to dislike
                      > Bernstein, but that says nothing about the technical merits of his
                      > software.)

                      DJB has said that qmail is perfect as is, and won't be doing any
                      updating of it. Backscatter is what it does by default. I have a very
                      rudimentary page on postfix, which discusses it and how to deal with
                      it--all taken from someone else's pages, to which I link in the article.

                      http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/postfix.html

                      Yes, I've gotten hit by qmail's backscatter a few times. The O'Reilly
                      postfix book is no help, it says you should probably simply delete the
                      account or something like that, but of course, the book is somewhat
                      dated.

                      Xander: I don't get your crazy system!
                      Giles: It's called the alphabet.
                      Xander: Would ya look at that.
                    • ed

                          On 2 Jan 2009 19:36 +0000, by ed@... (ed):
                          > However, using validrcptto.cdb allows qmail-smtpd to make a very quick
                          > lookup to see if a recipient is valid or not.

                          Which is something any mail server should do out of the box before
                          accepting an email. And, incidentally, is something you have to
                          actually go out of your way to make Postfix _not_ do.

                          > I can't say I have anything against DJB, who else has taken on the
                          > US government and won???

                          Philip R. Zimmermann, for one? Although I'm not entirely sure he "won"
                          in the legal sense, the case was "only" dropped.

                          - --
                          Michael Kjörling .. michael@... .. http://michael.kjorling.se
                          * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
                          * ENCRYPTED email preferred -- OpenPGP key ID: 0x 758F8749 BDE9ADA6 *
                          * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML mail, proprietary attachments *

                          • Michael Kjorling

                              On 2 Jan 2009 20:23 +0000, by ed@... (ed):
                              >>> However, using validrcptto.cdb allows qmail-smtpd to make a very quick
                              >>> lookup to see if a recipient is valid or not.
                              >>
                              >> Which is something any mail server should do out of the box before
                              >> accepting an email. And, incidentally, is something you have to
                              >> actually go out of your way to make Postfix _not_ do.
                              >
                              > Yeah, they *should* but you shouldn't find yourself in a case where an
                              > internal server is suffering because a mail hub is hammering your
                              > internal servers, which is a possibility where it's left like that in
                              > the wild.

                              So instead, qmail by default causes hammering on the inbox of an
                              innocent third party... no thanks. (Deliberate omission of comma.)

                              If an internal directory server gets overloaded because of mail
                              hammering or address dictionary attacks, the worst that will happen
                              (assuming that it is set up correctly and no MX-side caching of
                              results) is that legitimate mail will be delayed. Annoying, granted,
                              but a lot less so to people not involved in the communication than if
                              they get one or two misdirected bounces per _minute_. And that is
                              still a trickle compared to what it could have been like.

                              - --