totem fc10 issue

  • p sena
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008
      hi,

      could someone pls shed me some light here--

      I am trying to play a dvd movie in my fc10 x_86_64. I have totem and the dependencies installed and my fstab entry is
      /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,ro,kudzu 0 0

      when i insert the dvd i cannot see the icon in desktop which is seen in the case of normal CD. I mount /dev/dvd and then use totem to traverse the /mnt/cdrom area and see lots a *.vob files. Click one of them and get the below message in a pop-up.

      Totem could not play '/mnt/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB'.
      There is no plugin to handle this movie.

      Cheers and TIA.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008
        On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 04:35:46AM -0800, p sena wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > could someone pls shed me some light here--
        >
        > I am trying to play a dvd movie in my fc10 x_86_64. I have totem and the dependencies installed and my fstab entry is
        > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,ro,kudzu 0 0
        >
        > when i insert the dvd i cannot see the icon in desktop which is seen in the case of normal CD. I mount /dev/dvd and then use totem to traverse the /mnt/cdrom area and see lots a *.vob files. Click one of them and get the below message in a pop-up.
        >
        > Totem could not play '/mnt/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB'.
        > There is no plugin to handle this movie.

        You're going to have to enable the rpmfusion non-free repos and get the
        proper codecs I guess. I always use mplayer, which pulls in the
        necessary files.

        Do a quick google for rpm fusion and the unoffficial fedora faq, both of
        which might help.

        Also, do a quick search of Fedora forums, they probably have many posts
        on that, though the search engine there is not the best.

        I assume that adding the codecs would fix the problem, but again, I
        don't use totem, so that's no guarantee. :) However, enabling the
        rpmfusion repos and doing yum install mplayer should pull them all in.

        Drusilla: Your face is a poem. I can read it.
        Xander: It doesn't say 'spare me' by any chance?
      • p sena
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008
            On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 07:45:35AM -0800, p sena wrote:

            > On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 04:35:46AM -0800, p sena wrote:
            >

            > > I am trying to play a dvd movie in my fc10 x_86_64. I have totem and the dependencies installed and my fstab entry is
            >
            > > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto, exec,ro,kudzu 0 0
            >

            > > Totem could not play '/mnt/cdrom/ VIDEO_TS/ VIDEO_TS. VOB'.
            >
            > > There is no plugin to handle this movie.
            >

            > You're going to have to enable the rpmfusion non-free repos and get the
            >
            > proper codecs I guess. I always use mplayer, which pulls in the
            >
            > necessary files.
            >

            > >> Thanks Scott. Mplayer works good.

            Glad it helped. I think that it pulls in all the restricted codecs that
            are necessary.

            Also, when possible, please try to trim replies--that is, remove the
            unnecessary stuff--you can see that I deleted large portions of this
            email. It makes it much easier for other people to follow.

            (The other thing is that some people still pay by the minute for their
            Internet time, so the smaller we can keep things, the better.)

            Thanks and glad it worked.

            Buffy: I told one lie... I had one drink...
            Giles: Yes. And you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon
            snake. The words, 'Let that be a lesson' are a tad redundant at
            this juncture.
          • p sena
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 27, 2008
              On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 07:45:35AM -0800, p sena wrote:

              > On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 04:35:46AM -0800, p sena wrote:

              > > I am trying to play a dvd movie in my fc10 x_86_64. I have totem and the dependencies installed and my fstab entry is

              > > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto, exec,ro,kudzu 0 0

              > > Totem could not play '/mnt/cdrom/ VIDEO_TS/ VIDEO_TS. VOB'.

              > > There is no plugin to handle this movie.

              > You're going to have to enable the rpmfusion non-free repos and get the

              > proper codecs I guess. I always use mplayer, which pulls in the

              > necessary files.

              > >> Thanks Scott. Mplayer works good.

              Glad it helped. I think that it pulls in all the restricted codecs that

              are necessary.

              Also, when possible, please try to trim replies--that is, remove the

              unnecessary stuff--you can see that I deleted large portions of this

              email. It makes it much easier for other people to follow.

              (The other thing is that some people still pay by the minute for their

              Internet time, so the smaller we can keep things, the better.)

              Thanks and glad it worked.

              >>> Scott, Mplayer was/is serving me in audio & video both. I just tried >>>to use the Totem and now I am keeping it aside for the codecs issue may >>>be ad continuing with Mplayer. Well in this same line I would like to >>>know whether there is any method to repeat playing a song in loop in >>>mplayer(cli). I read man of it however couldn't figure out, hence >>>managing with a while [ 1 ] ; do... thing in ksh. Is there a better way >>>to do it from the cli of mplayer ?

              >>>And for the trimming thing, thanks for bringing it to notice. The art >>>of adding the >, >>, >>> things and rules of trimming/replying in these >>>channels, I am still learning. May be i will go through some documents >>>pertaining to this. Hope this time my trim & reply style is Ok.

              thanks much.
            • Mohamed Ali
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
                > nternet time, so the smaller we can keep things, the better.)
                >
                > Thanks and glad it worked.

                > issue may >>>be ad continuing with Mplayer. Well in this same line I would
                > like to >>>know whether there is any method to repeat playing a song in loop
                > in >>>mplayer(cli). I read man of it however couldn't figure out, hence
                > way >>>to do it from >>>the cli of mplayer ?

                > these >>>channels, I am still learning. May be i will go through some
                > documents >>>pertaining to this. Hope this time my trim & reply style is Ok.
                >
                > thanks much.

                mplayer is the best one for linux box if u want to loop just cd into music
                folder and run
                mplayer -shuffle -loop 0 *.mp3 ,

                the "0" mean loop forever u can replace it with the number of time u want to
                loop
                thats it

                Good luck

                --