can any one help me in this...plz i need ur help

  • nasrzg
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
      Introduction
      In this project, we will design a programming solution to the
      bounded-buffer problem using the producer and consumer processes
      shown in Figure 6.10 and Figure 6.11. The solution presented in
      Section 6.6.1 uses three semaphores: empty and full, which count the
      number of empty and full slots in the buffer, and mutex, which is a
      binary (or mutual exclusive) semaphore that protects the actual
      insertion or removal of items in the buffer.
      For this project, standard counting semaphores will be used for
      empty and full, and, rather than a binary semaphore, a mutex lock
      will be used to represent mutex. The producer and consumer – running
      as separate threads – will move items to and from a buffer that is
      synchronized with these empty, full, and mutex structures. You are
      required to use the pthread package to solve this problem in this
      project.

      The Buffer
      Internally, the buffer will consist of a fixed-size array of type
      buffer_item (which will be defined using a typedef). The array of
      buffer_item objects will be manipulated as a circular queue. The
      definition of buffer_item, along with the size of the buffer, can be
      stored in a header file such as the following:
      /* buffer.h */
      typedef int buffer_item;
      #define BUFFER_SIZE 5

      The buffer will be manipulated with two functions, insert_item() and
      remove_item(), which are called by the producer and consumer
      threads, respectively. A skeleton outlining these functions appears
      as:
      #include "buffer.h"
      /* the buffer */
      buffer_item buffer[BUFFER_SIZE];
      int insert_item(buffer_item item) {
      /* insert an item into buffer */
      printf ("producer produced %d\n", item);
      /* return 0 if successful, otherwise
      return -1 indicating an error condition */
      }
      int remove_item(buffer_item *item) {
      /* remove an object from buffer and placing it in item*/
      printf("consumer consumed %d\n", rand);
      /* return 0 if successful, otherwise
      return -1 indicating an error condition */
      }

      The insert_item() and remove_item() functions will synchronize the
      producer and consumer using the algorithms outlined in Figure 6.10
      and 6.11. The buffer will also require an initialization function
      that initializes the mutual exclusive object mutex along with the
      empty and full semaphores.

      The main() function will initialize the buffer and create the
      separate producer and consumer threads. Once it has created the
      producer and consumer threads, the main() function will sleep for a
      period of time and, upon awakening, will terminate the application.
      The main() function will be passed three parameters on the command
      line:
      1. How long to sleep before terminating.
      2. The number of producer threads
      3. The number of consumer threads

      A skeleton for this function appears as:
      #include "buffer.h"
      int main(int argc, char*argv[]) {
      /* 1. Get command line arguments argv[1], argv[2], argv[3] */
      /* 2. Initialize buffer, mutex, semaphores, and other global vars */
      /* 3. Create producer thread(s) */
      /* 4. Create consumer thread(s) */
      /* 5. Sleep */
      /* 6. Release resources, e.g. destroy mutex and semaphores */
      /* 7. Exit */
      }

      Producer and Consumer Threads
      The producer thread will alternate between sleeping for a random
      period of time and inserting a random integer into the buffer.
      Random numbers will be produced using the rand_r(unsigned int *seed)
      function, which produces random integers between 0 and RAND_MAX
      safely in multithreaded processes. The consumer will also sleep for
      a random period of time and, upon awakening, will attempt to remove
      an item from the buffer. An outline of the producer and consumer
      threads appears as:
      #include <stdlib.h> /* required for rand_r(…) */
      #include "buffer.h"
      void *producer(void *param) {
      buffer_item rand;
      while (1) {
      /* sleep for a random period of time */
      sleep(…);
      /* generate a random number */
      rand = rand_r(…);
      if (insert_item(rand) < 0)
      printf(…); // report error condition
      }
      }

      void *consumer(void *param) {
      buffer_item rand;
      while (1) {
      /* sleep for a random period of time */
      sleep (…);
      if (remove_item(&rand) < 0)
      printf(…); // report error condition
      }
      }

      Thread Creation in the pthread package
      The following code sample demonstrates the pthread APIs for creating
      a new thread:
      #include <pthread.h>
      void *thread_entry(void *param) { /* the entry point of a new thread
      */
      …
      }

      int main(…) {
      pthread_t tid;
      pthread_attr_t attr;
      /* get the default attribute */
      pthread_attr_init(&attr);
      /* create a new thread */
      pthread_create(&tid, &attr, thread_entry, NULL);
      …
      }
      The pthread package provides pthread_attr_init(…) function to set
      the default attributes for the new thread. The function
      pthread_create(…) creates a new thread, which starts the execution
      from the entry point specified by the third argument.

      Mutex Locks in the pthread package
      The following code sample illustrates how mutex locks available in
      the pthread API can be used to protect a critical section:
      #include <pthread.h>
      pthread_mutex_t mutex;
      /* create the mutex lock */
      pthread_mutex_init(&mutex, NULL);
      /* acquire the mutex lock */
      pthread_mutex_lock(&mutex);
      /*** critical section ***/
      /* release the mutex lock */
      pthread_mutex_unlock(&mutex);

      The pthread package uses the pthread_mutex_t data type for mutex
      locks. A mutex is created with the pthread_mutex_init(&mutex, NULL)
      function, with the first parameter being a pointer to the mutex. By
      passing NULL as a second parameter, we initialize the mutex to its
      default attributes. The mutex is acquired and released with the
      pthread_mutex_lock(…) and pthread_mutex_unlock(…) functions. If the
      mutex lock is unavailable when pthread_mutex_lock(…) is invoked, the
      calling thread is blocked until the owner invokes
      pthread_mutex_unlock(…). All mutex functions return a value of 0
      with correct operation; if an error occurs, these functions return a
      nonzero value.

      Semaphores in the pthread package
      The pthread package provides two types of semaphores – named and
      unnamed. For this project, we use unnamed semaphores. The code below
      illustrates how a semaphore is created:
      #include <semaphore.h>
      sem_t sem;
      /* create the semaphore and initialize it to 5 */
      sem_init(&sem, 0, BUFFER_SIZE);

      The sem_init(…) creates a semaphore and initialize it. This function
      is passed three parameters:
      1. A pointer to the semaphore
      2. A flag indicating the level of sharing
      3. The semaphore's initial value

      In this example, by passing the flag 0, we are indicating that this
      semaphore can only be shared by threads belonging to the same
      process that created the semaphore. A nonzero value would allow
      other processes to access the semaphore as well. In this example, we
      initialize the semaphore to the value 5.
      For the semaphore operations wait (or down, P) and signal (or up, V)
      discussed in class, the pthread package names them sem_wait(…) and
      sem_post(…), respectively. The code example below creates a binary
      semaphore mutex with an initial value of 1 and illustrates its use
      in protecting a critical section: (Note: The code below is only for
      illustration purposes. Do not use this binary semaphore for
      protecting critical section. Instead, you are required to use the
      mutex locks provided by the pthread package for protecting critical
      section.)
      #include <semaphore.h>
      sem_t sem_mutex;
      /* create the semaphore */
      sem_init(&sem_mutex, 0, 1);
      /* acquire the semaphore */
      sem_wait(&sem_mutex);
      /*** critical section ***/
      /* release the semaphore */
      sem_post(&mutex);

      Compilation:
      You need to link two special libraries to provide multithreaded and
      semaphore support using the command "gcc <files> -lpthread –lrt".

      Test:
      You can start use one producer thread and one consumer thread for
      testing, and gradually use more producer and consumer threads. For
      each test case, you need to make sure that the random numbers
      generated by producer threads should exactly match the random
      numbers consumed by consumer threads (both their orders and their
      values).
    • Godwin Stewart

        On 02/12/08 13:10, nasrzg wrote:

        > Please somebody do my homework for me

        That's not what this group is for.

        - --
        G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

        Mary had a little lamb which walked into a pylon
        Ten thousand volts went up its @$$ and turned its fleece to nylon
      • Robert C Wittig

          nasrzg wrote:

          > Test:
          > You can start use one producer thread and one consumer thread for
          > testing, and gradually use more producer and consumer threads. For
          > each test case, you need to make sure that the random numbers
          > generated by producer threads should exactly match the random
          > numbers consumed by consumer threads (both their orders and their
          > values).

          Ok, I finished the whole project, and everything works fine.

          I posted the solution on-line at:

          http://www.doyourownhomework.com

          - --
          - -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
          http://robertwittig.net/
          http://robertwittig.org/
          .
        • Ajay Gautam
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...> wrote:

            > nasrzg wrote:
            >
            > > Test:
            > > You can start use one producer thread and one consumer thread for
            > > testing, and gradually use more producer and consumer threads. For
            > > each test case, you need to make sure that the random numbers
            > > generated by producer threads should exactly match the random
            > > numbers consumed by consumer threads (both their orders and their
            > > values).
            > >

            > Ok, I finished the whole project, and everything works fine.
            >
            > I posted the solution on-line at:
            >
            > http://www.doyourownhomework.com

            :) Good One.
            I need to bookmark that.

            Ajay
          • nasrzg
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:

              > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@>
              wrote:

              > > nasrzg wrote:
              > >
              > > > Test:
              > > > You can start use one producer thread and one consumer thread
              for
              > > > testing, and gradually use more producer and consumer threads.
              For
              > > > each test case, you need to make sure that the random numbers
              > > > generated by producer threads should exactly match the random
              > > > numbers consumed by consumer threads (both their orders and
              their
              > > > values).
              > > >

              > > Ok, I finished the whole project, and everything works fine.
              > >
              > > I posted the solution on-line at:
              > >
              > > http://www.doyourownhomework.com
              >
              > :) Good One.
              > I need to bookmark that.
              >
              > Ajay

              I thank u mr ajay :)
              but yet i couldnt find it on http://www.doyourownhomework.com
              is there any other way :(

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 06:34:47PM -0000, nasrzg wrote:

                > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@>
                > wrote:

                > for
                > For
                > their
                > > > >

                > I thank u mr ajay :)
                > but yet i couldnt find it on http://www.doyourownhomework.com
                > is there any other way :(

                Ok, I know that Yahoo mail often doesn't quote correctly, but in this
                case, it was Robert rather than Ajay who posted that answer.

                The thing is, it wasn't really an answer. Robert was making a point.
                He was saying that this sounds very very much like a homework question,
                and that you should probably do the best you can on it yourself, or you
                won't learn.

                I don't know enough about programming to judge if it's a homework
                question or not, but it does sound like one. If that's the case, I
                would say that you're always better off admitting that it's homework and
                telling people *where* you're getting stuck. No one will do the whole
                thing for you, but if you're stuck on a particular point, and someone
                knows the answer, they might help.

                Going back to the quoting, again I know that Yahoo messes things up, but
                hopefully, you see that Robert posted the link and Ajay posted a
                response to Robert.

                Buffy: Are you crazy? You just don't sneak up on people in a
                graveyard. You make noise when you walk, you stomp, or... yodel.
              • Robert C Wittig

                  Scott wrote:

                  > The thing is, it wasn't really an answer. Robert was making a point.
                  > He was saying that this sounds very very much like a homework question,
                  > and that you should probably do the best you can on it yourself, or you
                  > won't learn.

                  Yep, that's what I was doing.

                  What really cracked me up, was the the URL I cited actually does
                  exist... appears to be owned by a domain-squatter.

                  - --
                  - -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                  http://robertwittig.net/
                  http://robertwittig.org/
                  .

                  • nasrzg
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...>
                      wrote:

                      :)..no,no u missunderstand me
                      guys im 30
                      im not in college anymore
                      and i dont have homworks :)
                      the thing is im learning linux on the internet and im reading the
                      operating system course and its going well,i fetch projects and i try
                      to solve them..but that one that i just post i couldnt solve..for
                      this reason im seaking ur help.
                      regards...
                    • Ajay Gautam
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "nasrzg" <nasrzg@...> wrote:

                        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@>
                        > wrote:

                        > for
                        > For
                        > their
                        > > > >

                        > > > Ok, I finished the whole project, and everything works fine.
                        > > >
                        > > > I posted the solution on-line at:
                        > > >
                        > > > http://www.doyourownhomework.com
                        > >
                        > > :) Good One.
                        > > I need to bookmark that.
                        > >
                        > > Ajay
                        >

                        > I thank u mr ajay :)
                        > but yet i couldnt find it on http://www.doyourownhomework.com
                        > is there any other way :(

                        YHGTBFKM
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:

                          > YHGTBFKM

                          I really did burst out laughing when I worked out what that acronym
                          meant :D

                          I guess humour sails right over the heads of some people.

                          *sigh*
                        • Dale Miller
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                            Godwin Stewart wrote:
                            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> YHGTBFKM
                            >>

                            > I really did burst out laughing when I worked out what that acronym
                            > meant :D
                            >
                            > I guess humour sails right over the heads of some people.
                            >
                            > *sigh*

                            I couldn't figure that one out...oh well.

                            --
                            All the Best & 73's
                            Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                            stpatrick2spam@...
                            stpatrick3spam@...
                            stpatrick3spam@...

                            (cut the spam to reply)

                            VOTE TO REBUILD!
                            www.twintowersalliance.com

                            ---
                          • Robert C Wittig

                              Dale Miller wrote:

                              > Godwin Stewart wrote:
                              >> --- In linux@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linux%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ajay
                              > Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:
                              >>

                              >>> YHGTBFKM
                              >>>

                              >> I really did burst out laughing when I worked out what that acronym
                              >> meant :D
                              >>
                              >> I guess humour sails right over the heads of some people.
                              >>
                              >> *sigh*
                              >>

                              > I couldn't figure that one out...oh well.

                              Google is your friend... I found it out the lazy person's way:

                              You Have Got To Be F*cking Kidding Me

                              - --
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                                On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Dale Miller <stpatrick2@...> wrote:
                                > Godwin Stewart wrote:
                                >> --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> YHGTBFKM
                                >>>

                                >> I really did burst out laughing when I worked out what that acronym
                                >> meant :D
                                >>
                                >> I guess humour sails right over the heads of some people.
                                >>
                                >> *sigh*
                                >>

                                > I couldn't figure that one out...oh well.

                                Google it.

                                Ajay
                              • Godwin Stewart

                                  On 02/12/08 19:58, nasrzg wrote:

                                  > :)..no,no u missunderstand me
                                  > guys im 30
                                  > im not in college anymore
                                  > and i dont have homworks :)
                                  > the thing is im learning linux on the internet and im reading the
                                  > operating system course and its going well,i fetch projects and i try
                                  > to solve them..but that one that i just post i couldnt solve..for
                                  > this reason im seaking ur help.

                                  It's good that you're trying to keep on the ball.

                                  The way things are done round here, though, is to have a stab at it
                                  yourself. If you come up against specific problems then by all means ask for
                                  help on a mailing list or in a forum stating what you've done to try and
                                  solve them and what results you got. It's a common courtesy in order to
                                  avoid others the trouble of going again through what you've already done.

                                  This page, although it won't help directly with your problem, certainly will
                                  help you understand how to go about solving it and how to ask for help in
                                  the most efficient way:

                                  G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

                                  The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it
                                  back in your pocket.
                                • Harold Hitchcock
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                                    _____

                                    Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:

                                    >>> YHGTBFKM
                                    >>>

                                    >> I really did burst out laughing when I worked out what that acronym
                                    >> meant :D
                                    >>
                                    >> I guess humour sails right over the heads of some people.
                                    >>
                                    >> *sigh*
                                    >>

                                    > I couldn't figure that one out...oh well.

                                    Google it.

                                    Ajay

                                    I asked my kid of course. He knew it immediately.

                                    I worry about that boy.../harold

                                  • Robert C Wittig

                                      Thad Floryan wrote:

                                      > The Yahoo group is "Twincling" per:

                                      It isn't often I join a Group (Lack-O-Time), but this one front page
                                      blurb really caught my attention, so I signed on.

                                      If it is as interesting as it looks, I will probably learn something.

                                      - --
                                      - -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                                      http://robertwittig.net/
                                      http://robertwittig.org/
                                      .
                                    • Allen D. Tate
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                                        > I think I'll join the Twincling group, too, since I just left the
                                        > "ubuntulinux" group due to their unacceptable message policies.

                                        Those policies are only unacceptable to you. I'm not trying to start a
                                        flame war here so don't take this as such, I'm just passing along
                                        information. :)

                                        I am one of the moderators there (with a personal email address, not
                                        this one). In all the time I've been there, there's only been one person
                                        complain that the messages are moderated.
                                        --
                                        Allen D. Tate
                                        Head of Computer Services

                                        http://www.ohio.lib.in.us/ (Library Home Page)
                                        http://www.opensourceinlibraries.com/ (Open Source In Libraries)

                                        The views expressed in this message are not necessarily
                                        those of the Ohio Township Public Library System.
                                      • Godwin Stewart

                                          On 03/12/08 13:46, Allen D. Tate wrote:

                                          > I am one of the moderators there (with a personal email address, not
                                          > this one). In all the time I've been there, there's only been one person
                                          > complain that the messages are moderated.

                                          FWIW, messages are moderated here, too, until posters have shown that
                                          they're here to contribute and that they're willing to stick to group policies.

                                          - --
                                          G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...
                                          linux@yahoogroups.com group owner/moderator
                                        • Allen D. Tate
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                                            > I'm not singling-out the ubuntulinux group; I also left some astronomy
                                            > groups a year ago for the same reason.
                                            >
                                            > There are ways to stop alleged spam instead of moderating everything.

                                            True. I don't own the list so I really have no say in the matter. I
                                            don't disagree with you BUT I also see the other point of view as well.
                                            I run some music sites that pretty much only get spammed by new members
                                            so they stay moderated too. :)

                                              Thad Floryan wrote:

                                              > And I just found the reason why: 100% conversion to Linux from Windows
                                              > even in the schools. The children don't even know what Windows is.

                                              I suspect that the Global economic downturn / recession / whatever is
                                              going to wind up influencing a lot of people to move from Windows
                                              (expensive) to Linux (free) for purely economic reasons.

                                              > I think I'll join the Twincling group, too, since I just left the
                                              > "ubuntulinux" group due to their unacceptable message policies.

                                              I noticed when I signed on that Twincling is a 'moderated' list.

                                              This doesn't bother me too much, as I am primarily interested in
                                              knowledge acquisition.

                                              I've been on the misc@openbsd list for several years now, and have
                                              probably only posted about a dozen times.

                                              Of course, I would have posted more, but my OpenBSD server, once
                                              properly configured, has been running on autopilot, serving web pages
                                              and email to six domains without a glitch, since I first put it
                                              on-line. :)

                                              - --
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 5, 2008
                                                > <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8>
                                                > "
                                                > " Windows 89.62 %
                                                > " Mac OS 8.87 %
                                                > " Linux 0.83 %
                                                > " iPhone 0.37 %
                                                > " Playstation 0.04 %
                                                > " *BSD 0.02 %
                                                > " SunOS 0.01 %
                                                > "
                                                > " *BSD implies FreeBSD + NetBSD + OpenBSD

                                                Thats what you get for reading biased real-world reports.

                                                If you were to ask me, I would give you the complete unbiased reports:

                                                Windows: 0%
                                                Mac: 50%
                                                Linux: 50%
                                                rest all are 0 too.

                                                You see, I have 2 computers. One is mac, one is linux ;)

                                                Ajay
                                              • Alexandru Fira
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 5, 2008
                                                    Good Choice, Mr. Ajay !

                                                                                            Alex

                                                • Jye Nigma
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 16, 2008
                                                    >>> I really did burst out laughing when I worked out what that acronym
                                                    >>> meant :D
                                                    >>> I guess humour sails right over the heads of some people.
                                                    >>> *sigh*
                                                    >> I couldn't figure that one out...oh well.
                                                    > Google it.
                                                    >
                                                    > Ajay

                                                    To the original poster:
                                                    Try a different approach; state where you're stuck, let us know what you've
                                                    tried, and go from there....in other words people here respect and will
                                                    willingly help when they see initative.

                                                    Jye