Re: [linux] Distro upgrades (WAS: Re: HP LaserJet 6P Help)

    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 29, 2008
      On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 02:21:50PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 04:18:04AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
      >
      > >From my notes, the one you would want is this one:
      >
      > <http://www.linux-games.com/penguin-command/>
      >
      > though, oddly, I cannot reach that site at the moment; if you need
      > the tar.gz file, I could place it on my website. The dependencies
      > are/were the requirement for the SDL libs; the minimum required was
      > (on Ubuntu):

      Hrrm, I might have tried to build this on CentOS and found that my SDL's
      were too old. Or else it couldn't find them in /usr/lib64 or something.
      I might be wrong though, I should try again.

      > > > I'm tempted to create my own Linux distro that does everything
      > > > right.
      > >
      > > What would that distro be like?
      > > [...]
      >
      > At the minimum, a complete set of all development tools would be
      > built-in along with emacs (which I've been using since the 1970s).
      > I am a software developer (among other things) and it's a royal pain
      > with most distros to find them devoid out-of-the-box of the things I
      > need and want. A default would probably be twm (tiny window manager)
      > since I don't feel strongly one way or the other about Gnome or KDE
      > even though one or the other is on all the distros I have here. My
      > vision is an uncrippled lean-and-mean machine. :-)

      Sounds like Arch save for X being included. :) I always thought twm
      stood for The, rather than Tiny.

      I like fluxbox myself. I can quickly customize it, and then open things
      with a couple of keystrokes and move the windows around. The DE stuff
      is stuff that I don't use. (I wonder if your cups issues are CUPS
      itself or the DE that you use. If you use Gnome or KDE's printer tools,
      they don't always interact properly with cups.)

      Yes most of the mainstream distros (again, Arch is an exception) don't
      include the developer tools. Ubuntu has its build-essential package,
      Fedora has its overkill of Developer Tools package (as well as several
      others, divided by WM, java and other things.)

      Xander: I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say
      they're not good.
    • Godwin Stewart