cron problem

  • farida khan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
      i am working on RHEL 4 and facing some problem with
      crontab. I have set the 0-59/5 * * * * root /sbin/ls-l in
      /etc/crontab . then i had make crontuser also but it is
      not effective .any please help me and give me accurate
      setting which will for me .

      Get your preferred Email name!
      Now you can @... and @....

    • jamshed zaidi
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
        hi,

        It suggest me that you didn't reload/restart you crond service. check the service is properly reloaded.

        # service crond reload/restart

        if it will not run then make sure check the logs against that user in /var/log/messages

        paste the logs here it will be more beneficial for the linux gurus here to help you out.

        Regards,
        Jamshed

        Syed Jamshed
        Zaidi Voice: +92 (0) 0321 408 7492
        Solution
        Integrator, MM & SI

        Ericsson Pakistan (Pvt)
        Ltd.

        61-A, F-7/G7,Jinnah
        Avenue
        Saudi Pak Tower, Blue Area
        P.O Box:2442,
        Islamabad,
        Pakistan
        www.ericsson.com
        �Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you�ll land among the stars.�

        To: linux@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
          On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:24:03PM -0700, farida khan wrote:
          > i am working on RHEL 4 and facing some problem with
          > crontab. I have set the 0-59/5 * * * * root /sbin/ls-l in
          > /etc/crontab . then i had make crontuser also but it is
          > not effective .any please help me and give me accurate
          > setting which will for me .

          What are you trying to do?

          0-59/5

          might be easier understood if you write it as

          */5

          also, I think that /bin/ls is a more common location for the directory
          listing program.

          --
          The DSL to 3rd floor is not authenticating because of Some newbie fatfingering their password.
          Valve Software is asleep.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
            From: ed <ed@...>
            Subject: Re: [linux] cron problem
            To: linux@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 4:22 PM

            On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:24:03PM -0700, farida khan wrote:
            > i am working on RHEL 4 and facing some problem with
            > crontab. I have set the 0-59/5 * * * * root /sbin/ls-l in
            > /etc/crontab . then i had make crontuser also but it is
            > not effective .any please help me and give me accurate
            > setting which will for me .

            I had a problem with testing cron jobs a while ago. First, I didn't put the full path to my job and then I set it up for the next minute. I was unaware that you had to wait a full minute before it would be picked up to run. I had to set it up for two minutes in advance.

            0-59/5 * * * * /job
            Should run every five minutes. Some versions can use the shortcut
            */5 * * * * /job

            I don't know quite what you're trying to do, but if you're trying to run ls every five minutes then you're on the right track.

            Matt