Re: Basic information request.

  • Harold Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "hsjacobus" <hsjacobus@...> wrote:

      > ? What about bookkeeping programs like Quickbooks? A lot of software
      > questions are I guess my biggies.

      I have used Quickbooks Pro at work and at home for several years. I
      have been learning Linux for about a year; maybe a month or two more.
      From what I have read in the past year about Linux and Quickbooks
      using Wine or some crossover program, some programs run quite well but
      many don't do so well. I have just kept a computer loaded with QB and
      use it within Windows. I have no personal experience with Wine or
      running any Windows application in Linux. Gnucash is pretty good as
      far as I can see. I have dabbled in it but since I have to use QB
      within windows I haven't made the switch completely over to Gnucash.
      If you are like me then you don't have a lot of time to devote to
      learning a new accounting program when you have work to do that you
      know how to do in QB.

      You are going to have a leaning curve in Linux alone without trying to
      run QB with Wine or some other crossover program between you and
      Quickbooks.

      I am not trashing Linux. I run Mepis 7.0, Kubuntu 8.04, and Mint 5 KDE
      and like them all. I also try out others to see how they look and
      work. I have learned a lot in the past year and really like the idea
      of not having to buy all that software to keep things going and
      somewhat secure from hackers, etc. I yearn for the time that I can
      make the complete switch from Window to Linux. It is not as far off as
      it was a year ago.

      I am not a computer whiz as I am self taught. I don't think you will
      be disappointed if try Linux and want something better than what
      Microsoft has to offer. But, I would recommend keeping Windows just
      for Quickbooks for now. Maybe soon there will be an alternative.

      Thanks,
      Harold

      'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the
      government and I'm here to help.' - Ronald Reagan
    • Robert C Wittig
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2008
        Harold Williams wrote:

        > I have used Quickbooks Pro at work and at home for several years. I
        > have been learning Linux for about a year; maybe a month or two more.
        >>From what I have read in the past year about Linux and Quickbooks
        > using Wine or some crossover program, some programs run quite well but
        > many don't do so well. I have just kept a computer loaded with QB and
        > use it within Windows.

        I have been running Linux and BSD-UNIX for over eight years, and still
        have a dedicated machine running an ancient installation of Windows
        2000 (non-Internet use). QuickBooks is one of the apps I am not ready
        to stop using, as is Photoshop, and a long list of vintage DOS/ Early
        Windows apps.

        > I am not trashing Linux. I run Mepis 7.0, Kubuntu 8.04, and Mint 5 KDE
        > and like them all. I also try out others to see how they look and
        > work. I have learned a lot in the past year and really like the idea
        > of not having to buy all that software to keep things going and
        > somewhat secure from hackers, etc. I yearn for the time that I can
        > make the complete switch from Window to Linux. It is not as far off as
        > it was a year ago.

        I don't plan on ever totally abandoning DOS/Windows 2000... I just
        have too many ancient apps that I have been using for 20-25 years,
        that I still use.

        --
        -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
        http://robertwittig.net/