Re: Basic information request.

  • torpex505
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
      hsjacobus wrote:

      <snip>

      > ? What about bookkeeping programs like Quickbooks? A lot of software
      > questions are I guess my biggies.

      <snip>

      You can run certain windoze programs on linux using Wine or Crossover
      office. Go check out the CodeWeavers Cross Over Office compatibility
      list to see if your programs are listed. If so fork out the $30 or
      whatever it is now and buy the standard version, or install
      Wine-doors(free).

      As for Quickbooks, CodeWeavers themselves use Quickbooks on linux
      using their own crossover office product.
      (http://www.linux.com/feature/41026)

      -or a linux native alternative to quickbooks-

      "Like Quicken:
      http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/
      http://www.gnucash.org/

      Very powerful and robust, like Quickbooks:
      http://www.sql-ledger.org/"

      -Eric
    • Harold Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "hsjacobus" <hsjacobus@...> wrote:

        > ? What about bookkeeping programs like Quickbooks? A lot of software
        > questions are I guess my biggies.

        I have used Quickbooks Pro at work and at home for several years. I
        have been learning Linux for about a year; maybe a month or two more.
        From what I have read in the past year about Linux and Quickbooks
        using Wine or some crossover program, some programs run quite well but
        many don't do so well. I have just kept a computer loaded with QB and
        use it within Windows. I have no personal experience with Wine or
        running any Windows application in Linux. Gnucash is pretty good as
        far as I can see. I have dabbled in it but since I have to use QB
        within windows I haven't made the switch completely over to Gnucash.
        If you are like me then you don't have a lot of time to devote to
        learning a new accounting program when you have work to do that you
        know how to do in QB.

        You are going to have a leaning curve in Linux alone without trying to
        run QB with Wine or some other crossover program between you and
        Quickbooks.

        I am not trashing Linux. I run Mepis 7.0, Kubuntu 8.04, and Mint 5 KDE
        and like them all. I also try out others to see how they look and
        work. I have learned a lot in the past year and really like the idea
        of not having to buy all that software to keep things going and
        somewhat secure from hackers, etc. I yearn for the time that I can
        make the complete switch from Window to Linux. It is not as far off as
        it was a year ago.

        I am not a computer whiz as I am self taught. I don't think you will
        be disappointed if try Linux and want something better than what
        Microsoft has to offer. But, I would recommend keeping Windows just
        for Quickbooks for now. Maybe soon there will be an alternative.

        Thanks,
        Harold

        'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the
        government and I'm here to help.' - Ronald Reagan
      • Robert C Wittig
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 30, 2008
          Harold Williams wrote:

          > I have used Quickbooks Pro at work and at home for several years. I
          > have been learning Linux for about a year; maybe a month or two more.
          >>From what I have read in the past year about Linux and Quickbooks
          > using Wine or some crossover program, some programs run quite well but
          > many don't do so well. I have just kept a computer loaded with QB and
          > use it within Windows.

          I have been running Linux and BSD-UNIX for over eight years, and still
          have a dedicated machine running an ancient installation of Windows
          2000 (non-Internet use). QuickBooks is one of the apps I am not ready
          to stop using, as is Photoshop, and a long list of vintage DOS/ Early
          Windows apps.

          > I am not trashing Linux. I run Mepis 7.0, Kubuntu 8.04, and Mint 5 KDE
          > and like them all. I also try out others to see how they look and
          > work. I have learned a lot in the past year and really like the idea
          > of not having to buy all that software to keep things going and
          > somewhat secure from hackers, etc. I yearn for the time that I can
          > make the complete switch from Window to Linux. It is not as far off as
          > it was a year ago.

          I don't plan on ever totally abandoning DOS/Windows 2000... I just
          have too many ancient apps that I have been using for 20-25 years,
          that I still use.

          --
          -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
          http://robertwittig.net/