LINUX UPDATES AND PACKAGE MANAGER

  • aar2an
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
      HELLO
      WHY CANT I INSTALL UPDATES OR DOWN LOAD FROM PACKAGE MANAGER
      ANY MORE NEW TO THE LINUX SYSTEM NOT SURE WHAT I DID BELOW IS PASTE OF
      ERRORS

      W: Failed to fetch
      http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/u/util-linux/mount_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
      Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111
      Connection refused)

      PLEASE HELP.

      MATT
    • torpex505
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "aar2an" <aar2an@...> wrote:

        > HELLO
        > WHY CANT I INSTALL UPDATES OR DOWN LOAD FROM PACKAGE MANAGER
        > ANY MORE NEW TO THE LINUX SYSTEM NOT SURE WHAT I DID BELOW IS PASTE OF
        > ERRORS
        >
        > W: Failed to fetch

        http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/u/util-linux/mount_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
        > Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111
        > Connection refused)
        >

        > PLEASE HELP.
        >
        > MATT

        It sounds like you don't have internet connection. If you are sure
        that your connection is good, open a terminal and type [ apt-get
        update ] and see if it connects to all active repos.
      • matt gregory
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008

          yes internet is connected
          i will try terminal

          > WHY CANT I INSTALL UPDATES OR DOWN LOAD FROM PACKAGE MANAGER
          > ANY MORE NEW TO THE LINUX SYSTEM NOT SURE WHAT I DID BELOW IS PASTE OF
          > ERRORS
          >
          > W: Failed to fetch

          http://us.archive ubuntu.com/ ubuntu/pool/ main/u/util- linux/mount_ 2.13.1-5ubuntu3_ i386.deb
          > Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111
          > Connection refused)
          >

          > PLEASE HELP.
          >
          > MATT

          It sounds like you don't have internet connection. If you are sure
          that your connection is good, open a terminal and type [ apt-get
          update ] and see if it connects to all active repos.

        • Harold Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "torpex505" <torpex505@...> wrote:

            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "aar2an" <aar2an@> wrote:
            > >
            > > HELLO
            > > WHY CANT I INSTALL UPDATES OR DOWN LOAD FROM PACKAGE MANAGER
            > > ANY MORE NEW TO THE LINUX SYSTEM NOT SURE WHAT I DID BELOW IS PASTE OF
            > > ERRORS
            > >
            > > W: Failed to fetch

            http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/u/util-linux/mount_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
            > > Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111
            > > Connection refused)
            > >

            > > PLEASE HELP.
            > >
            > > MATT
            > >

            > It sounds like you don't have internet connection. If you are sure
            > that your connection is good, open a terminal and type [ apt-get
            > update ] and see if it connects to all active repos.

            You may have to type into konsole as root the following:
            gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
            Then delete the repository listed above and save the file. If you
            don't have gedit then use nano. Then try apt-get update.

            I just had a similiar problem recently and was able to fix mine this way.

            Harold
          • matt gregory
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
              I ran apt-get updates in the terminal but received the same error message I have internet connection.
              This all started recently perhaps I installed something on accident that is now prohibiting me from having this port open or being able to update??????????

            • matt gregory
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
                gedit /etc/apt/sources. list
                GAVE ME THIS ERROR

                (gedit:20764): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
                Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
                (THEY ARE UNIVERSE AND MULTIVERSE BUT I CANT EVEN UPGRADE FIREFOX)

                AND A SOURCE LIST IN A SEPARATE SCREEN

                THE NANO COMMAND GAVE A NEW SCREEN

                GNU nano 2.0.7 File: /ect/apt/sources.list Modified

                Then delete the repository listed above and save the file.

                NOT SURE HOW TO DO THIS:(

                > > WHY CANT I INSTALL UPDATES OR DOWN LOAD FROM PACKAGE MANAGER
                > > ANY MORE NEW TO THE LINUX SYSTEM NOT SURE WHAT I DID BELOW IS PASTE OF
                > > ERRORS
                > >
                > > W: Failed to fetch

                http://us.archive ubuntu.com/ ubuntu/pool/ main/u/util- linux/mount_ 2.13.1-5ubuntu3_ i386.deb
                > > Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111
                > > Connection refused)
                > >

                > > PLEASE HELP.
                > >
                > > MATT
                > >

                > It sounds like you don't have internet connection. If you are sure
                > that your connection is good, open a terminal and type [ apt-get
                > update ] and see if it connects to all active repos.

                You may have to type into konsole as root the following:
                gedit /etc/apt/sources. list
                Then delete the repository listed above and save the file. If you
                don't have gedit then use nano. Then try apt-get update.

                I just had a similiar problem recently and was able to fix mine this way.

                Harold

              • Raquel
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
                  On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:42:03 -0700 (PDT)
                  matt gregory <aar2an@...> wrote:

                  > gedit /etc/apt/sources. list
                  > GAVE ME THIS ERROR
                  >
                  > (gedit:20764): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
                  > manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
                  > authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
                  > authentication failed. (THEY ARE UNIVERSE AND MULTIVERSE BUT I CANT
                  > EVEN UPGRADE FIREFOX)
                  >
                  > AND A SOURCE LIST IN A SEPARATE SCREEN
                  >
                  > THE NANO COMMAND GAVE A NEW SCREEN
                  >
                  > GNU nano 2.0.7
                  > File: /ect/apt/sources.list Modified
                  >
                  > Then delete the repository listed above and save the file.
                  >
                  > NOT SURE HOW TO DO THIS:(

                  Please do not use all caps. It makes it appear that you are yelling
                  at us.

                  Did you try to modify sources.list as root or using a non-privileged
                  account?

                  --
                  Raquel
                  http://www.byraquel.com