Kickstart question (how to force static IP after installation)

  • Unix Admin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9 10:02 AM
      Hello Linux gurus,

      I have a question related to Kickstart. I setup my kickstart + dhcp server
      and finally installed the OS on a client.

      But, the client is still taking DHCP IP address which I want to turn to
      static one.

      The help I need is:
      1) How to change the DHCP to static IP on client side?
      2) How to make sure that client will take static IP address after
      installation?

      I am not very much into Linux (basically Solaris admin). Any help will be
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Unix Admin

    • vikassharma_del
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9 12:11 PM
        I found the solution to the problem by myself. :-)

        The problem was the backup file which I named as ifcfg-
        eth0.ORIG.060608

        After some time investment, and in front of the system, I found that
        my system was taking following files in following sequence:

        ifcfg-eth0
        ifcfg-eth0.ORIG.060608

        I am wondering the way Linux was designed that it took the
        interface's actual + other junk file as well (when I renamed the
        second file to something else, which doesn't have ifcfg-eth0 in
        starting, it cameup fine). Definately it need to be modified by Linux
        engineers (I mean the RHEL guys) :-)

        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Unix Admin" <unix.95054@...> wrote:

        > Hello Linux gurus,
        >
        > I have a question related to Kickstart. I setup my kickstart + dhcp
        server
        > and finally installed the OS on a client.
        >
        > But, the client is still taking DHCP IP address which I want to
        turn to
        > static one.
        >
        > The help I need is:
        > 1) How to change the DHCP to static IP on client side?
        > 2) How to make sure that client will take static IP address after
        > installation?
        >
        > I am not very much into Linux (basically Solaris admin). Any help
        will be
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Unix Admin

      • AMBARISH Sawant
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10 1:39 AM
          You can also assign FIXED IP ( like static IP ) with the help of MAC Bounding
          This setting can be done in dhcpd.conf file

          Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10 12:00 PM
            On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:11:21 -0000
            "vikassharma_del" <unix.95054@...> wrote:

            > I found the solution to the problem by myself. :-)
            >
            > The problem was the backup file which I named as ifcfg-
            > eth0.ORIG.060608
            >
            > After some time investment, and in front of the system, I found that
            > my system was taking following files in following sequence:
            >
            > ifcfg-eth0
            > ifcfg-eth0.ORIG.060608
            >
            > I am wondering the way Linux was designed that it took the
            > interface's actual + other junk file as well (when I renamed the
            > second file to something else, which doesn't have ifcfg-eth0 in
            > starting, it cameup fine). Definately it need to be modified by Linux
            > engineers (I mean the RHEL guys) :-)

            /etc/rcN.d/ works a little like this. If you copied a symlink else
            where, but left it in that directory then it would be also be treated
            the same way.

            Generally you're going to benefit from putting backups in your home
            directory when automated scripts iterate a configuration directory.

            --
            The SCSI Controller to the Xbox is paging like Tristan because of All
            your base are belong to us. The Rebel Alliance is unaware that they