How to change the ip address

  • Kurian Polachan
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
      hi,
      please do answer my doubts

      1. I have a linux machine ....i need to know how to change the ip
      address and subnet mask through the command line...????
      2. I also need to how to configure the ethernet interface for dhcp???

      --
      Kurian Polachan
      Electronics and Communication Engineering (E8B)
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
        Kurian Polachan wrote:

        > hi,
        > please do answer my doubts
        >
        > 1. I have a linux machine ....i need to know how to change the ip
        > address and subnet mask through the command line...????

        ifconfig ethN a.b.c.d netmask e.f.g.h broadcast i.j.k.l

        replace a.b.c.d with your desired IP address, e.f.g.h with your desired
        netmask and i.j.k.l with your broadcast address

        This information is available in the man pages and a little google work.
        Very common question indeed.

        > 2. I also need to how to configure the ethernet interface for dhcp???

        usually

        dhclient ethN

        or

        dhcpd ethN

        --
        The ATM to the demarc is breakdancing because of a faulty regex.
        The Rebel Alliance is looking for someone to blame.

      • Michael Kjorling
        • Abdullah Al Mamun/Topon
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
            Please type # man ifconfig

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
              On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 03:15:28PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:

              > On 1 Mar 2008 19:31 +0530, by kurianpol@... (Kurian Polachan):
              > > 1. I have a linux machine ....i need to know how to change the ip
              > > address and subnet mask through the command line...????
              >
              > man ifconfig

              Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
              docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
              shot.

              Of course, to the original poster, you could look at the list faq.
              The URL of the faq was given you when you joined the list
              and since this is a common question, I put it on there.

              As a matter of fact, I'll add how to configure DHCP to it now--though,
              judging from the fact that so many questions on this list indicate
              people don't bother to look at it makes me wonder if it's worth the
              effort.

              > > 2. I also need to how to configure the ethernet interface for dhcp???
              >
              > man dhcpcd

              Only if his distribution has it. :) Or man dhclient with, for example,
              RH based distros--not sure about Debian ones.

              Buffy: It's weird, though. In this way, I feel like he's still
              watching me.
              Willow: Well, in a way he sort of is...in the way of that he's right
              over there.
            • Michael Kjorling

                On 1 Mar 2008 15:56 -0500, by scottro@... (Scott):
                >>> 1. I have a linux machine ....i need to know how to change the ip
                >>> address and subnet mask through the command line...????
                >>
                >> man ifconfig
                >
                > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
                > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
                > shot.

                Really? It doesn't seem quite so bad to me. From the synopsis at the
                top:

                ifconfig interface [aftype] options | address ...

                And under the "OPTIONS" section:

                netmask addr
                Set the IP network mask for this interface. This value defaults to the
                usual class A, B or C network mask (as derived from the interface IP
                address), but it can be set to any value.

                address
                The IP address to be assigned to this interface.

                Putting these two together you get a command line like "ifconfig eth0
                netmask 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1", which just so happens to work
                perfectly with ifconfig 1.42 and does exactly what the OP wants,
                namely, replaces the IPv4 address on the specified interface. :)
                Obviously you could specify the address family explicitly but that
                seems like overkill in this case, as the default is IPv4 - and
                probably will remain so for the foreseeable future.

                >>> 2. I also need to how to configure the ethernet interface for dhcp???
                >>
                >> man dhcpcd
                >
                > Only if his distribution has it. :) Or man dhclient with, for example,
                > RH based distros--not sure about Debian ones.

                This is why it helps if people specify the distribution they use.
                Which also just happens to be mentioned in the FAQ, right there at the
                beginning of "what sort of information should I give" :)

                - --
                Michael Kjörling .. michael@... .. http://michael.kjorling.se
                * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
                * ENCRYPTED email preferred -- OpenPGP key ID: 0x(758F8749)BDE9ADA6 *
                * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML mail, proprietary attachments *

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                  On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:11:11PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:

                  > >> man ifconfig
                  > >
                  > > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
                  > > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
                  > > shot.
                  >
                  > Really? It doesn't seem quite so bad to me. From the synopsis at the
                  > top:
                  >
                  > ifconfig interface [aftype] options | address ...

                  Ok, these days, I would be able to figure it out.

                  On the other hand, I do remember back in the day, not having a clue what
                  it meant and having to google for it.

                  However, on OpenBSD, they have this amazing section. It's called.....

                  EXAMPLES

                  And I don't think that anyone's ever accused Theo of dumbing it down for
                  the masses. :)

                  > Putting these two together you get a command line like "ifconfig eth0
                  > netmask 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1", which just so happens to work
                  > perfectly with ifconfig 1.42 and does exactly what the OP wants,
                  > namely, replaces the IPv4 address on the specified interface. :)
                  > Obviously you could specify the address family explicitly but that
                  > seems like overkill in this case, as the default is IPv4 - and
                  > probably will remain so for the foreseeable future.

                  Yes, I remember years ago, your post on playing with IPv6. Do you still
                  play with it by the way? (I remember your example got a bunch of us
                  trying it.)

                  As I think of it, I remember winding up in the BSD docs to get it
                  working. :)

                  > >> man dhcpcd
                  > >
                  > > Only if his distribution has it. :) Or man dhclient with, for example,
                  > > RH based distros--not sure about Debian ones.
                  >
                  > This is why it helps if people specify the distribution they use.
                  > Which also just happens to be mentioned in the FAQ, right there at the
                  > beginning of "what sort of information should I give" :)

                  Ah yes--again, back in the days, when I proudly spent hours on that FAQ.
                  Of course, back then, people actually read it.

                  After a few years of primarily using various BSDs, when a job change
                  brought me back to Linux, I used to email Godwin almost daily,
                  complaining about horrible the man pages are in comparison.

                  It's really like learning guitar on a child's toy, then buying a good
                  one. Then, one day, you have to go back to that child's toy, with the
                  strings 2 cms off the neck of the instrument.

                  Spike: It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell my friends. They
                  don't have a rock this
                  big.
                • Jim Reimer
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                    Scott wrote:

                    <snip>

                    > As a matter of fact, I'll add how to configure DHCP to it now--though,
                    > judging from the fact that so many questions on this list indicate
                    > people don't bother to look at it makes me wonder if it's worth the
                    > effort.

                    <more snip>

                    Something as important and informative as the list FAQ deserves
                    to have it's own automatic monthly reminder email to the list.

                    (Doesn't it?)

                    It's just soooo much trouble to go to the group's page on Yahoo
                    (is it Micro$oft yet?) to find the URL.....

                    ;-)
                    --
                    -jdr-
                  • Godwin Stewart
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                        On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 06:41:28AM -0600, Jim Reimer wrote:
                        > Scott wrote:
                        >
                        > <snip>
                        >
                        > > As a matter of fact, I'll add how to configure DHCP to it now--though,
                        > > judging from the fact that so many questions on this list indicate
                        > > people don't bother to look at it makes me wonder if it's worth the
                        > > effort.
                        >
                        > <more snip>
                        >
                        > Something as important and informative as the list FAQ deserves
                        > to have it's own automatic monthly reminder email to the list.

                        Thank you. I used to do that, but again, it seemed that it was basically
                        ignored. This was back in the days before every distro got their own
                        (usually very good) forum and mailing list, back when the yahoogroups
                        were about the only game in town.

                        This is one reason I don't really keep it up to date anymore--laziness
                        and less free time are factors of course.

                        > (Doesn't it?)

                        It does, but (sigh) it didn't work. :) Again, the FAQ by now, is quite
                        dated in parts.

                        > It's just soooo much trouble to go to the group's page on Yahoo
                        > (is it Micro$oft yet?) to find the URL.....

                        Heh, most of the newcomers are reading it in Outlook or Outlook Express,
                        so they should just have to click. :)

                        Buffy: I didn't say you were stupid! So... stop being an idiot
                        and let me fix this!
                      • Michael Kjorling
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                            On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 02:27:24PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:

                            > On 2 Mar 2008 06:12 -0500, by scottro@... (Scott):
                            > > And I don't think that anyone's ever accused Theo of dumbing it down for
                            > > the masses. :)
                            >
                            > That's probably true :) I remember I was pretty stumped by a
                            > bare-bones OpenBSD installation once.

                            I'm surprised. Why? Because THE DOCS. :)

                            Seriously, they pride themselves, rightfully so, on their documentation.
                            Of course section 3 is beyond me, though not you, in any system. (For
                            newcomers, section 3 is usually a section for programmers.)

                            > At this point, no. The biggest problem is that no ISPs around here
                            > provide native service, and no consumer-oriented hardware seem to
                            > support it, so at best I have to tunnel it through IPv4 (with all of
                            > what that means). Running IPv6 on a LAN with a handful of systems
                            > seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. (I can remember
                            > an address like 10.0.7.1 by heart, but for example
                            > fdaf:9ac3:374b:0:93f4:e301:ccad:49d2 is a quite different matter.)

                            It's easy--just remember, foolish days always fool 9 animals
                            cunningly--OK, I give up.
                            We have the same issue here and everywhere I believe) Either the
                            NYLUG or NYCBUG--BSD--had a thread on the mailing lists about it.
                            I think we might have one provider who offers it--one fellow on both
                            lists runs an ISP, and said, show me a demand, I'll do it, but I can't
                            afford to implement it without the demand.

                            It's like 64 bit arch--it's been around so long now, you'd think that
                            there would be more support for it.

                            (I know everyone can point out 64 bit support, but for example, flash
                            wasn't working with 64 bit for awhile, possibly changed now, madwifi
                            doesn't yet have a driver for my AR5007EG card that works with 64 bit,
                            etc. etc.)

                            Xander: So, we Bronzin' it tonight?
                            Willow: Wednesdays, kinda beat...
                            Xander: Well, we could grind our enemies into talcum powder with
                            a sledgehammer, but, gosh, we did that last night.
                          • Raquel
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                              On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 08:58:57 -0500
                              Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                              > > Something as important and informative as the list FAQ deserves
                              > > to have it's own automatic monthly reminder email to the list.
                              >
                              > Thank you. I used to do that, but again, it seemed that it was
                              > basically ignored. This was back in the days before every distro
                              > got their own (usually very good) forum and mailing list, back when
                              > the yahoogroups were about the only game in town.
                              >
                              > This is one reason I don't really keep it up to date
                              > anymore--laziness and less free time are factors of course.
                              > >
                              > > (Doesn't it?)
                              >
                              > It does, but (sigh) it didn't work. :) Again, the FAQ by now, is
                              > quite dated in parts.

                              Would it work to make the FAQ using wiki software, like MediaWiki.
                              If I got a "bee in my bonnet" about a particular FAQ not being
                              current then I could edit it.

                              --
                              Raquel
                              May the conscience and the common sense of the peoples be awakened,

                              --Albert Einstein
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                                Scott wrote:

                                > On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 03:15:28PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:
                                >>
                                >> On 1 Mar 2008 19:31 +0530, by kurianpol@...
                                > <mailto:kurianpol%40gmail.com> (Kurian Polachan):
                                >> > 1. I have a linux machine ....i need to know how to change the ip
                                >> > address and subnet mask through the command line...????
                                >>
                                >> man ifconfig
                                >
                                > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
                                > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
                                > shot.
                                >
                                > Of course, to the original poster, you could look at the list faq.
                                > The URL of the faq was given you when you joined the list
                                > and since this is a common question, I put it on there.
                                >
                                > As a matter of fact, I'll add how to configure DHCP to it now--though,
                                > judging from the fact that so many questions on this list indicate
                                > people don't bother to look at it makes me wonder if it's worth the
                                > effort.

                                The man page is fine. If you think there's something to contribute to it
                                then rather than change the FAQ, why not be a maintainer for the
                                ifconfig (nettools?) gnu project, and add something to the ifconfig
                                output that suggests using man ifconfig or info ifconfig (if the man
                                page exists in the manpath).

                                --
                                The T3 to your house is shot because of a translator who speaks Bocce.
                                Verizon is having Robert Mann to write some scripts.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                                  On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:26:32PM +0000, ed wrote:
                                  > Scott wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
                                  > > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
                                  > > The URL of the faq was given you when you joined the list
                                  > > and since this is a common question, I put it on there.
                                  > >

                                  > The man page is fine. If you think there's something to contribute to it
                                  > then rather than change the FAQ, why not be a maintainer for the
                                  > ifconfig (nettools?) gnu project, and add something to the ifconfig
                                  > output that suggests using man ifconfig or info ifconfig (if the man
                                  > page exists in the manpath).

                                  I'm sorry Ed, I respectfully disagree. Compare it to the OpenBSD page.
                                  Look at the Linux ifconfig man page and tell me, only from that page,
                                  how I create an alias on an interface.

                                  Why don't I offer a patch? Because, quite frankly, these days I'm far
                                  too busy. While I understand, and agree with, various rules for posting
                                  on wikis, offering patches, submitting bug and PR reports (depending
                                  upon O/S) especially with something the size of the GNU project,
                                  it becomes too complex. Instead, I put the info on my pages, which are
                                  readily available. It can be amusing at times. Having trouble with
                                  configuring scim, used for Japanese input, I went to look at their
                                  README, only to see a suggestion to look at my pages.

                                  I think that, especially for a newcomer, the ifconfig man page is not a
                                  good page.

                                  I believe you do some programming. The well-known free online (at least
                                  it used to be) Rute book, said somewhere that one should expect to read
                                  a man page three times before understanding it. How much pride would
                                  you take in a program that you wrote, and had to tell the end user, look
                                  you have to run it three times before it might work. If it doesn't work
                                  after that, well, it's your fault. Most Linux manpages are buggy
                                  software.

                                  Examples of non-buggy software:
                                  The fluxbox man page, written by someone who was enthusiastic about it
                                  and really wanted to help people understand and use it.
                                  Robert Watson's FreeBSD jail man page.
                                  The OpenBSD ifconfig man page.

                                  Frankly, much of the MS documentation. All of these things are what I
                                  call server O/S documentation. A busy system admin doesn't have time
                                  to start googling to figure out what they're talking about. Read the
                                  jail man page and you can implement it immediately.

                                  The ifconfig man page is a hobbyist's man page, written for someone who
                                  has time.

                                  I used to agree that we should send people to the man pages. Then, after
                                  using BSD and seeing what man pages should be, I came to my present way
                                  of thinking.

                                  Sigh, I guess I'm almost trolling here, but hopefully, I've been around
                                  long enough, and have reasonably good relationships with the people who
                                  will be annoyed by what I've written so that it will be Ok. Otherwise,
                                  one of the mods might ban me.

                                  Ford: What happened?
                                  Spike: We're stuck in a basement.
                                  Ford: Buffy?
                                  Spike: She's not stuck in a basement.
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    Scott wrote:

                                    > On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:26:32PM +0000, ed wrote:
                                    >> Scott wrote:
                                    >> >

                                    >> > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
                                    >> > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
                                    >> > The URL of the faq was given you when you joined the list
                                    >> > and since this is a common question, I put it on there.
                                    >> >

                                    >> The man page is fine. If you think there's something to contribute to it
                                    >> then rather than change the FAQ, why not be a maintainer for the
                                    >> ifconfig (nettools?) gnu project, and add something to the ifconfig
                                    >> output that suggests using man ifconfig or info ifconfig (if the man
                                    >> page exists in the manpath).
                                    >
                                    > I'm sorry Ed, I respectfully disagree. Compare it to the OpenBSD page.
                                    > Look at the Linux ifconfig man page and tell me, only from that page,
                                    > how I create an alias on an interface.

                                    I dunno about that. Just do a /alias and it will jump to a paragraph
                                    relating to aliases, under the heading interfaces.

                                    What this does remind me of is that awkward functionality of ifconfig
                                    under BSD, where to list interfaces one has to add -a, that was just
                                    plain painful.

                                    > Why don't I offer a patch? Because, quite frankly, these days I'm far
                                    > too busy. While I understand, and agree with, various rules for posting
                                    > on wikis, offering patches, submitting bug and PR reports (depending
                                    > upon O/S) especially with something the size of the GNU project,
                                    > it becomes too complex. Instead, I put the info on my pages, which are
                                    > readily available. It can be amusing at times. Having trouble with
                                    > configuring scim, used for Japanese input, I went to look at their
                                    > README, only to see a suggestion to look at my pages.
                                    >
                                    > I think that, especially for a newcomer, the ifconfig man page is not a
                                    > good page.
                                    >
                                    > I believe you do some programming. The well-known free online (at least
                                    > it used to be) Rute book, said somewhere that one should expect to read
                                    > a man page three times before understanding it. How much pride would
                                    > you take in a program that you wrote, and had to tell the end user, look
                                    > you have to run it three times before it might work. If it doesn't work
                                    > after that, well, it's your fault. Most Linux manpages are buggy
                                    > software.

                                    Yeah I'm part programmer. Now working in a UNIX ops team managing the
                                    servers for BBC and a few other sites.

                                    > Examples of non-buggy software:
                                    > The fluxbox man page, written by someone who was enthusiastic about it
                                    > and really wanted to help people understand and use it.
                                    > Robert Watson's FreeBSD jail man page.
                                    > The OpenBSD ifconfig man page.
                                    >
                                    > Frankly, much of the MS documentation. All of these things are what I
                                    > call server O/S documentation. A busy system admin doesn't have time
                                    > to start googling to figure out what they're talking about. Read the
                                    > jail man page and you can implement it immediately.
                                    >
                                    > The ifconfig man page is a hobbyist's man page, written for someone who
                                    > has time.
                                    >
                                    > I used to agree that we should send people to the man pages. Then, after
                                    > using BSD and seeing what man pages should be, I came to my present way
                                    > of thinking.
                                    >
                                    > Sigh, I guess I'm almost trolling here, but hopefully, I've been around
                                    > long enough, and have reasonably good relationships with the people who
                                    > will be annoyed by what I've written so that it will be Ok. Otherwise,
                                    > one of the mods might ban me.

                                    You're not trolling at all, we're off the original subject but something
                                    productive might come of this.

                                    I don't know what you're expecting various man pages to contain, but if
                                    you think something is ill-written just send a diff to bugs@... or
                                    something, the email address is at the bottom of the man pages usually.

                                    Generally I think that the vast majority of people don't read the man
                                    pages anyway so perhaps if people begin to read them then the world
                                    would be a wonderful place. The first point of call for problems is what
                                    we get on stderr.

                                    When fat fingering something to ifconfig often ifconfig --help is the
                                    direction that suggested, but I think this is what should be refined,
                                    not the man pages so much. Perhaps the most common thing ifconfig is
                                    used for is setting an IP address, there's no obvious means to do this here.

                                    Some might argue this is adequate, but I'd disagree

                                    ifconfig [-a] [-v] [-s] <interface> [[<AF>] <address>]

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                      On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 07:59:44PM +0000, ed wrote:
                                      > Scott wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:26:32PM +0000, ed wrote:
                                      > >> Scott wrote:
                                      > >> >

                                      > >> The man page is fine. If you think there's something to contribute to it
                                      > >> then rather than change the FAQ, why not be a maintainer for the
                                      > >> ifconfig (nettools?) gnu project, and add something to the ifconfig
                                      > >> output that suggests using man ifconfig or info ifconfig (if the man
                                      > >> page exists in the manpath).
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm sorry Ed, I respectfully disagree. Compare it to the OpenBSD page.
                                      > > Look at the Linux ifconfig man page and tell me, only from that page,
                                      > > how I create an alias on an interface.
                                      >
                                      > I dunno about that. Just do a /alias and it will jump to a paragraph
                                      > relating to aliases, under the heading interfaces.

                                      All I see (on a Fedora 8 workstation here) is that there are no explicit
                                      interface statistics for alias interfaces anymore. It doesn't give me
                                      the syntax.

                                      > What this does remind me of is that awkward functionality of ifconfig
                                      > under BSD, where to list interfaces one has to add -a, that was just
                                      > plain painful.

                                      Hrrm, not on my FreeBSD machine--I don't have an Open running these
                                      days.

                                      > > after that, well, it's your fault. Most Linux manpages are buggy
                                      > > software.
                                      >
                                      > Yeah I'm part programmer. Now working in a UNIX ops team managing the
                                      > servers for BBC and a few other sites.

                                      That sounds impressive--wow time flies, I think you were 16 once. Erm,
                                      Ok, I realize I could have phrased that more clearly, I mean I was 16
                                      once.

                                      > Generally I think that the vast majority of people don't read the man
                                      > pages anyway so perhaps if people begin to read them then the world
                                      > would be a wonderful place. The first point of call for problems is what
                                      > we get on stderr.

                                      I remember on one irc channel or another, late at night, we were
                                      discussing how to add porn to man pages so that they'd be read. Sigh,
                                      we should have put it on bash.org, there was something funny about gzip
                                      and gunzip.

                                      > When fat fingering something to ifconfig often ifconfig --help is the
                                      > direction that suggested, but I think this is what should be refined,
                                      > not the man pages so much. Perhaps the most common thing ifconfig is
                                      > used for is setting an IP address, there's no obvious means to do this here.

                                      Agreed.

                                      > Some might argue this is adequate, but I'd disagree
                                      >
                                      > ifconfig [-a] [-v] [-s] <interface> [[<AF>] <address>]

                                      It's difficult for us to truly understand how it might seem to a
                                      newcomer. I think I could make sense of that-- though I wouldn't be
                                      able to say what each optiondid, but the newcomer is completely lost--I
                                      do remember that I was.

                                      (Have to run back to work, will try to write more later.)

                                      Giles: I need you to take Spike for a few days.
                                      Xander: What?
                                      Spike: What?
                                      Anya: What?
                                      Spike: I'm not stayin' with him.
                                      Giles: I have a friend who's coming to town, and I'd like us to
                                      be alone.
                                      Anya: Oh, you mean an orgasm friend?
                                      Giles: Yes, that's exactly the most appalling thing you could
                                      have said.
                                    • Mario Chamorro
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                                        I'd like to take a stab at this - in addition to checking the various
                                        man pages that people have mentioned, you can learn to setup
                                        networking by reading , as I did, the network startup script:

                                        /etc/rc.d/init.d/network

                                        In it you'll find that networking depends on 5 files, at least on
                                        RedHat flavored distros. The files are:

                                        /etc/hosts
                                        /etc/resolv.conf
                                        /etc/nssswitch
                                        /etc/sysconfig/network
                                        /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ( or whatever interface ).

                                        The hostname needs to be set in the first and fourth files, and the IP
                                        address, gateway, and netmask need to be setup in the last one.
                                        There's some other parameters which should be easy to figure out. Once
                                        you make backups of those files, and modify them, you can run:

                                        /sbin/service network restart

                                        and your new IP will be setup and ready to go. IP aliases can be setup
                                        using new files named 'ifcfg-eth0:0' 'ifcfg-eth0:1' etc.

                                        I hope that resolves your issue. -- Mario

                                        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        > >
                                        > > ifconfig [-a] [-v] [-s] <interface> [[<AF>] <address>]
                                        > >

                                        > It's difficult for us to truly understand how it might seem to a
                                        > newcomer. I think I could make sense of that-- though I wouldn't be
                                        > able to say what each optiondid, but the newcomer is completely lost--I
                                        > do remember that I was.
                                        >
                                        > (Have to run back to work, will try to write more later.)
                                        >

                                        > --
                                        > Scott Robbins
                                        > PGP keyID EB3467D6
                                        >
                                        > Giles: I need you to take Spike for a few days.
                                        > Xander: What?
                                        > Spike: What?
                                        > Anya: What?
                                        > Spike: I'm not stayin' with him.
                                        > Giles: I have a friend who's coming to town, and I'd like us to
                                        > be alone.
                                        > Anya: Oh, you mean an orgasm friend?
                                        > Giles: Yes, that's exactly the most appalling thing you could

                                      • Kurian Polachan
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                                          sure i was able to connect to the net

                                          just by using the commands

                                          ifconfig eth0 down
                                          ifconfig eth0 <ip> netmask <subnetmask> up
                                          default route rw <gateway>

                                          and by adding the domain name and nameserver in the /etc/resolv.conf
                                          file......

                                          thanks to all who replied to my mail.

                                          regards,

                                          On 04/03/2008, Mario Chamorro <mario@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                          > > newcomer. I think I could make sense of that-- though I wouldn't be
                                          > > able to say what each optiondid, but the newcomer is completely lost--I
                                          > > do remember that I was.
                                          > >
                                          > > (Have to run back to work, will try to write more later.)
                                          > >

                                          > > --
                                          > > Scott Robbins
                                          > > PGP keyID EB3467D6
                                          > > ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
                                          > > gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
                                          > >
                                          > > Giles: I need you to take Spike for a few days.
                                          > > Xander: What?
                                          > > Spike: What?
                                          > > Anya: What?
                                          > > Spike: I'm not stayin' with him.
                                          > > Giles: I have a friend who's coming to town, and I'd like us to
                                          > > be alone.
                                          > > Anya: Oh, you mean an orgasm friend?
                                          > > Giles: Yes, that's exactly the most appalling thing you could

                                        • thad
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 15, 2008
                                            > However, on OpenBSD, they have this amazing section. It's called.....
                                            >
                                            > EXAMPLES
                                            >
                                            > And I don't think that anyone's ever accused Theo of dumbing it down for
                                            > the masses. :)

                                            Look at man pages of AIX, Tru64 and Solaris you can never go wrong. I
                                            have a veteran UNIX colleague who said the learning curve of Linux is
                                            much harder than UNIX and he hated Linux man pages!

                                            I guess he is right so Linux users are more geek :)

                                            No flame, this is a Linux mailing list :D

                                            --
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                            sometimes truth is stranger than fiction
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 15, 2008
                                              thad wrote:

                                              > > However, on OpenBSD, they have this amazing section. It's called.....
                                              > >
                                              > > EXAMPLES
                                              > >
                                              > > And I don't think that anyone's ever accused Theo of dumbing it down for
                                              > > the masses. :)
                                              >
                                              > Look at man pages of AIX, Tru64 and Solaris you can never go wrong. I
                                              > have a veteran UNIX colleague who said the learning curve of Linux is
                                              > much harder than UNIX and he hated Linux man pages!
                                              >
                                              > I guess he is right so Linux users are more geek :)
                                              >
                                              > No flame, this is a Linux mailing list :D

                                              This isn't true!

                                              Linux is easier, take a look at the process involved in installing from
                                              source.

                                              Solaris:

                                              gunzip something_thats_not_a_decade_old.tar.gz - | tar xvf -

                                              To me it's just confusing why tar doesn't include a gzip stage on
                                              slowaris, there's gotta be more linux installs worldwide now than
                                              traditional UNIX, so it's about time traditional UNIX came out of the
                                              dark ages and update their user space tools.

                                              Yeah ZFS is great, but I'd bet anyone who's into storage is into backup,
                                              and backup usually involves a bit of tar.

                                              AIX isn't much better, and their docs are ambiguous to hell, look at the
                                              auditbin tools, it's not clear, from sentence structure if audit start
                                              will begin a configuration process... At least to me anyway.

                                              --
                                              The 5 1/4 Floppy Drive to Alderan is wigging because of Bernard Shifman
                                              threatening to sue.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 15, 2008
                                                On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 05:30:04PM -0500, thad wrote:
                                                > > However, on OpenBSD, they have this amazing section. It's called.....
                                                > >
                                                > > EXAMPLES
                                                > >
                                                > > And I don't think that anyone's ever accused Theo of dumbing it down for
                                                > > the masses. :)
                                                >
                                                > Look at man pages of AIX, Tru64 and Solaris you can never go wrong. I
                                                > have a veteran UNIX colleague who said the learning curve of Linux is
                                                > much harder than UNIX and he hated Linux man pages!

                                                > I guess he is right so Linux users are more geek :)

                                                > No flame, this is a Linux mailing list :D

                                                I always troll about the Linux docs. Ever since my job change subjected
                                                me to them again. :)

                                                However, at least these days, most distros have their own wikis, which
                                                usually have great docs. Arch and CentOS spring to mind.

                                                Joyce: You belong in a good old fashioned college with keg
                                                parties and boys. Not here with Hellmouths and vampires.
                                                Buffy: Not really seeing the distinction.
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 15, 2008
                                                  On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:50:29PM +0000, ed wrote:
                                                  > thad wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > > However, on OpenBSD, they have this amazing section. It's called.....
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > EXAMPLES
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > And I don't think that anyone's ever accused Theo of dumbing it down for
                                                  > > > the masses. :)
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Look at man pages of AIX, Tru64 and Solaris you can never go wrong. I
                                                  > > have a veteran UNIX colleague who said the learning curve of Linux is
                                                  > > much harder than UNIX and he hated Linux man pages!
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I guess he is right so Linux users are more geek :)
                                                  > >
                                                  > > No flame, this is a Linux mailing list :D
                                                  >
                                                  > This isn't true!

                                                  We're just talking about man pages here. :)

                                                  > AIX isn't much better, and their docs are ambiguous to hell, look at the
                                                  > auditbin tools, it's not clear, from sentence structure if audit start
                                                  > will begin a configuration process... At least to me anyway.

                                                  Really? I found the AIX docs pretty good. Of course, it's not really
                                                  fair to compare because by then, I had a lot more experience. Even the
                                                  Linux man pages are usually understandable, it's just that they tend to
                                                  have large omissions.

                                                  Also, I didn't do very much on AIX, it was mostly a matter of seeing
                                                  what their ps flags did, etc.

                                                  Buffy: The world is what it is---we fight, we die. Wishing
                                                  doesn't change that.
                                                  Giles: I have to believe in a better world.
                                                  Buffy: Go ahead. I have to live in this one.