Boot Failure ...

  • mshahzeb7
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
      "INIT: Cannot execute "/etc/rc/d/rc. sysinit"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
      INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
      INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
      INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
      INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
      INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
      INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
      INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
      INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
      INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

      I have in this problem for the last 5 days.
      If u have any solid ideas kindly share with me..
      especially how to use the rescue mode cd
      Thanks in advance

      Regards,
      Shah Zeb
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
        On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:33:48AM +0000, mshahzeb7 wrote:

        > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
        > INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
        > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
        > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
        > INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
        > INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
        > INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
        > INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
        > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

        Many times, the cause of this is that, for some reason, it can't find
        the default window manager. That is, say in Fedora, most scripts send
        it to gdm. If you installed without gdm, and boot into runlevel 5 (the
        graphic boot) you get this message. In Fedora's case, usually fixed by
        either installing gdm or booting into runlevel 3, and then putting
        something in your .xinitrc file, then typing, once you've logged in,
        startx.

        Buffy: You sound like Mr. Initiative! 'Demons bad,
        people good.'
        Riley: Something wrong with that theorem?
      • jumadifran@jufran.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
          some this error happen cause some code in your inittab can't executed
          cause some file library not installed, so this error will displayed some
          kernel panic error
          so, u can trying to solve that problem with editing your inittab file n try
          to change the runlevel tobe runlevel 3
          n if that error still displaying it's mean that the library not completed,
          please try to resolve it with linux rescue n
          mount reinstall your lilo or grub loader, n hopely this help u.

          -[p------------------------------------------------------------ nice
          question..................................................

          On Feb 20, 2008 7:30 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:33:48AM +0000, mshahzeb7 wrote:
          >
          > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
          > > INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
          > > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
          > > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
          > > INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
          > > INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
          > > INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
          > > INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
          > > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
          >
          > Many times, the cause of this is that, for some reason, it can't find
          > the default window manager. That is, say in Fedora, most scripts send
          > it to gdm. If you installed without gdm, and boot into runlevel 5 (the
          > graphic boot) you get this message. In Fedora's case, usually fixed by
          > either installing gdm or booting into runlevel 3, and then putting
          > something in your .xinitrc file, then typing, once you've logged in,
          > startx.
          >
          > --
          > Scott Robbins
          > PGP keyID EB3467D6
          >
          > Buffy: You sound like Mr. Initiative! 'Demons bad,
          > people good.'
          > Riley: Something wrong with that theorem?

          --
          ||=========== o ^ o ===========||
          Jumadi Francisco Simangunsong

        • Percy
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
            On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 5:33 PM, mshahzeb7 <mshahzeb7@...> wrote:
            > "INIT: Cannot execute "/etc/rc/d/rc. sysinit"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
            > INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
            > INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
            > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
            > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
            > INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
            > INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
            > INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
            > INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
            > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
            >

            > I have in this problem for the last 5 days.
            > If u have any solid ideas kindly share with me..
            > especially how to use the rescue mode cd
            > Thanks in advance

            There are a lot of reasons why you're getting these kind of error.
            Probably, a bad initrd, or maybe some of the filesystems (maybe /etc
            is on a separate partition) were not mounted properly, or perhaps, it
            was an installation problem.

            What distro are you using?
          • mshahzeb7
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Percy <percy.deleon@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 5:33 PM, mshahzeb7 <mshahzeb7@...> wrote:
              > > "INIT: Cannot execute "/etc/rc/d/rc. sysinit"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
              > > INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
              > > INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
              > > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
              > > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
              > > INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
              > > INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
              > > INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
              > > INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
              > > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
              > >

              > > I have in this problem for the last 5 days.
              > > If u have any solid ideas kindly share with me..
              > > especially how to use the rescue mode cd
              > > Thanks in advance
              >
              > There are a lot of reasons why you're getting these kind of error.
              > Probably, a bad initrd, or maybe some of the filesystems
              (maybe /etc
              > is on a separate partition) were not mounted properly, or perhaps,
              it
              > was an installation problem.
              >
              > What distro are you using?

              i am using Red Hat