email threading question

  • Jim Reimer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
      ok - RFC 2822 says the "References:" header field is used for
      threading. Apparently, some email incarnations don't supply
      that field though (gmail for instance). So, "references"
      is missing, should an RFC-compliant email program show a
      new thread started, keep threading based on "in-reply-to"
      or subject or do something else?

      --
      -jdr-
    • alannaroe@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
        Unofficially, threading can also be done by subject line, which is
        what gmail does. Gmail's faq says that if you change the subject line
        you start a new "conversation".

        On 1/4/08, Jim Reimer <jdr@...> wrote:
        > ok - RFC 2822 says the "References:" header field is used for
        > threading. Apparently, some email incarnations don't supply
        > that field though (gmail for instance). So, "references"
        > is missing, should an RFC-compliant email program show a
        > new thread started, keep threading based on "in-reply-to"
        > or subject or do something else?
        >
        > --
        > -jdr-

      • Jim Reimer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          alannaroe@... wrote:

          > Unofficially, threading can also be done by subject line, which is
          > what gmail does. Gmail's faq says that if you change the subject line
          > you start a new "conversation".

          So then gmail is following along in Microsoft's footsteps and not
          following the rules. But what should an RFC-complaint MUA do when
          it encounters an email with "in-reply-to" but no "references"
          header fields?

          --
          -jdr-
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
            On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:48:34PM -0700, alannaroe@... wrote:
            > Unofficially, threading can also be done by subject line, which is
            > what gmail does. Gmail's faq says that if you change the subject line
            > you start a new "conversation".
            >
            > On 1/4/08, Jim Reimer <jdr@...> wrote:
            > > ok - RFC 2822 says the "References:" header field is used for
            > > threading. Apparently, some email incarnations don't supply
            > > that field though (gmail for instance). So, "references"
            > > is missing, should an RFC-compliant email program show a
            > > new thread started, keep threading based on "in-reply-to"
            > > or subject or do something else?

            It's considered bad practice on Unix or Unix like system related mailing
            lists. I believe there is a way to get gmail to show headers. (I get
            and send gmail with mutt, so I'm not completely sure about that.)

            Just changing the subject line is considered thread-hijacking and almost
            all of us do it before someone points out that the most knowledgeable
            people on a list are probably using mutt or another mail client that
            threads by header--so, changing a subject line is not considered proper.

            This is actually mentioned on the list FAQ.
            http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#netiquette

            (there's a link to a small image in the answer, showing where someone
            simply changed the subject line and how it looks in mutt. )

            Spike: Do I have anyone on watch here? It's called security,
            people. Are you all asleep? Or did we finally find a restaurant
            that delivers?
            Ford: I know who you are.
            Spike: Yeah, I know who I am too, so what?
          • alannaroe@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
              Just for note, pine can be set by user to thread either by subject or
              by the rfc-appropriate header. Not sure, but i think other criteria as
              well. Haven't used pine in a little while so not sure.
            • Godwin Stewart