Re: [linux] Re: new install - problem with dial-up

  • Michael Klinosky
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2007
      Mario Chamorro wrote:
      > ppp0 : /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

      That file doesn't exist (but there are other files in that dir).

      > Optional SECTION arguments refer to sections in configuration file
      > (usually)
      > /etc/wvdial.conf, $HOME/.wvdialrc or the file specified by --config.
      > Specified sections are all read, with later ones overriding previous ones.
      > Any options not in the listed sections are taken from [Dialer Defaults].

      The first time I tried wvdial, it complained that there was no
      [Dialer Defaults] section in wvdial.conf. I fixed that (guided by info I
      got elsewhere).

      It still didn't connect; it complained that there wss "No /dev/modem".
      So I removed the [modem0] entry (surely configged when I set up the
      Network tool), moving its lines to the default section. This left
      defaults and [enternet] (my ISP - also from the Network tool).

      OK, it dials, and *apparently* connects (the modem's online LED is lit)
      - but I couldn't do anything (well, couldn't get a webserver to respond
      - didn't try email or ftp). I did try pinging another of my boxes - that
      works.

      I went back into the Network configger, and noticed that the interface
      was inactive. I tried activating it, and got
      "/sbin/ifup: configuration for enternet not found".

      I just thought of a possible problem: Does the Live CD install dial-up
      stuff?