Dual Debian & Ubuntu EMC

  • peppermark1
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
      Dear Folks,

      Would like to ask group how to install both Debian & Ubuntu EMC to
      HD?? I can install Debian with CD but not sure how to prepare the HD
      partition so I will be able to install Ubuntu on the same HD and have
      a window to choose which one.

      The Debian EMC installs nicely as does the Ubuntu EMC. However I
      missing something as one will eliminate the other when installed
      individually, and vise versa. What is left is the EMC version that you
      last installed.

      Probably has something, I suspect, with preparing the HD partitions
      when asked by the program? Can anybody help? Would like to have both
      EMC's on the HD to compliment each other and to be able to choose which??

      Thank you for your assistance.

      Pete - Newby Senior C
    • geert Geurts
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi Pete,
        If you install Debian and ubuntu on different partitions then it's just a
        question of reconfiguring grub. If you installed two times on the same
        partition then you have to reinsall both...

        greetings,
        Geert

        2007/12/3, peppermark1 <pmark1@...>:

        > Dear Folks,
        >
        > Would like to ask group how to install both Debian & Ubuntu EMC to
        > HD?? I can install Debian with CD but not sure how to prepare the HD
        > partition so I will be able to install Ubuntu on the same HD and have
        > a window to choose which one.
        >
        > The Debian EMC installs nicely as does the Ubuntu EMC. However I
        > missing something as one will eliminate the other when installed
        > individually, and vise versa. What is left is the EMC version that you
        > last installed.
        >
        > Probably has something, I suspect, with preparing the HD partitions
        > when asked by the program? Can anybody help? Would like to have both
        > EMC's on the HD to compliment each other and to be able to choose which??
        >
        > Thank you for your assistance.
        >
        > Pete - Newby Senior C

      • peppermark1
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
          "geert Geurts" <begeert@...> wrote:

          > Hi Pete,
          > If you install Debian and ubuntu on different partitions then it's
          just a question of reconfiguring grub. If you installed two times on
          the same partition then you have to reinsall both...

          Geert - That sounds exactly what I've been doing. I tried to follow
          the instructions on the CD about partitioning but don't have a clue
          what they're talking about. Something about automatic & manual
          partitioning. So far I've made the wrong assumptions.

          Reconfiguring Grub - How is that done, If I may?? Thank you very much!

          Pete

          > > Dear Folks,
          > >
          > > Would like to ask group how to install both Debian & Ubuntu EMC to
          > > HD?? I can install Debian with CD but not sure how to prepare the HD
          > > partition so I will be able to install Ubuntu on the same HD and have
          > > a window to choose which one.
          > >
          > > The Debian EMC installs nicely as does the Ubuntu EMC. However I
          > > missing something as one will eliminate the other when installed
          > > individually, and vise versa. What is left is the EMC version that you
          > > last installed.
          > >
          > > Probably has something, I suspect, with preparing the HD partitions
          > > when asked by the program? Can anybody help? Would like to have both
          > > EMC's on the HD to compliment each other and to be able to choose
          which??

          > > Thank you for your assistance.
          > >
          > > Pete - Newby Senior C

        • Michael Kjorling