Re: [linux] tld-s

      On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:38:04 -0000, "Szasz Endre" <szasz_endre@...>
      wrote:

      > www.yahoo.com or msn.com or apache.org is not a problem, instead
      > msn.co.uk is - where .co.uk is the TLD (problem is that the last two
      > words are the TLD, not the last one)

      The TLD for msn.co.uk is .uk, not .co.uk

      .co.uk is a 2nd level domain run by NOMINET for the purposes of bona fide
      companies registering their domains.

      - --
      G. Stewart - gstewart@...

      Your fault: core dumped
    • Szasz Endre
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2007
        really ? so is it always like this ?
        so what you're saying is that when british people buy a domain they
        pay 10quit for a subdomain ? ;))

        ok, the bottom line is that for example i want the domain of a
        subdomain

        like if i have 11-11-11-11-dhcp.racsa.co.cr, in that case i need the
        racsa.co.cr part but if i have 22-22-22-22-ppp.charter.net i need the
        charter.net part

      • Michael Kjorling

          On 16 Aug 2007 17:14 -0000, by szasz_endre@... (Szasz Endre):
          > ok, the bottom line is that for example i want the domain of a
          > subdomain
          >
          > like if i have 11-11-11-11-dhcp.racsa.co.cr, in that case i need the
          > racsa.co.cr part but if i have 22-22-22-22-ppp.charter.net i need the
          > charter.net part

          One reasonably certain way to do it would be to query for a DNS NS
          record at the name you have. Most likely you will get back a response
          for a higher level name, which will indicate a delegation boundary -
          which should come reasonably close a lot of the time.

          Another possibility would be to do a set of whois queries, starting at
          the two rightmost labels (a label is the part of a fully qualified
          host name between two consecutive periods), adding more if that does
          not give you a match. You could also add some label length checks to
          make it more likely that your first attempt is a success. This will be
          quite certain but many registries frown on automated whois queries, so
          you would need to keep the query rate down enough to not trip any
          automated limits.

          - --
          Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
          * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
          * .... ENCRYPTED email preferred .. OpenPGP key ID: 0xBDE9ADA6 .... *
          * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML mail, proprietary attachments *

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2007
            On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:14:44 -0000
            "Szasz Endre" <szasz_endre@...> wrote:

            > really ? so is it always like this ?
            > so what you're saying is that when british people buy a domain they
            > pay 10quit for a subdomain ? ;))

            I don't know who you are paying 10quid to, but the company where I work
            sells .uk's at a little more than cost, http://domains.ukplc.net, if
            you wish to purchase one there.

            It's not a 'subdomain' really, if anything, having a gTLD (.com or .net)
            would give you the sub. Try to see it more as just a host name that's
            part of a country code hierarchy.

            > ok, the bottom line is that for example i want the domain of a
            > subdomain
            >
            > like if i have 11-11-11-11-dhcp.racsa.co.cr, in that case i need the
            > racsa.co.cr part but if i have 22-22-22-22-ppp.charter.net i need the
            > charter.net part

            I'd just chuck a list of known gTLD and ccTLD into an array, I don't
            think C has a 'endswith' function, so I'd reverse both the array and
            the input, then if strpos == 0, we know we have a match.

            Once you know this you are free to reverse the original input, and
            advance the pointer to the string length minus the array size.

            Of course, using something with 'endswith' makes this much easier for
            you.

            --
            The 2400 Baud Modem to the Xbox is unreliable because of some bitchy
            farm boy on tatooine. GTE is hiring Bob Grant to scuttle the company.