services

  • Michael Klinosky
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      Hello.
      On my Fedora 7 (w/ gnome), I used /sbin/service --status-all, and
      noticed "Firewall is not configured." It is enabled (in Admin > Firewall
      & SELinux).

      What's with it not being configured?

      Does this have anything to do with iptables?

      Also, I don't care to have every package updated to the latest and
      greatest. Can I disable yum-updatesd in the run-level? Or, are there
      other ramifications of not running that?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2007
        On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:29:59 -0400
        Michael Klinosky <mpk2@...> wrote:

        > On my Fedora 7 (w/ gnome), I used /sbin/service --status-all, and
        > noticed "Firewall is not configured." It is enabled (in Admin >
        > Firewall & SELinux).
        >
        > What's with it not being configured?
        >
        > Does this have anything to do with iptables?
        >
        > Also, I don't care to have every package updated to the latest and
        > greatest. Can I disable yum-updatesd in the run-level? Or, are there
        > other ramifications of not running that?

        Urrgh! Is that what Fedora does? Updates every boot! Yuck!

        The firewall config is probably stored somewhere
        like /etc/init.d/firewall or /etc/init.d/iptables...

        To any event, it should be a shell script that calls 'iptables' with
        various parameters to setup your firewall ruling. You might want to
        hook it into your network configuration so it is loaded before you
        ethernet device comes up.

        --
        The dirt trail to the gas station is patchy because of a great
        disturbance in the force. Sun Microsystems is practising their rocket