Re: [linux] File name with -- at beginning

  • Robert C Wittig
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
      ed wrote:

      > has anyone else noticed a responder for linux-tech@...?
      >
      > if so, what is the appropriate behaviour for dealing with this? i'm
      > reasonably certain that i will be getting a response to this post from
      > that subscribe notice.

      I got one from him/her/it last week, but none since.

      When I get really annoying list-mail, and it persists, I just
      /dev/null the email address.

      --
      -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
      http://robertwittig.net/
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 19, 2007
        Unfortunately, it is a corporate controled system and we do not have access to helpful things like MAN pages or a GUI interface like Konqurer. I tried using the ' or \ before the -- but that didn't work either.

        The -- worked just fine.

        Thanks

      • Michael Kjorling

          On 19 Jun 2007 05:50 -0700, by harold_heckuba@... (Harold Heckuba):
          > Unfortunately, it is a corporate controled system and we do not have
          > access to helpful things like MAN pages or a GUI interface like
          > Konqurer. I tried using the ' or \ before the -- but that didn't
          > work either.

          That would be expected behavior. Quoting only prevents shell expansion.

          Here's a resource you may find of interest: http://www.linuxmanpages.com/

          It doesn't seem to be entirely up to date but should be quite useful
          nonetheless. Or GIYF. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+man+pages

          - --
          Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
          * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
          * .... ENCRYPTED email preferred .. OpenPGP key ID: 0xBDE9ADA6 .... *
          * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *