Re: [linux] File name with -- at beginning

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
      On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:44:07 -0400
      "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:

      > On 6/18/07, ed <ed@...> wrote:

      > > --[== stream name ==]--
      > >
      > > with some other annoying characters in there also, made even
      > > changing to that directory a royal pain.
      >

      > my 2 cents would have to go to:
      >
      > rm ./--no-recursive

      what, and miss out on a chance to invoke perl?

      --
      The Optical Cable to the stereo is bouncing like a rubber biscut
      because of the Dali-Lama. RedHat is smoking crack.

        On 18 Jun 2007 21:02 +0100, by ed@... (ed):
        >> rm ./--no-recursive
        >
        > what, and miss out on a chance to invoke perl?

        $ perl -e 'system("rm ./--no-recursive") or die $!;'

        - --
        Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
        * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
        * .... ENCRYPTED email preferred .. OpenPGP key ID: 0xBDE9ADA6 .... *
        * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
          On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:24:37 +0000
          Michael Kjorling <michael@...> wrote:

          > On 18 Jun 2007 21:02 +0100, by ed@... (ed):
          > >> rm ./--no-recursive
          > >
          > > what, and miss out on a chance to invoke perl?
          >
          > $ perl -e 'system("rm ./--no-recursive") or die $!;'

          :)

          has anyone else noticed a responder for linux-tech@...?

          if so, what is the appropriate behaviour for dealing with this? i'm
          reasonably certain that i will be getting a response to this post from
          that subscribe notice.

          --
          The CAT5 to the fax machine is bullshitting like Bob Grant because of
          nurf herders. ELI is playing way too much Diablo II.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
            Michael Kjorling wrote:

            > On 18 Jun 2007 21:02 +0100, by ed@... (ed):
            >>> rm ./--no-recursive
            >> what, and miss out on a chance to invoke perl?
            >
            > $ perl -e 'system("rm ./--no-recursive") or die $!;'

            ...or...(heh)

            You could fire up Konqueror (or whatever), navigate to the right
            directory with your mouse, right-click on the file, and select
            'Delete'.<g>

            --
            -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
            http://robertwittig.net/
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
              ed wrote:

              > has anyone else noticed a responder for linux-tech@...?
              >
              > if so, what is the appropriate behaviour for dealing with this? i'm
              > reasonably certain that i will be getting a response to this post from
              > that subscribe notice.

              I got one from him/her/it last week, but none since.

              When I get really annoying list-mail, and it persists, I just
              /dev/null the email address.

              --
              -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
              http://robertwittig.net/
              http://robertwittig.org/
              .
            • Harold Heckuba
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 19, 2007
                Unfortunately, it is a corporate controled system and we do not have access to helpful things like MAN pages or a GUI interface like Konqurer. I tried using the ' or \ before the -- but that didn't work either.

                The -- worked just fine.

                Thanks

              • Michael Kjorling

                  On 19 Jun 2007 05:50 -0700, by harold_heckuba@... (Harold Heckuba):
                  > Unfortunately, it is a corporate controled system and we do not have
                  > access to helpful things like MAN pages or a GUI interface like
                  > Konqurer. I tried using the ' or \ before the -- but that didn't
                  > work either.

                  That would be expected behavior. Quoting only prevents shell expansion.

                  Here's a resource you may find of interest: http://www.linuxmanpages.com/

                  It doesn't seem to be entirely up to date but should be quite useful
                  nonetheless. Or GIYF. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+man+pages

                  - --