Re: [linux] File name with -- at beginning

  • Ajay Gautam
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
      On 6/18/07, ed <ed@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:15:17 -0500
      > Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Harold Heckuba wrote:
      > > > I was trying to use the TAR --no-recursive command but for some
      > > > reason it created a file with the name --no-recursive. How do I
      > > > delete this file? Every time I try the RM or MV command it tells
      > > > me the flag is not valid.
      > >
      > > As long as you do not have any other similarly named files in the
      > > directory...
      > >
      > > rm *no_recursive
      > >
      > > ...should get rid of it.
      >
      > that works, but i have a tendency to fear masks like that while
      > working on live systems. i opt for find.
      >
      > find . -iname '--no-recursive' -exec rm {} ';'
      >
      > or perlhaps
      >
      > perl -e 'unlink( "--no-recursive" );'
      >
      > i had an incident like this recently on my home system also where
      > streamripper named a directory
      >
      > --[== stream name ==]--
      >
      > with some other annoying characters in there also, made even changing
      > to that directory a royal pain.

      my 2 cents would have to go to:

      rm ./--no-recursive
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
        On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:44:07 -0400
        "Ajay Gautam" <ajay610@...> wrote:

        > On 6/18/07, ed <ed@...> wrote:

        > > --[== stream name ==]--
        > >
        > > with some other annoying characters in there also, made even
        > > changing to that directory a royal pain.
        >

        > my 2 cents would have to go to:
        >
        > rm ./--no-recursive

        what, and miss out on a chance to invoke perl?

        --
        The Optical Cable to the stereo is bouncing like a rubber biscut
        because of the Dali-Lama. RedHat is smoking crack.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
            On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:24:37 +0000
            Michael Kjorling <michael@...> wrote:

            > On 18 Jun 2007 21:02 +0100, by ed@... (ed):
            > >> rm ./--no-recursive
            > >
            > > what, and miss out on a chance to invoke perl?
            >
            > $ perl -e 'system("rm ./--no-recursive") or die $!;'

            :)

            has anyone else noticed a responder for linux-tech@...?

            if so, what is the appropriate behaviour for dealing with this? i'm
            reasonably certain that i will be getting a response to this post from
            that subscribe notice.

            --
            The CAT5 to the fax machine is bullshitting like Bob Grant because of
            nurf herders. ELI is playing way too much Diablo II.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
              Michael Kjorling wrote:

              > On 18 Jun 2007 21:02 +0100, by ed@... (ed):
              >>> rm ./--no-recursive
              >> what, and miss out on a chance to invoke perl?
              >
              > $ perl -e 'system("rm ./--no-recursive") or die $!;'

              ...or...(heh)

              You could fire up Konqueror (or whatever), navigate to the right
              directory with your mouse, right-click on the file, and select
              'Delete'.<g>

              --
              -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
              http://robertwittig.net/
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
                ed wrote:

                > has anyone else noticed a responder for linux-tech@...?
                >
                > if so, what is the appropriate behaviour for dealing with this? i'm
                > reasonably certain that i will be getting a response to this post from
                > that subscribe notice.

                I got one from him/her/it last week, but none since.

                When I get really annoying list-mail, and it persists, I just
                /dev/null the email address.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 19, 2007
                  Unfortunately, it is a corporate controled system and we do not have access to helpful things like MAN pages or a GUI interface like Konqurer. I tried using the ' or \ before the -- but that didn't work either.

                  The -- worked just fine.

                  Thanks

                • Michael Kjorling