Re: [linux] trying to SSH

  • Michael Klinosky
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2007
      Scott wrote:
      > Yes, but many of them install a firewall by default. Sometimes, there's
      > information about it during installation, sometimes not. The usual way
      > to check is with
      >
      > iptables -L

      [root@D500 ~]# iptables -L
      Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
      target prot opt source destination
      RH-Firewall-1-INPUT all -- anywhere anywhere

      Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
      target prot opt source destination
      RH-Firewall-1-INPUT all -- anywhere anywhere

      Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
      target prot opt source destination

      Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
      target prot opt source destination
      ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
      ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
      ACCEPT esp -- anywhere anywhere
      ACCEPT ah -- anywhere anywhere
      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 224.0.0.251 udp dpt:mdns
      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:ipp
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ipp
      ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state
      RELATED,ESTABLISHED
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
      tcp dpt:ssh
      REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with
      icmp-host-prohibited

      > Yes, on the machine running sshd, as a user with permission to ssh
      > (usually root does not have permission) just type

      I tried it with my IP addy - now I'll try it with localhost.

      > ssh localhost

      Connection refused

      > ssh -p 222 localhost

      !!!!!!! Got something! :)

      It's asking for key verification (as I was informed it would).

      So, this should be indicative - yes? Is it telling me that the computer
      is properly configed, and the modem/router is the culprit?

      I have Fedora Core 6, with gnome.

      Horror Vacui - regarding /etc/hosts.deny & hosts.allow --
      There are no lines in either file.