Mandriva 2007

  • suziezuzie
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
      I know less than nothing about Linux operating systems. I downloaded
      the Mandriva 2007 version onto a CD with the ISO file ready to go. Now
      what. I notice that there are some files on this downloaded CD, boot,
      etc. I've been using Windows XP Pro but have one computer with an empty
      HD. How do I get this CD to boot up into somekind of instruction for
      and OS on the screen? I open to anyone with suggestions who can take me
      through. Thanks Mark
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
        On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 09:41:02PM +0000, suziezuzie wrote:

        > I know less than nothing about Linux operating systems.

        We'll fix that. :)

        I downloaded
        > the Mandriva 2007 version onto a CD with the ISO file ready to go. Now
        > what. I notice that there are some files on this downloaded CD, boot,
        > etc. I've been using Windows XP Pro but have one computer with an empty
        > HD. How do I get this CD to boot up into somekind of instruction for
        > and OS on the screen? I open to anyone with suggestions who can take me
        > through. Thanks Mark

        How did you download it to a CD. Basically, you burn the ISO to a CD,
        using some kind of software--if you just used the WindowsXP copy to CD,
        or send to CD utility, it won't work. However, as you see various files
        on the CD, it sounds as if you burned it correctly.

        To doublecheck that, though, go to the list faq at
        http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu and check the questions about CD
        burning, which also have some links.

        If you definitely burned it correctly, then perhaps there was something
        wrong with the file you downloaded. In general, when you boot these
        CDs, they should put you into some kind of screen with instructions. :)

        (Either that, or they are live CDs. This means that they boot into a
        system that runs from CD, giving you a taste of what the O/S would look
        like.)

        What do you get when you boot from the CD? Anything?

        Angel: Buffy, careful with this gift. Lots of things that seem
        strong and good and powerful, they can be painful.
        Buffy: Like, say, immortality?
        Angel: Exactly. I'm dying to get rid of that.
        Buffy: Funny.
        Angel: I'm a funny guy.
      • horrorvacui@gmx.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
          On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:41:02 -0000
          "suziezuzie" <msilver1951@...> wrote:

          > I know less than nothing about Linux operating systems. I downloaded
          > the Mandriva 2007 version onto a CD with the ISO file ready to go. Now
          > what. I notice that there are some files on this downloaded CD, boot,
          > etc.

          Say, there are really _files_ on the CD? Stunning. ;)

          > I've been using Windows XP Pro but have one computer with an empty
          > HD. How do I get this CD to boot up into somekind of instruction for
          > and OS on the screen? I open to anyone with suggestions who can take me
          > through. Thanks Mark

          I don't really know about Mandriva (I only installed it somewhere once,
          some time ago), but generally you'll just have to start the computer
          with the CD in the drive, and it should boot off it. If not, you
          probably need to configure the BIOS to enable booting of a CD.

          Once booted up, you'll have an installer (this being Mandriva, it'll
          be of the flashy graphical kind), you'll be able to select packages to
          install, partition the drive and change a couple of settings. Not much
          different from installing Windows, except you get to use your brain
          while doing it.

          If your computer is otherwise capable of booting off a CD but doesn't
          do this with the Mandriva, you've probably screwed something up. You
          seem to have missed out on the very popular screwup of using Nero or
          some such software to burn an .iso to a Cd as a file, but the .iso
          itself might be corrupt.

          Just do it. If it's a computer without any operating system you'd like
          to preserve, it is a piece of cake.

          Cheers
          --
          Horror Vacui

          War Is Peace
          Freedom Is Slavery
          Ignorance Is Strength
        • suziezuzie
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007

            > How did you download it to a CD. Basically, you burn the ISO to a
            CD,
            > using some kind of software--if you just used the WindowsXP copy to
            CD,
            > or send to CD utility, it won't work. However, as you see various
            files
            > on the CD, it sounds as if you burned it correctly.

            I downloaded Mandriva from a FTP server and then opened the file with
            ISO Buster and then copied this ISO file to a CD with Nero. The
            computer doesn't recognise the boot up file even though the BIOS is
            set to boot from a CD. So that's where I'm at right now. Once I get
            the boot up info. to show then I think I can figure out the rest.
            Thanks. Mark

            > To doublecheck that, though, go to the list faq at
            > http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu and check the questions
            about CD
            > burning, which also have some links.
            >
            > If you definitely burned it correctly, then perhaps there was
            something
            > wrong with the file you downloaded. In general, when you boot these
            > CDs, they should put you into some kind of screen with
            instructions. :)

            > (Either that, or they are live CDs. This means that they boot into
            > system that runs from CD, giving you a taste of what the O/S would
            look
            > like.)
            >
            > What do you get when you boot from the CD? Anything?
            >

            > --
            >
            > Scott Robbins
            >
            > PGP keyID EB3467D6
            >
            > Angel: Buffy, careful with this gift. Lots of things that seem
            > strong and good and powerful, they can be painful.
            > Buffy: Like, say, immortality?
            > Angel: Exactly. I'm dying to get rid of that.
            > Buffy: Funny.
            > Angel: I'm a funny guy.

          • Pedro Izecksohn
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
              > I downloaded Mandriva from a FTP server and then opened the file with
              > ISO Buster and then copied this ISO file to a CD with Nero. The
              > computer doesn't recognise the boot up file even though the BIOS is
              > set to boot from a CD. So that's where I'm at right now. Once I get
              > the boot up info. to show then I think I can figure out the rest.
              > Thanks. Mark

              Could IsoBuster modify the .iso?

              Do someone have experience with IsoBuster?

              What is shown on the screen?

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
            • Brad Rogers
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:47:14 -0000
                "suziezuzie" <msilver1951@...> wrote:

                Hello suziezuzie,

                > I downloaded Mandriva from a FTP server and then opened the file with
                > ISO Buster and then copied this ISO file to a CD with Nero. The

                Copying to CD won't/doesn't work here, because you end up with the .ISO
                file on the CD. You need to use a CD burning package (e.g. Nero) and
                select "Burn ISO to CD" or whatever the option is called[0]. When
                burnt, the CD should have lots of files & folders, not just a few.

                [0] I've never used Nero, so don't know the correct names and places
                of the options it has. I'm sure Google will be able to help.

                --
                Regards _
                / ) "The blindingly obvious is

                People stare like they've seen a ghost
                Titanic (My Over) Reaction - 999
              • Godwin Stewart
                • Brad Rogers
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                    On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:59:45 +0100
                    Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

                    Hello Godwin,

                    > If the OP saw more than one file on the CD then it was burned
                    > correctly. The only other alternative would have been creating a new
                    > filsystem image containing that *ONE* single .iso file.

                    Indeed, and normally, I wouldn't have siad what I said, but with some
                    confused information from the OP, in that the original request
                    indicated "some files" which, isn't a particularly helpful
                    description. Then, in the message I replied to, there's the bit
                    "...opened the file with ISO Buster and then copied this ISO file to a
                    CD with Nero." with specific mention of copying, not burning the image.

                    I was trying to clear up any mis-understandings.

                    Especially any I might have. :-)

                    --
                    Regards _
                    / ) "The blindingly obvious is
                    / _)rad never immediately apparent"

                    You destroyed my confidence, you broke my nerve
                    Nervous Wreck - Radio Stars

                  • Bin2Hex

                      ---
                      Virus Database (VPS): 000709-2, 2007-02-01
                      Tested on: 2007-02-03 10:08:18
                      • Brad Rogers
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                          On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:16:52 +0100
                          Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

                          Hello Godwin,

                          > > the ISO and copy them manually to the cd, efectively throwing out
                          > > the boot of the cd.
                          > Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

                          Neither had I. I suspect that Bin2 is right. It makes sense of all
                          the info given by the OP.

                          --
                          Regards _
                          / ) "The blindingly obvious is