Network Console connection

  • Jesse G. Lands
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
      OK I have been using Linux for years, but never bothered connecting to
      a Cisco device or other network device through console. What do you
      use to connect to it? I have googled, but I am obviously not correctly
      wording it.
      Thanks
      Jesse

      --
      JLands
      Arch Current
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
        On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:08:08 -0600
        Michael Sullivan <michael@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 16:35 +0000, Jesse G. Lands wrote:
        > > OK I have been using Linux for years, but never bothered connecting
        > > to a Cisco device or other network device through console. What do
        > > you use to connect to it? I have googled, but I am obviously not
        > > correctly wording it.
        > > Thanks
        > > Jesse
        >
        > I use ssh.

        Disregard. After I sent this email I tried changing up my google
        search and found some helpful information.

        http://jmatrix.net/dao/case/case.jsp?case=7F000001-15FB38-10C1D24524A-C4

        http://blog.ddiction.com/?p=965

        Thanks, I would like to know how you use ssh to connect to the console
        port or maybe you misunderstood the question.

        Thanks again

        --
        JLands
        Arch Current
        Registered Linux User #290053
      • Michael Sullivan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
          On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 16:35 +0000, Jesse G. Lands wrote:
          > OK I have been using Linux for years, but never bothered connecting to
          > a Cisco device or other network device through console. What do you
          > use to connect to it? I have googled, but I am obviously not correctly
          > wording it.
          > Thanks
          > Jesse

          I use ssh.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
            On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:35:12 +0000
            "Jesse G. Lands" <jglands@...> wrote:

            > OK I have been using Linux for years, but never bothered connecting to
            > a Cisco device or other network device through console. What do you
            > use to connect to it? I have googled, but I am obviously not
            > correctly wording it.

            console? do you mean serial port? i ask this as the cisco 'console'
            uses a rj45->9pin serial.

            if that's what you mean, then just start getty on ttyS0 or ttyS1

            the easiest way is to modify the /etc/inittab file, so that it includes
            lines like this:

            T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
            T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

            they might already exist.

            be careful. i think most computers don't have the free IRQs for BOTH
            serial ports concurrently, so just use one. if you're lucky your mother
            board will have the prints for COM1/COM2 positions, to make life a
            little easier.

            also note the speeds, 9600 is the most common, 115200 is creeping into
            some devices, but the vast majority use 9600.

            once you do this on your 'host' computer, then use something like
            minicom on the client computer. you can start minicom with:

            minicom -o

            so that it does not initialise. also, note that some devices (like the
            sun sparc) do not auto wrap long lines, there is an option in the
            settings for this, if the minicom program autowraps when it's not
            supposed to it can get confusing with some programs that write on the
            right-most column (80).

            if you connect computer -> computer, then you need what is called a
            null-modem cable (complicated wording for a serial cable that swaps
            cable positions), a regular 'modem' cable is what is used to
            communicate between a DTE (data terminating equipment, computer etc) and
            a DCE (data communicating equipment, modem, cisco router etc).

            DTE <-> DTE requires the cross
            DTE <-> DCE does not.

            http://www.hardwarebook.info/Nullmodem_%289-9%29
            http://www.hardwarebook.info/Cisco_Console_%289%29

            http://www.cc86.org/~pjf/hwb/mi_DefDteDce.html

            --
            Regards, Ed :: http://www.bsdwarez.net
            just another perl person
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
              On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:08:08 -0600
              Michael Sullivan <michael@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 16:35 +0000, Jesse G. Lands wrote:
              > > OK I have been using Linux for years, but never bothered connecting
              > > to a Cisco device or other network device through console. What do
              > > you use to connect to it? I have googled, but I am obviously not
              > > correctly wording it.
              > > Thanks
              > > Jesse
              >
              > I use ssh.

              oh, i forgot about that. but not all cisco's have ssh. we have one
              router in the office that's so old i'm sure it's pre-opnessh, that
              doesnt mean it can't do it...

              on the subject of ciscos, how many people have experienced flash errors
              after a few years?

              --
              Regards, Ed :: http://www.gnunix.net
              just another python person
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
                What you need is a crossover cable. You can make one pretty easily.

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3590/grpspId=1705006580/msgI
                d=52165/stime=1168900422/nc1=3848641/nc2=2/nc3=3>

              • Michael Kjorling
                • Rivera, Angel R
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
                    If you are going to talk to the CONSOLE PORT on a Cisco, you need (1) a
                    crossover cable and (2) a serial program to do so. Mincom is the one I
                    use on my laptop.

                    Since I have so many switches and boxes I use Cyclades to manage them
                    and to make sure they are logging some place I can read when I need it.