Best Wireless cards for FC6?

  • Bob Whitman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
      I am new to Linux.
      I have install FC6 on my Dell Dimension 2350.
      I would like to install Wireless card.
      My home network is using 802.11b wireless equipment.
      We are using a 802.11b Belkin router.
      What is the best Wireless card to install with FC6?
      Is there FC6 drivers and software for Wireless cards.
      Should I purchase Wireless USB or PCI cards.
      Which brands support FC6?
      Brands like LINKSYS, Belkin and etc.
      Thank You
      Bob Whitman
      xboomerx@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
        On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:21:16 -0000
        "Bob Whitman" <zzboomer@...> wrote:

        > I am new to Linux.
        > I have install FC6 on my Dell Dimension 2350.
        > I would like to install Wireless card.
        > My home network is using 802.11b wireless equipment.
        > We are using a 802.11b Belkin router.
        > What is the best Wireless card to install with FC6?
        > Is there FC6 drivers and software for Wireless cards.
        > Should I purchase Wireless USB or PCI cards.
        > Which brands support FC6?
        > Brands like LINKSYS, Belkin and etc.

        brand is nothing. chipset is everything. try hermes/prism. they're
        reasonably well supported.

        > xboomerx@...

        did you really want to give your email address out to the word of
        harvesters?

        --
        Regards, Ed :: http://www.gnunix.net
        proud unix hacker
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
          On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:52:57 +0000, ed wrote:

          > brand is nothing. chipset is everything. try hermes/prism. they're
          > reasonably well supported.

          Except that some Prism chipsets use SoftMAC and only work with
          ndiswrapper. Even chipset name isn't a guarantee. The safest option is to
          buy fro someone like http://www.linuxemprium.co.uk who sell a number of
          wireless adaptors that are known to work with Linux.

          Alternatively, look for an Edimax card, they are sold by Scan in the UK.
          These cards (PCI and USB) are reference designs and will always use the
          same chipsets. The USB version uses the zd1211 driver and worked well
          with my iBook before I was able to switch to the internal wireless.

          --
          Neil Bothwick

          Cross-country skiing is great in small countries.

        • Bhasker C V
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
            Bob,

            Most of the distributions now ship with the intel wireless cards
            drivers. But they are a complication to work with.

            If you want to have a easy setup then you have to go for some
            wireless card with atheros chipset in it. (There are many brands
            but you need to ask the dealer on what is the chipset inside). Linux
            drivers do not work with the card vendor type but they work with
            the chipset inside. For atheros chipsets, the madwifi driver at
            madwifi.org will work well. (precompiled drivers for FC6 must also
            be available).

            As of the type of card, i always prefer a PCMCIA card which is more
            manageable to setup compared to USB cards in linux. But my DELL
            USB card also works fine (windows driver).

            You need not even have to worry about compiling drivers for linux if
            you use niswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/). This will
            help you to install windows drivers (supplied with the card) on linux
            straight away and it will work.

            You can mail me if you need anymore help.

            --- Bob Whitman <zzboomer@...> wrote:

            > I am new to Linux.
            > I have install FC6 on my Dell Dimension 2350.
            > I would like to install Wireless card.
            > My home network is using 802.11b wireless equipment.
            > We are using a 802.11b Belkin router.
            > What is the best Wireless card to install with FC6?
            > Is there FC6 drivers and software for Wireless cards.
            > Should I purchase Wireless USB or PCI cards.
            > Which brands support FC6?
            > Brands like LINKSYS, Belkin and etc.
            > Thank You
            > Bob Whitman
            > xboomerx@...

            Bye
            Bhasker C V
            Registered Linux user: #306349
            The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux.
            My death day: 29th Oct 2046 @ http://www.deathclock.com/ :-)

            Cheap talk?
            http://voice.yahoo.com