Linux is Awesome!

  • mot_radio
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
      Greetz,

      I've been "Linux Only" for about 6 months now. Not even touched
      Windows in about 6 months.

      I switched to Linux because Windows sucks balls. I've used
      Windows 98, 98se, ME and 2000 and except for 2000, Windows was the
      most unreliable most insecure thing I ever used. Windows 2000 was
      decent but still slow and a pain in the butt to network.

      I'm currently Dual-Booted with Freespire and Slackware 10.2 and
      I've used Freespire, Slackware 10.1 + 10.2, Minislack 1.0 + 1.1,
      Zenwalk 3.0, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, LDIOS Test3 + Test4.

      On Linux I can say it usually is hard to get networking setup,
      and for me it's almost impossible to get a printer working, but
      overall I'm glad I use Linux.

      To those with problems with their Linux, hang in there. Linux is
      well worth the effort. If you have problem, search the net for a
      solution, if you find nothing then search some linux forums. If you
      still don't find a solution, ask some friends who use linux and they
      may can help. Don't have any friends using linux? Look for them.
      Many people use linux now, but most never say they do because no one
      asks.
    • Jim Reimer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
        mot_radio wrote:

        > On Linux I can say it usually is hard to get networking setup,
        > and for me it's almost impossible to get a printer working, but
        > overall I'm glad I use Linux.

        I never had any trouble with networking, but always found it much
        easier to access the printer through a Windows share on another
        computer (even though it's a network printer)..... until FC4. Now,
        everything works the way it should - no more Windows share for the
        printer - and everything was easy to set up.

        --
        -jdr-
      • Robert C Wittig
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
          mot_radio wrote:
          > Greetz,
          >
          > I've been "Linux Only" for about 6 months now. Not even touched
          > Windows in about 6 months.
          >
          > I switched to Linux because Windows sucks balls. I've used
          > Windows 98, 98se, ME and 2000 and except for 2000, Windows was the
          > most unreliable most insecure thing I ever used. Windows 2000 was
          > decent but still slow and a pain in the butt to network.

          I am still running Win2k Pro for my graphics workstation, where it
          drives my large format scanner, high resolution film scanner, and two
          Epson 3000 large format printers.

          I also have a bunch of high-end graphics apps for image manipulation,
          that I am too used to using, to want to abandon.

          > I'm currently Dual-Booted with Freespire and Slackware 10.2 and
          > I've used Freespire, Slackware 10.1 + 10.2, Minislack 1.0 + 1.1,
          > Zenwalk 3.0, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, LDIOS Test3 + Test4.

          I've been running Linux Red Hat for about 6 years now, and I like it
          just fine.<g>

          > On Linux I can say it usually is hard to get networking setup,
          > and for me it's almost impossible to get a printer working, but
          > overall I'm glad I use Linux.

          I think networking is easier on *nix.

          Running a supported printer with CUPS is pretty simple too, for everyday
          use.

          > To those with problems with their Linux, hang in there. Linux is
          > well worth the effort. If you have problem, search the net for a
          > solution, if you find nothing then search some linux forums. If you
          > still don't find a solution, ask some friends who use linux and they
          > may can help. Don't have any friends using linux? Look for them.
          > Many people use linux now, but most never say they do because no one
          > asks.

          A lot of Linux users (self included) also use BSD operating systems.

          --
          -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
          . http://robertwittig.net/