Re: [linux] is dis active

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
      On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:05:41 +0200
      Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

      > Hehe - none of us are getting any younger! In just over a year I'll be
      > hitting the psychological barrier of 40 years of age - gahhhhh... Of
      > course, Scott is positively geriatric compared to us :)

      For calling Scott Geriatric, I went through a real glum patch around my
      25th. That was in December.

      My general outward attitude has chanced much since I've been subscribed
      to this list, it might even be noticeable in the archives, that might be
      a direct result of Linux culture or environmental aspects.

      I wonder how much of us remains immortalised in these archives?

      > > In May of 1999, i got some money from my grandfather and got a used
      > > PI/266, which was in use all the way up to April of this year,
      >
      > I was using a similar box as my gateway/firewall/server until about a
      > month ago, at which point I decided that it really was too antiquated
      > and put a P-III/500 in there instead. The old box was running
      > Slackware 8 with many updates, but still the core of the O/S was
      > really too old to be able to do anything serious with it. This has now
      > been remedied and the "new" machine is running Slackware 10.2.

      It might be worth checking the power consumption of the 486. I'm looking
      to go backwards with my personal gateway some time soon now, I have a
      sneaking suspicion that there is money to be saved... Or maybe forward
      with something like a Soekris. http://www.soekris.com/net4526.htm,
      that's just gotta run on fresh air, maybe even a large solar panel.

      > > Distros i have been through are Redhat 5.1, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2, and
      > > then Debian 3.0 and now 3.1 (Sarge). If i ever changed distros
      > > again, i'm undecided between Ubuntu, PLD and Gentoo.
      >
      > I started off with RH 5.2, then 6.0, then 7.1, and in the Summer of
      > 2001 I saw the light and dropped RH like a hot potato. I switched to
      > Slackware because it's about as close as you'll get to a BSD while
      > still being GNU/Linux. I just *hate* the SystemV-style startup that
      > more and more distros are adopting.

      Well SysV might be illogical in some respects... since most people just
      exist in run level 2 (speaking from Debian). You might not be interested
      but DJB has a nice package called daemon-tools for keeping sever
      programs running (it just a glorified exec/waitpid loop). Currently I'm
      in the process of converting all the important init scripts apache,
      email, dns, cron, syslog etc, nothing runs forever...

      There is more functionality to SysV it is annoying at first, but often
      worth it in the long run. It's ok on BSDs to not have it, but isn't it
      just less work to run /etc/init.d/<program> start/stop/restart/reload
      than to manually organise control scripts? Each to their own... SysV is
      a good thing in my book though... having to look after both BSD and SysV
      boxes..

      --
      Regards, Ed :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
      just another linux person
      • Robert C Wittig
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
          Godwin Stewart wrote:

          > "Different" is probably a better description than "better". I'm still
          > waiting for ringzero to gain momentum, and I do appreciate that it's
          > going to take time geven that I'm not spamming every blog, BBS and
          > mailing list in Ghu's creation for it :)
          >
          > However, given that Ed brought it up and not me, for those who are
          > interested here's the URL:
          >
          > http://www.freelists.org/webpage/ringzero

          In my experience, it takes years to build an e-list that has a good
          balance between number of members, and quality of postings.

          When I first joined this list, in 2000 (I unsubbed for a while, and then
          rejoined), I seem to remember the average quality of posts from new
          Linux users being higher quality... more interested in actually learning
          Linux and the *nix culture, as opposed to 'gimme-gimme' posts, from the
          more current crop of Linux users, who appear to be interested only in
          finding a free alternative to Windows, that is as Windows-like as
          possible in look and feel, and requires zero maintenance, zero
          knowledge, and is 100% impervious to all security flaws, and who are
          ready and willing to gripe loudly and often, if their expectations are
          not immediately gratified.<g>

          I suspect that ringzero came into existence as a response to this
          demographic change... 'different' meaning that ringzero is intended more
          for the *nix user who is interested in a deeper understanding of the
          operating system, and the Linux Culture, than is typical among the
          'gimme-gimme' generation of Linux users.

          On this list, I'm an old-timer... on ringzero, I'm a noob.

          Enough said.

          --
          -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
          . http://robertwittig.net/
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2006
            Godwin Stewart wrote:
            >>Hey, is John O'Donnell still around?
            >
            > AFAIK. He'll probably confirm himself if he is 'round these parts.

            yeah I still lurk. Linux is still the ONLY system I use. I play alot of World
            of Warcraft and it plays very nice with Cedega. I still run private game
            servers over at http://penguin.game-host.org - the lists are probably out of
            date, but its all run on a dual AMD proc Slackware box chugs very well with
            practically unlimited bandwidth (it's good to have friends that work at an ISP
            ;-) )

            Gettin into Counter Strike.

            I bought that Tape-RW drive (retro cassette) from think geek
            http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/7a8d/ and wrote some linux command
            line software to run it http://mrlinux.homelinux.com/plusdeck/
            It works well. Far from finished

            Yeah I still am around and futz sometimes...

            Peace
            Johnny O

            --
            === Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7, 2006
              Today, John O'Donnell wrote:

              >yeah I still lurk. Linux is still the ONLY system I use.

              Hi John! Another proud unibooter, cool! :)

              --

              --{-@ Alanna @-}--

              "By the grace of God, that which does not kill me only makes me stronger"
              "God is dead - Nietzsche" "Nietzsche is dead - GOD"
              "I seem to have seriously OVERestimated the intelligence of the human race" - me