Re: [linux] is dis active

  • Alanna Roe
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
      Today, Godwin Stewart wrote:

      >Like all mailing lists, activity comes in waves. Other than
      >periodic troughs of traffic, this list has been active for 8 years
      >now.

      Has it been that long? I remember having initially joined this list
      back in January of 1999, back when it was on the now-borg'd Onelist.
      Since then, the list has been through changes, as have i. OMG, i've
      been on this list for 7.5 years? Whoa.

      My computage has changed too... When i joined this list, i had just
      installed Redhat 5.1 in dual-boot with windoze 3.11 on an old 486
      that took over five minutes to boot Linux or start Netscape. I was
      so nervous about this new (to me) Linux thing, and i don't think i
      could have succeded in using Linux without this list.

      In May of 1999, i got some money from my grandfather and got a used
      PI/266, which was in use all the way up to April of this year, and
      now i have a nice 1.2ghz Athlon Thunderbird whitebox with 512m RAM
      and 110g disk running a multihead setup.

      Distros i have been through are Redhat 5.1, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2, and
      then Debian 3.0 and now 3.1 (Sarge). If i ever changed distros
      again, i'm undecided between Ubuntu, PLD and Gentoo.

      On the list itself, i have been through a few changes. I've been a
      part of the list under three names now, and more than a handfull of
      email addresses. I was a moderator here for 3 or 4 years, and
      sometime i had to drop off the list for a year or two due to some
      rather extreme turbulence in my life that no human being should ever
      have to go through. But now, i'm baaaack!! Mua ha ha ha.

      Of course, if i've been on this list for 7.5 years, then that means
      i've known Scott and Godwin and company for that long as well. Yeah,
      they're both great guys. The three of us also for a while ran
      redhat@yahoogroups, before i had to give up my involvement in it due
      to the aforementioned personal turbulence.

      Hey, is John O'Donnell still around?

      --

      --{-@ Alanna @-}--

      "By the grace of God, that which does not kill me only makes me stronger"
      "God is dead - Nietzsche" "Nietzsche is dead - GOD"
    • Godwin Stewart

        On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:01:44 -0600 (MDT), Alanna Roe
        <alannaroe@...> wrote:

        > Has it been that long? I remember having initially joined this list
        > back in January of 1999, back when it was on the now-borg'd Onelist.
        > Since then, the list has been through changes, as have i. OMG, i've
        > been on this list for 7.5 years? Whoa.

        Hehe - none of us are getting any younger! In just over a year I'll be
        hitting the psychological barrier of 40 years of age - gahhhhh... Of
        course, Scott is positively geriatric compared to us :)

        > In May of 1999, i got some money from my grandfather and got a used
        > PI/266, which was in use all the way up to April of this year,

        I was using a similar box as my gateway/firewall/server until about a
        month ago, at which point I decided that it really was too antiquated
        and put a P-III/500 in there instead. The old box was running Slackware
        8 with many updates, but still the core of the O/S was really too old
        to be able to do anything serious with it. This has now been remedied
        and the "new" machine is running Slackware 10.2.

        > Distros i have been through are Redhat 5.1, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2, and
        > then Debian 3.0 and now 3.1 (Sarge). If i ever changed distros
        > again, i'm undecided between Ubuntu, PLD and Gentoo.

        I started off with RH 5.2, then 6.0, then 7.1, and in the Summer of
        2001 I saw the light and dropped RH like a hot potato. I switched to
        Slackware because it's about as close as you'll get to a BSD while
        still being GNU/Linux. I just *hate* the SystemV-style startup that
        more and more distros are adopting.

        > Of course, if i've been on this list for 7.5 years, then that means
        > i've known Scott and Godwin and company for that long as well. Yeah,
        > they're both great guys. The three of us also for a while ran
        > redhat@yahoogroups

        I haven't been here that long. My first postings on this list must have
        been in 2001 some time. I believe they had already changed from OneList
        to eGroups at that point in time, but hadn't yet been ruined by Yahpoo!.

        > Hey, is John O'Donnell still around?

        AFAIK. He'll probably confirm himself if he is 'round these parts.

        - --
        G. Stewart
        gstewart@...
      • Brad Rogers
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
          On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:05:41 +0200
          Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

          Hello Godwin,

          > have been in 2001 some time. I believe they had already changed from
          > OneList to eGroups at that point in time, but hadn't yet been ruined

          I remember subscribing to various mailing lists at OneList, and later,
          eGroups. Not this list, though. In fact, eGroups and OneList were in
          competition at one point. All gone severely down-hill, as you say,
          since Yahoo took over. Still, it's preferable to web based forums.

          Egads, I feel old, now. Especially since I turned 40 six years ago.

          --
          Regards _
          / ) "The blindingly obvious is

          This disease is catching
          Into The Valley - Skids
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
            Alanna Roe <alannaroe@...> wrote:

            > When i joined this list, i had just
            > installed Redhat 5.1 in dual-boot with windoze 3.11 on an old 486
            > that took over five minutes to boot Linux or start Netscape. I was
            > so nervous about this new (to me) Linux thing, and i don't think i
            > could have succeded in using Linux without this list.

            Remember x11amp, staroffice 5 and Corel WordPerfect? Ahhh sweet
            nostalgia.

            http://memory.xmms.org/x11amp_v1/

            Not exactly sure when I joined this list, but some day I looked through
            the archives to find my first post was.

            Anyway, the ringzero list is better..

            --
            Regards, Ed :: http://www.s5h.net
            proud java hacker
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
              On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:05:41 +0200
              Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

              > Hehe - none of us are getting any younger! In just over a year I'll be
              > hitting the psychological barrier of 40 years of age - gahhhhh... Of
              > course, Scott is positively geriatric compared to us :)

              For calling Scott Geriatric, I went through a real glum patch around my
              25th. That was in December.

              My general outward attitude has chanced much since I've been subscribed
              to this list, it might even be noticeable in the archives, that might be
              a direct result of Linux culture or environmental aspects.

              I wonder how much of us remains immortalised in these archives?

              > > In May of 1999, i got some money from my grandfather and got a used
              > > PI/266, which was in use all the way up to April of this year,
              >
              > I was using a similar box as my gateway/firewall/server until about a
              > month ago, at which point I decided that it really was too antiquated
              > and put a P-III/500 in there instead. The old box was running
              > Slackware 8 with many updates, but still the core of the O/S was
              > really too old to be able to do anything serious with it. This has now
              > been remedied and the "new" machine is running Slackware 10.2.

              It might be worth checking the power consumption of the 486. I'm looking
              to go backwards with my personal gateway some time soon now, I have a
              sneaking suspicion that there is money to be saved... Or maybe forward
              with something like a Soekris. http://www.soekris.com/net4526.htm,
              that's just gotta run on fresh air, maybe even a large solar panel.

              > > Distros i have been through are Redhat 5.1, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2, and
              > > then Debian 3.0 and now 3.1 (Sarge). If i ever changed distros
              > > again, i'm undecided between Ubuntu, PLD and Gentoo.
              >
              > I started off with RH 5.2, then 6.0, then 7.1, and in the Summer of
              > 2001 I saw the light and dropped RH like a hot potato. I switched to
              > Slackware because it's about as close as you'll get to a BSD while
              > still being GNU/Linux. I just *hate* the SystemV-style startup that
              > more and more distros are adopting.

              Well SysV might be illogical in some respects... since most people just
              exist in run level 2 (speaking from Debian). You might not be interested
              but DJB has a nice package called daemon-tools for keeping sever
              programs running (it just a glorified exec/waitpid loop). Currently I'm
              in the process of converting all the important init scripts apache,
              email, dns, cron, syslog etc, nothing runs forever...

              There is more functionality to SysV it is annoying at first, but often
              worth it in the long run. It's ok on BSDs to not have it, but isn't it
              just less work to run /etc/init.d/<program> start/stop/restart/reload
              than to manually organise control scripts? Each to their own... SysV is
              a good thing in my book though... having to look after both BSD and SysV
              boxes..

              --
              Regards, Ed :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
              just another linux person

                On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:36:34 +0100, ed <ed@...> wrote:

                > Anyway, the ringzero list is better..

                "Different" is probably a better description than "better". I'm still
                waiting for ringzero to gain momentum, and I do appreciate that it's
                going to take time geven that I'm not spamming every blog, BBS and
                mailing list in Ghu's creation for it :)

                However, given that Ed brought it up and not me, for those who are
                interested here's the URL:

                http://www.freelists.org/webpage/ringzero

                - --
                G. Stewart
                gstewart@...
              • Robert C Wittig
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Godwin Stewart wrote:

                  > "Different" is probably a better description than "better". I'm still
                  > waiting for ringzero to gain momentum, and I do appreciate that it's
                  > going to take time geven that I'm not spamming every blog, BBS and
                  > mailing list in Ghu's creation for it :)
                  >
                  > However, given that Ed brought it up and not me, for those who are
                  > interested here's the URL:
                  >
                  > http://www.freelists.org/webpage/ringzero

                  In my experience, it takes years to build an e-list that has a good
                  balance between number of members, and quality of postings.

                  When I first joined this list, in 2000 (I unsubbed for a while, and then
                  rejoined), I seem to remember the average quality of posts from new
                  Linux users being higher quality... more interested in actually learning
                  Linux and the *nix culture, as opposed to 'gimme-gimme' posts, from the
                  more current crop of Linux users, who appear to be interested only in
                  finding a free alternative to Windows, that is as Windows-like as
                  possible in look and feel, and requires zero maintenance, zero
                  knowledge, and is 100% impervious to all security flaws, and who are
                  ready and willing to gripe loudly and often, if their expectations are
                  not immediately gratified.<g>

                  I suspect that ringzero came into existence as a response to this
                  demographic change... 'different' meaning that ringzero is intended more
                  for the *nix user who is interested in a deeper understanding of the
                  operating system, and the Linux Culture, than is typical among the
                  'gimme-gimme' generation of Linux users.

                  On this list, I'm an old-timer... on ringzero, I'm a noob.

                  Enough said.

                  --
                  -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                  . http://robertwittig.net/
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 7, 2006
                    Godwin Stewart wrote:
                    >>Hey, is John O'Donnell still around?
                    >
                    > AFAIK. He'll probably confirm himself if he is 'round these parts.

                    yeah I still lurk. Linux is still the ONLY system I use. I play alot of World
                    of Warcraft and it plays very nice with Cedega. I still run private game
                    servers over at http://penguin.game-host.org - the lists are probably out of
                    date, but its all run on a dual AMD proc Slackware box chugs very well with
                    practically unlimited bandwidth (it's good to have friends that work at an ISP
                    ;-) )

                    Gettin into Counter Strike.

                    I bought that Tape-RW drive (retro cassette) from think geek
                    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/7a8d/ and wrote some linux command
                    line software to run it http://mrlinux.homelinux.com/plusdeck/
                    It works well. Far from finished

                    Yeah I still am around and futz sometimes...

                    Peace
                    Johnny O

                    --
                    === Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 7, 2006
                      Today, John O'Donnell wrote:

                      >yeah I still lurk. Linux is still the ONLY system I use.

                      Hi John! Another proud unibooter, cool! :)

                      --

                      --{-@ Alanna @-}--

                      "By the grace of God, that which does not kill me only makes me stronger"
                      "God is dead - Nietzsche" "Nietzsche is dead - GOD"
                      "I seem to have seriously OVERestimated the intelligence of the human race" - me