Re: xcdroast issue

  • Eugene Poole
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2006
      Initially, I used xcdroast to create DVD's (even dual layer). After I
      did a yum update on my system it stopped working. I've went and
      downloaded the latest cdrecord_ProDVD, intalled it without success
      (same message). It's almost like it has stashed it somewhere (and
      maybe renamed it) that even using find with root can't locate it. Is
      there a better way to burn DVD's? The doc you list below only deals
      with CD burning.

    • Godwin Stewart

        On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:04:55 -0000, "Eugene Poole"
        <etpoole@...> wrote:

        > Is there a better way to burn DVD's? The doc you list below only deals
        > with CD burning.

        First of all, please don't top-post. Please learn to trim and
        inline-post.

        Applications like X-CDRoast and K3b are, IMO, a waste of storage space
        and system resources. All they do is call other applications and
        present the user with otherwise pointless eye-candy. It is far more
        efficient to bypass the eye-candy and get straight to the point.

        For burning CDs: mkisofs and cdrecord.

        For burning DVDs: mkisofs and growisofs (which is part of the
        dvd+rw-tools package).

        Unlike cdrecord-ProDVD, growisofs will deal with both -R(W) and +R(W).
        The man page for growisofs really is quite explicit.

        http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

        - --
        G. Stewart
        gstewart@...