Re: [linux] Usbnet module with cdc_ether for Usb adsl modem

  • Michael Kjorling

      On 2006-06-28 15:01 -0500, rodolfojcj@... wrote:
      > But when the system starts it doesn't recognize the
      > starbridge 305U adsl modem connected to a USB port.

      Let's see if I got this right... the modem works once you load the
      module, but (the module is not auto-loaded on system startup so) after
      a reboot the modem stops working?

      If that's it, does it work adding a modprobe command to a late system
      startup script? (Not knowing Ubuntu specifically, look for a rc.local,
      which is usually executed at the end of the boot sequence, or edit the
      networking startup scripts. Look around under /etc, primarily in
      directories with names like /etc/rc.d, /etc/init.d, etc.)

      Once the network interface comes up, you'll need to assign an IP
      address to it to be able to do anything particularly useful, for which
      you either need a static address, or (more likely) a DHCP client to be
      executed. Try "dhcpcd eth0" (or whatever the interface is called) as
      root; it should return you to the prompt with no output, or at the
      very least no error output. Note that this has nothing to do with the
      modem being recognized or the network interface itself coming up.

      - --
      Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
      * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
      * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *
      * PGP/GnuPG encrypted e-mail preferred * OpenPGP key ID: 0xBDE9ADA6 *

    • Rodolfo José Castellanos J.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2006
        > > But when the system starts it doesn't recognize
        > the
        > > starbridge 305U adsl modem connected to a USB
        > port.
        >
        > Let's see if I got this right... the modem works
        > once you load the
        > module, but (the module is not auto-loaded on system
        > startup so) after
        > a reboot the modem stops working?
        >
        > If that's it, does it work adding a modprobe command
        > to a late system
        > startup script? (Not knowing Ubuntu specifically,
        > look for a rc.local,
        > which is usually executed at the end of the boot
        > sequence, or edit the
        > networking startup scripts. Look around under /etc,
        > primarily in
        > directories with names like /etc/rc.d, /etc/init.d,
        > etc.)

        Hi, thanks Michael for your answer. Excuse me for not
        answering at time.

        We gave up. The solution was buy a new ethernet switch
        and forget everything about the usb adsl modem.

        A friend (he knows a lot of Linux!) said us that it is
        very difficult to work with these modems with Linux.
        He recommended that, for sanity, we should buy an
        ethernet switch, and it is that we did.

        Anyway, thanks a lot for your time and answer.

        Bye,
        Rodolfo José Castellanos Jaimes.

        Correo Yahoo!