niggling usb mouse problem

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25 7:42 AM
      Hello,

      Recently my trusty USB MS Optical Wheel mouse developed an inoperable
      left mouse button, so I purchased two new said named mice (since they
      were cheap and I thought it'd be good to have the same mouse on both my
      PCs).

      Every hour or so the pointer goes berserk. I think it happens most often
      if I leave the mouse alone, and use the keyboard for a bit, when I go
      back to the mouse it will often jump to the top of the screen and move
      about 600 pixels horizontally, but then be fine again for hours.

      The keyboard is connected via PS2. It's odd and happens with both mice.
      Any advice greatly appreciated.

      (Using 2.6.15.1)

      --
      Regards, Ed
      :%s/\t/ /g
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25 8:25 AM
        Hello ed,

        Saturday, February 25, 2006, 9:42:17 AM, you wrote:

        e> Recently my trusty USB MS Optical Wheel mouse developed an inoperable
        e> left mouse button, so I purchased two new said named mice (since they
        e> were cheap and I thought it'd be good to have the same mouse on both my
        e> PCs).

        e> Every hour or so the pointer goes berserk. I think it happens most often
        e> if I leave the mouse alone, and use the keyboard for a bit, when I go
        e> back to the mouse it will often jump to the top of the screen and move
        e> about 600 pixels horizontally, but then be fine again for hours.

        e> The keyboard is connected via PS2. It's odd and happens with both mice.
        e> Any advice greatly appreciated.

        I had the same symptoms that you describe using a non-USB optical
        mouse, run through my Compaq rackmount KVM switch... the kind that has
        the the small visible number at the top of the display to tell you
        which computer on the rack you are accessing, and that uses the
        PrintScrn button to toggle between machines.

        I had to revert to my old three-button non-optical mouse, to make the
        problem go permanently away, but also, touching the reset button on
        the KVM also stopped the problem... until I switched machines.

        -wittig
        website: http://www.robertwittig.com/
        .
      • Pedro Izecksohn
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25 3:04 PM
          --- ed <ed@...> wrote:

          > Every hour or so the pointer goes berserk. I think it happens most
          > often
          > if I leave the mouse alone, and use the keyboard for a bit, when I
          > go
          > back to the mouse it will often jump to the top of the screen and
          > move
          > about 600 pixels horizontally, but then be fine again for hours.
          >
          > The keyboard is connected via PS2. It's odd and happens with both
          > mice.
          > Any advice greatly appreciated.
          >
          > (Using 2.6.15.1)

          May be it is a hotplug problem?

          On some computers, if hotplug is disabled, the mouse goes crazy.

          I use kernel version 2.6.11 .

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 26 1:58 AM
            On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:04:20 -0800 (PST)
            Pedro Izecksohn <izecksohn@...> wrote:

            > May be it is a hotplug problem?
            >
            > On some computers, if hotplug is disabled, the mouse goes crazy.
            >
            > I use kernel version 2.6.11 .

            According to dmesg, I have usb hotplug:

            dmesg | grep hot
            usb usb1: hotplug
            usb 1-0:1.0: hotplug
            usb usb2: hotplug
            usb 2-0:1.0: hotplug
            usb usb3: hotplug
            usb 3-0:1.0: hotplug
            usb 2-1: hotplug
            usb 2-1:1.0: hotplug

            Although, I think the mouse is using ohci_hcd, and does not appear to
            work with just ehci_hcd, which maybe it should be using.

            I get the same results on my laptop with it, so maybe it's a
            device driver problem.

            --
            Regards, Ed :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
            :%s/\t/ /g :: proud unix system person