HOW TO extend Partition

  • Ravi Thakur
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi friends ,

      hope u all are doing well,

      I got 20 GB /Home directory. now it is full. I would like to Extend . I got Other HDD with 250 GB. Can U please tell me how to add this HDD to My /home partition so that user will not be having any problem .Please tell me method to extend partition so that DATA LOSS WILL NOT BE THERE.
      THANKS

    • Gaurav gupta
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        hey what kind of hdd u r having n board also tell me.
        if ur board support sata hdd can easily add it. then
        go for it, or gor for a barakuda hdd.

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Godwin Stewart
        • Michael Kjorling
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
              On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:00:08 +0100
              Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:00:45 -0800 (PST), Ravi Thakur
              > <rb_thakur2001@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I got 20 GB /Home directory. now it is full. I would like to Extend
              > > . I got Other HDD with 250 GB. Can U please tell me how to add this
              > > HDD to My /home partition so that user will not be having any
              > > problem .Please tell me method to extend partition so that DATA
              > > LOSS WILL NOT BE THERE.
              >
              > AFAIK you can't extend a partition.
              >
              > You can create a new, bigger partition on the 250GB disk, copy the
              > data over, unmount the current /home partition and finally mount the
              > new one on /home.

              There's GNU parted for solving all partition size woes.

              It's got a useful tool called partprobe.

              <Blurb>
              The GNU Parted disk partition resizing program GNU Parted is a program
              that allows you to create, destroy, resize, move and copy hard disk
              partitions. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems,
              reorganising disk usage, and copying data to new hard disks. This
              package contains the Parted binary and manual page.
              </blurb>

              --
              Regards, Ed http://www.usenix.org.uk - http://irc.is-cool.net
              A TCP/IP stack was the worst feature windows ever got