Problem with tty and X

  • Rodolfo José Castellanos J.
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi friends, I hope all of you be fine.

      Last night I did a "yum update" to my CentOS system in
      order to update all the packages of my computer.

      This morning I reviewed the updates and all are fine.
      Then I needed to changed to a tty (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F1)
      and did some stuff. Perfect. Later I tried to return
      to my X session with Ctrl+Alt+F7 and, bad surprise :-(
      , the system hanged up; the keyboard didn't response,
      no longer was possible to return to tty[1, 6] with
      Ctrl+Alt+F[1, 6]. Then I reboot, tried again to change
      between ttys and X, and the system hanged up again.

      Do you any idea about this problem?
      Thanks in advance by your time, attention and answers.
      Rodolfo José Castellanos Jaimes.

      Distro: CentOS 4.1
      Kernel: 2.6.9-11
      Display Manager: kdm
      KDE version: 3.3.1-5.8

      Correo Yahoo!
    • Bhasker C V
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
        sometimes there is a kernel issue whereby while
        doing a vtswitch, the kernel crashes ! in those times
        there is pretty much nothing we can do ... ( i have seen this
        a couple of times especially when using particular video cards with
        nearest possible drivers and not having exact drivers).

        My be you can switch to vesa mode. that might stabilize the card and
        also the problem will go off.

        --- "Rodolfo José Castellanos J." <rodolfojcj@...> wrote:

        > Hi friends, I hope all of you be fine.
        >
        > Last night I did a "yum update" to my CentOS system in
        > order to update all the packages of my computer.
        >
        > This morning I reviewed the updates and all are fine.
        > Then I needed to changed to a tty (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F1)
        > and did some stuff. Perfect. Later I tried to return
        > to my X session with Ctrl+Alt+F7 and, bad surprise :-(
        > , the system hanged up; the keyboard didn't response,
        > no longer was possible to return to tty[1, 6] with
        > Ctrl+Alt+F[1, 6]. Then I reboot, tried again to change
        > between ttys and X, and the system hanged up again.
        >
        > Do you any idea about this problem?
        > Thanks in advance by your time, attention and answers.
        > Rodolfo José Castellanos Jaimes.
        >
        > Distro: CentOS 4.1
        > Kernel: 2.6.9-11
        > Display Manager: kdm
        > KDE version: 3.3.1-5.8

        > Correo Yahoo!
        > Regístrate ya - http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/

        Bye
        Bhasker C V
        Registered Linux user: #306349
        The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux.
        My death day: 29th Oct 2046 @ http://www.deathclock.com/ :-)

        http://mail.yahoo.com