Re: [linux] iam lost in mandrake

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
      venkat raman wrote:

      > hey thanks guys,
      >
      > i solved my problem yesterday it self it was the problem with no
      > space in my root partition when i said to format my root partition it
      > was just fine that all worked out.
      >
      > now iam haveing problem with mysql. when i use service mysql restart
      > it says stopping is failed and starting is ok when i repeat the
      > command again it says the same so when i gave status it sasy it has
      > been stopped and when i call mysql it says ERROR 2002: cannot connect
      > to mysql server using the socket "/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock"
      >
      > what is the meaning

      Mysql uses a socket to connect to the mysql server. That socket is not
      working. That means that the mysql server is probably not running.
      Take a look at your mysql log files. Mine are in /var/log/mysql, yours
      might vary a bit. Hopefully it will tell you why it's not starting.

      | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@...> |
      | AIM: Uncaring Eyes ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 |
      | "We Trills have an expression -- at forty, you |
      | think you know everything. At four hundred you |
      | realize you know nothing." - Dax, Startrek DS9 |
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
        On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:01:17 +0530
        "venkat raman" <venkat83_2010@...> wrote:

        > now iam haveing problem with mysql. when i use service mysql restart
        > it says stopping is failed and starting is ok when i repeat the
        > command again it says the same so when i gave status it sasy it has
        > been stopped and when i call mysql it says ERROR 2002: cannot connect
        > to mysql server using the socket "/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock"

        You must first run the mysql install script:

        /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db -u root password password
        /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe

        Those locations may differ on your system.

        > what is the meaning

        42?

        --
        http://edd.link9.net - http://irc.is-cool.net