Re: [linux] Exchange vs other servers

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
      ed wrote:

      > This post, sadly may draw the wrong attention, so I'm dubious about
      > posting this.
      >
      > Today, I found the exchange server to stop itself, shortly after
      > starting the MS mail store service. So after looking at the event, I
      > saw error 1112, 'we ran out of addressable numbers'. I believe this
      > is a flaw with the database engine that accesses the message
      > database, but anyhow.

      Check this paper out:

      http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/

      "Maildirs will also do poorly with an inefficient filesystem that stores
      very large folders which are frequently searched for specific content."

      That, along with the fact that MS likes to do their own thing is my
      guess why it doesn't use maildir.

      | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@...> |
      | AIM: Uncaring Eyes ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 |
      | "We Trills have an expression -- at forty, you |
      | think you know everything. At four hundred you |
      | realize you know nothing." - Dax, Startrek DS9 |
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
        On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:03:20 -0700
        Raquel Rice <raquel-linux@...> wrote:

        > > Just a thought, what is a reasonable size for a Maildir, before
        > > one considers it too slow?
        > >
        > <snip>
        >
        > I guess this is the "wrong attention" you supposedly didn't want to
        > draw?
        >
        > But, is this somehow a Linux question which I obviously missed?

        Not a question as such, more an opinion, perhaps I should have outlined
        it better.

        "MS imposed a limit of 16 gig on their data file, how does
        Courier IMAP/Maildir perform when accessing 16gig over various
        accounts, for perhaps 40 accounts". (Thats 400-ish meg per home dir).

        Would it perform better or worse on same hardware? Is there some special
        reason why MS chose a limited Jet DB? Would this be impossibly slow with
        IMAP?

        --
        http://edd.link9.net - http://irc.is-cool.net