ascii accents

  • Romeo Macapobre
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      hi im a newbie at linux. im resending my question.
      i recently installed fedora core and i used to be able to make french
      accents appear using the keyboard (when i am using windows). alt + 0231 will
      output the c with the tail in the word garcon (boy)
      do you know how ill do that in linux?
      thanks,
      max <http://rmacapobre.blogspot.com>

    • Robert Young
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:50:45 +0800
        Romeo Macapobre <romeo.macapobre@...> wrote:

        > hi im a newbie at linux. im resending my question.
        > i recently installed fedora core and i used to be able to make french
        > accents appear using the keyboard (when i am using windows). alt + 0231 will
        >
        > output the c with the tail in the word garcon (boy)
        > do you know how ill do that in linux?
        > thanks,

        Here is a brief HOWTO.

        1. Define a compose key.
        Choose an unused key -- one of the 3 windoze keys is a good choice if you have
        them.
        Run the program xev and press the selected key. Note its scancode. Kill xev.

        2. Create a custom Xmodmap.
        Run the command: -
        xmodmap -pke > ~/.Xmodmap
        Open the file ~/Xmodmap in a text editor and find the line starting with the
        scancode you found in step 1. Add "Multi_key" to it.
        For example, if you chose key 117, you will make the line read
        "keycode 117 = Multi_key"
        Save the file.

        3. Restart your X server to make the custom Xmodmap effective.
        To get a list of 2-key combos to use, run the command -
        dumpkeys | grep 'compose'

        You will see, for example, that the French c-cedilla is made with the keys "c"
        and ",". First, press the newly-defined compose key( Multi_key), and then the
        above two keys in sequence (3 keystrokes in total). The order of the the 2
        keys does not matter. After pressing the 3rd key you will see the result as
        "ç".
        There are additional symbols you can make, but you may have to search for
        the definition file. On my system (Slackware)I use
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose
        In there I can see, for example, that the "degree" (°) sign can be made with
        the number zero and the asterisk key (after pressing the compose key).