Re: [linux] Backup Software

    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2005
      On Tue, 3 May 2005 13:40:58 -0500
      Neil <cobra_neil@...> wrote:

      > That's handled by the manual process of me looking at the fileserver
      > periodically, purging older files and backing that up to DVD.

      The mail I posted has a rm function, you might want to use it so that
      you dont need to do much at all. If you place a CD in the draw, you
      could have cdrecord and mkiso doing the backup for you.

      > > If you want to email, just:
      > >
      > > MESSAGE="Hello...\n\n\nToday is a good day to email\n\n"
      > >
      > > echo -e $MESSAGE | mail myself -s "subject line";
      >
      > How would the "mail" command figure out where to send it? I don't
      > have sendmail or similar running on my machine -- just kmail pulling
      > mail from various ISPs/accounts using POP. Wouldn't I need to do
      > some configuration to tell it what the SMTP server is, etc?

      s/myself/your@address/

      mail uses /usr/bin/sendmail, or whichever sendmail is in your path.

      If you dont have sendmail, then you can use the bash net-tools, create a
      connection on port 25 to your ISP mail server and echo a message to
      stdin, or just put sendmail on.

      --
      http://edd.link9.net - http://irc.is-cool.net

    • Neil
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2005
        On Tuesday 03 May 2005 01:54 pm, ed scribbled:
        > The mail I posted has a rm function, you might want to use it so that
        > you dont need to do much at all. If you place a CD in the draw, you
        > could have cdrecord and mkiso doing the backup for you.

        Sadly, I don't have a burner on this (or most) machines. My backups all go to
        the fileserver, then I periodically log into my multimedia machine, and
        backup the whole file server to DVD. The fileserver has a pair of RAIDed
        HD's, so I feel comfortable with that.

        > s/myself/your@address/
        >
        > mail uses /usr/bin/sendmail, or whichever sendmail is in your path.
        >
        > If you dont have sendmail, then you can use the bash net-tools, create a
        > connection on port 25 to your ISP mail server and echo a message to
        > stdin, or just put sendmail on.

        Don't have either, but currently having an HD problem, so planning to swap it
        out this weekend, and experiment with Suse, so I'll add one of those.

        Thanks,
        -Neil.
      • TheMiyaca
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2005
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "srthakkar" <shitalt@h...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Which one is the best LINUX backup software in the market ??

          It depends on what you mean by best. With 2HDs anything
          will due.

          Veritas NetBackup is really good-and you pay for it.

          Amanda
          Backula.
        • tommyL
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5, 2005
            --- TheMiyaca <themiyaca@...> wrote:
            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "srthakkar" <shitalt@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Which one is the best LINUX backup software in the market ??
            > >

            > It depends on what you mean by best. With 2HDs anything
            > will due.
            >
            > Veritas NetBackup is really good-and you pay for it.
            >
            > Amanda
            > Backula.

            tommyL said:
            I've been watching this thread. I've been doing my backups with
            a removable hard drive. I'm not good on the software skills for
            linux so I just do cp's. It'd be great to be able to do an image.

            tommyL

            Yahoo! Mail