Re: [linux] Re: connecting macintosh to linux

    • George Osvald
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@s...> wrote:

        > On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:54:24 -0000, "George Osvald" <mail@o...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I was told by a MAC salesmen that MAC can run CUPS for printing.
        If
        > > that's true then I could run CUPS on the MAC as a client of the
        > > server running on my Linux server. That should work without any
        > > problems.
        >
        > In theory, that's right. If you're talking about a recent Mac
        running
        > MacOS X anyway since it's based on a BSD (therefore Unix, like
        Linux)
        > kernel and Unix software should compile and run on it.
        >
        > This said, I have zero experience with "Can't Usually Print Sh*t"
        and
        > always stick with LPRng.

        I have used CUPS on several different distros since about 1998. I
        never had any major problems. I had used lpr before than and tried
        lprng later on but always went back to CUPS. I think CUPS is far
        better than just about any spooler available on Linux. But I guess
        that also depends on the printer that you're using.
      • Dave Markowitz
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2005
          George Osvald wrote:
          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@n...> wrote:

          >>On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:33:22PM +0000, George Osvald wrote:
          >>

          >>>I am considering getting a MAC computer. Anyone's had any
          >
          > experience
          >
          >>>with MAC + Linux connecting. I am basically interested in
          >
          > printing
          >
          >>>only and the MAC will likely be running the latest software.
          >>>I have done a lot of work with Samba and connecting Windows
          >>>workstations. Is there a package for MAC?
          >>

          >>Mac OS X does support samba out of the box--for instance, you go
          >
          > to Go,
          >
          >>Connect to Server and type in whatever, as follows--for example
          >>
          >>smb://nyserve2/share
          >>
          >>You're then asked for username and password, and given the option
          >
          > of
          >
          >>putting the password in the keyring, meaning, it'll be saved.
          >>
          >>Fairely straightforward.
          >>
          >>Printing with Macs can be problematic, because there is often no
          >
          > real
          >
          >>print support for the Mac, especially with non-postscript
          >
          > printers.
          >

          > I was told by a MAC salesmen that MAC can run CUPS for printing. If
          > that's true then I could run CUPS on the MAC as a client of the
          > server running on my Linux server. That should work without any
          > problems.

          If you are running Mac OS-X, then CUPS is on by default. Try pointing
          your browser at <http://localhost:631>.

          --
          Dave Markowitz AIM: dmarkowitz527
          frodo527@... Y!: dave_markowitz