Why won't X Start?

  • J V
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      I just loaded Linux on a system and when I type STARTX, Gnome comes up just fine, but I can't get it to cone up upon boot. I changed /etc/inittab to read...

      id:5:initdefault:

      but Gnome still does not start up. I can log in fine to the command line, and "startx" brings Gnome up just fine, but it doesn't come up automatically like it should when the initial default run level is set to 5. Can anyone tell me what else might be wrong here?

      I'm running RedHat 7.3 on this system.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:31:07 -0800 (PST)
        J V <jvwork2002@...> wrote:

        > I just loaded Linux on a system and when I type STARTX, Gnome comes up

        I hope you are aware UNIX is CaSe SeNSiTiVe platform, not the same as
        'doze.

        > just fine, but I can't get it to cone up upon boot. I changed
        > /etc/inittab to read...
        >
        > id:5:initdefault:
        >
        > but Gnome still does not start up. I can log in fine to the command
        > line, and "startx" brings Gnome up just fine, but it doesn't come up
        > automatically like it should when the initial default run level is set
        > to 5. Can anyone tell me what else might be wrong here?
        >
        > I'm running RedHat 7.3 on this system.

        Have you got gdm, xdm, kdm installed on your system? These should handle
        the login, you will need to link /etc/init.d/gdm to /etc/rc5.d/.

        --
        You never see a farmer driving around a muddy field in a mini saying
        "its for when i go to the city"
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
          ((((
          I hope you are aware UNIX is CaSe SeNSiTiVe platform, not the same as 'doze.
          ))))

          I typed it in as "startx". I just put it in all CAPS in order to set it apart from the rest of the text.

          (((((
          Have you got gdm, xdm, kdm installed on your system?
          ))))))

          Well, if "startx" is working, then yes, obviously it is on my system.

          Joe

          J V <jvwork2002@...> wrote:

          > I just loaded Linux on a system and when I type STARTX, Gnome comes up

          I hope you are aware UNIX is CaSe SeNSiTiVe platform, not the same as
          'doze.

          > just fine, but I can't get it to cone up upon boot. I changed
          > /etc/inittab to read...
          >
          > id:5:initdefault:
          >
          > but Gnome still does not start up. I can log in fine to the command
          > line, and "startx" brings Gnome up just fine, but it doesn't come up
          > automatically like it should when the initial default run level is set
          > to 5. Can anyone tell me what else might be wrong here?
          >
          > I'm running RedHat 7.3 on this system.

          Have you got gdm, xdm, kdm installed on your system? These should handle
          the login, you will need to link /etc/init.d/gdm to /etc/rc5.d/.

          --
          You never see a farmer driving around a muddy field in a mini saying
          "its for when i go to the city"

        • Michael Kjorling
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
            On 2005-04-01 12:01 -0800, jvwork2002@... wrote:
            >> I hope you are aware UNIX is CaSe SeNSiTiVe platform, not the same
            >> as 'doze.
            >
            > I typed it in as "startx". I just put it in all CAPS in order to
            > set it apart from the rest of the text.

            And confuse half the audience in the process...

            >> Have you got gdm, xdm, kdm installed on your system?
            >
            > Well, if "startx" is working, then yes, obviously it is on my system.

            Why obviously? Does your startx script launch [gxk]dm? In that case
            you have a rather unusual setup.

            I would look at what gets started in the various runlevels. There is
            nothing magical about runlevel 5.

            --
            Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
            * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
              On Friday 01 April 2005 09:01 pm, J V wrote:
              > (((((
              > Have you got gdm, xdm, kdm installed on your system?
              > ))))))
              >
              > Well, if "startx" is working, then yes, obviously it is on my system.

              Nope, startx doesn't start gdm/xdm/kdm... you'll need to make sure that
              they're installed.. you can do a search for the executables... xdm/gdm/kdm..
              Then you need to make sure that they're started up from your startup
              scripts.. You can do this by looking through all the scripts that get
              executed during startup..

              Also, with regards to Runlevel 5, it depends on your distro.. On Slackware its
              Runlevel 4... You might want to double check that as well..

              cheers..

              --
              with metta,
              Shawn Tan.
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                  On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:01:23 -0800 (PST)
                  J V <jvwork2002@...> wrote:

                  > Well, if "startx" is working, then yes, obviously it is on my system.

                  To summarise, gdm/xdm/kdm are not x, but they do use x to fulfil their
                  function. If xdm, or the other two are on then it is most likely that x
                  is installed too.

                  --
                  I must write email to stay alive.
                • venkat raman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
                    hello jv,

                    >>I just loaded Linux on a system and when I type STARTX, Gnome comes up
                    >>just fine, but I can't get it to cone up upon boot. I changed
                    >>/etc/inittab to read...
                    >
                    > id:5:initdefault:
                    >
                    >but Gnome still does not start up. I can log in fine to the command line,
                    >and "startx" brings Gnome up just fine, but it doesn't come up
                    >automatically like it should when the initial default run level is set to
                    >5. Can anyone tell me what else might be wrong here?
                    >
                    >I'm running RedHat 7.3 on this system.

                    this could be the problem with kde so that each and every time you start
                    with init 5 it goes to kde and checks for it. so change the desktop env by
                    using switchdesk tool in tui. and type gnome restart the system.

                    please replay if it is woking or not

                    thanking you
                    raman

                    Make money with Zero Investment.