running programs of intrest without loading operating system

  • com bio
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello,
      How do i configure my grub so that i can start
      running a program of my intrest without loading the
      operating system. In the info page of grub it is given
      that any elf or a.out file can be loaded and run.
      I tried the following thing..
      I appended the line that starts with kernel in grub
      the following "init=/usr/bin/mplayer /song.mp3"

      but once i booted the mplayer started but it said
      could not read the file song.mp3 though i have a copy
      of the file in root folder.

      Any ideas how to go about?
      deepan chakravarthy

      =====
      link to deepan chakravarthy's home page: http://deepan.tk

      Center for Biotechnology,
      Anna University,
      Chennai,
      India.
      pin: 600025

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
    • Godwin Stewart

        On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:25:37 -0800 (PST), com bio <combiofriends@...>
        wrote:

        > I appended the line that starts with kernel in grub
        > the following "init=/usr/bin/mplayer /song.mp3"
        >
        > but once i booted the mplayer started but it said
        > could not read the file song.mp3 though i have a copy
        > of the file in root folder.

        If no operating system is loaded, mplayer (which has to be compiled static,
        BTW) doesn't know how to find a file on the disk. This is because it's the
        O/S kernel that does all the filesystem abstraction.

        - --
        G. Stewart - gstewart@...

        Do molecular biologists wear designer genes?
      • venkat raman
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
          hello sir,

          >Hello,
          > How do i configure my grub so that i can start
          >running a program of my intrest without loading the
          >operating system. In the info page of grub it is given
          >that any elf or a.out file can be loaded and run.
          >I tried the following thing..
          >I appended the line that starts with kernel in grub
          >the following "init=/usr/bin/mplayer /song.mp3"
          >
          >but once i booted the mplayer started but it said
          >could not read the file song.mp3 though i have a copy
          >of the file in root folder.
          >
          >Any ideas how to go about?
          >deepan chakravarthy
          >
          >=====
          >link to deepan chakravarthy's home page: http://deepan.tk

          hey iam madrasi, any way how are you,

          about your question.

          your mplayer would have started but not you root partition. do you know that
          your system has booted its root partiton or the did your partiton is in
          read-write mode. so if you want to do some thing like that, then do like
          this.boot your system in single usermod and remount your / filesystem in an
          read-write mode and do all sorts of things. booting in an single user mode
          won't take that much time. if you like this then put an entry in /etc/fstab.

          and which dept are you in, i have a friend there he is doing his final year.

          thanking you
          raman

          News, views and gossip. http://www.msn.co.in/Cinema/ Get it all at MSN
          Cinema!
        • venkat raman
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
            hello sir

            are you online can we chat.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
              sorry i didn't specify the name it is Godwin Stewart

              >Hello sir

              >are you online can we chat.

              >thanking you raman

              Apply to over 75,000 jobs now.
              http://www.naukri.com/tieups/tieups.php?othersrcp=736 Post your CV on
              naukri.com today.
            • Brendan Bispham
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
                > > I appended the line that starts with kernel in grub
                > > the following "init=/usr/bin/mplayer /song.mp3"

                Interesting idea...

                > If no operating system is loaded, mplayer (which has to be compiled static,
                > BTW) doesn't know how to find a file on the disk. This is because it's the
                > O/S kernel that does all the filesystem abstraction.

                From something on the web...

                "The first thing init does, is reading its initialization file, /etc/inittab."

                If true, how would init know where to find inittab?

                Perhaps the better way forward is to keep init and alter the inittab to start
                mplayer. Perhaps setup a runlevel which could get the grub append parms?
              • Godwin Stewart

                  On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:29:16 +0000, Brendan Bispham <egroups@black-and-
                  blue.com> wrote:

                  > "The first thing init does, is reading its initialization file, /etc/
                  > inittab."
                  >
                  > If true, how would init know where to find inittab?

                  You're quite right, of course.

                  The O/S kernel *is* already loaded by the time init gets run.

                  *mumble mumble* caffeine *mumble mumble*

                  - --
                  G. Stewart - gstewart@...

                  Sign spotted on a repair shop door:
                  WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING.
                  (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)
                • com bio
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                    --- venkat raman <venkat83_2010@...> wrote:

                    > hello sir,
                    >
                    > >Hello,
                    > > How do i configure my grub so that i can start
                    > >running a program of my intrest without loading the
                    > >operating system. In the info page of grub it is
                    > given
                    > >that any elf or a.out file can be loaded and run.
                    > >I tried the following thing..
                    > >I appended the line that starts with kernel in grub
                    > >the following "init=/usr/bin/mplayer /song.mp3"
                    > >
                    > >but once i booted the mplayer started but it said
                    > >could not read the file song.mp3 though i have a
                    > copy
                    > >of the file in root folder.
                    > >
                    > >Any ideas how to go about?
                    > >deepan chakravarthy
                    > >
                    > >=====
                    > >link to deepan chakravarthy's home page:
                    > http://deepan.tk
                    >
                    > hey iam madrasi, any way how are you,
                    >
                    > about your question.
                    >
                    > your mplayer would have started but not you root
                    > partition. do you know that
                    > your system has booted its root partiton or the did
                    > your partiton is in
                    > read-write mode. so if you want to do some thing
                    > like that, then do like
                    > this.boot your system in single usermod and remount
                    > your / filesystem in an
                    > read-write mode and do all sorts of things. booting
                    > in an single user mode
                    > won't take that much time. if you like this then put
                    > an entry in /etc/fstab.

                    Hello raman and others

                    What u said was correct...
                    Those kernel module that do the filesystem abstraction
                    or filehandling would not be loaded in the memory. So
                    the read request from the mplayer has failed. U said
                    "put and entry in /etc/fstab" .. I dont undestand what
                    u mean..
                    (btw i am in 3rd year biotech. www.deepan.tk)

                    =====
                    link to deepan chakravarthy's home page: http://deepan.tk

                    Center for Biotechnology,
                    Anna University,
                    Chennai,
                    India.
                    pin: 600025

                    __________________________________
                    Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                  • com bio
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                      Hello
                      Ya, a kernel is needed to attend system calls. So
                      what entry should i add to grub menu so that system
                      loads the minimal things required for running of my
                      program ( say like single user mode, but in a secured
                      way ) and starts my program.

                      thanks

                      --- dvd <david.esquivel@...> wrote:

                      > that's strange, i thought you needed a kernel in
                      > order to attend
                      > system calls (u know, open, in order to read a song
                      > or something) ...
                      > you need a file system mounted if you want to get
                      > access to data
                      > (song.mp3)... i'm quiet sure about how grub works
                      > but i think you need
                      > to boot!!! hehe...
                      >
                      > i hope this helps
                      >
                      > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:25:37 -0800 (PST), com bio
                      > <combiofriends@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello,
                      > > How do i configure my grub so that i can start
                      > > running a program of my intrest without loading
                      > the
                      > > operating system. In the info page of grub it is
                      > given
                      > > that any elf or a.out file can be loaded and run.
                      > > I tried the following thing..
                      > > I appended the line that starts with kernel in
                      > grub
                      > > the following "init=/usr/bin/mplayer /song.mp3"
                      > >
                      > > but once i booted the mplayer started but it said
                      > > could not read the file song.mp3 though i have a
                      > copy
                      > > of the file in root folder.
                      > >
                      > > Any ideas how to go about?
                      > > deepan chakravarthy
                      > >
                      > > =====
                      > > link to deepan chakravarthy's home page:
                      > http://deepan.tk

                      > hh-unix-subscribe@egroups.com
                      > > To Unsubscribe, send a message to
                      > hh-unix-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                      > >
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      =====
                      link to deepan chakravarthy's home page: http://deepan.tk

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • venkat raman
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                        hello there,

                        >What u said was correct...
                        >Those kernel module that do the filesystem abstraction
                        > or filehandling would not be loaded in the memory. So
                        >the read request from the mplayer has failed. U said
                        >"put and entry in /etc/fstab" .. I dont undestand what
                        >u mean..
                        >(btw i am in 3rd year biotech. www.deepan.tk)

                        HEY this /etc/fstab is realy intresting, see the all the mounting things is
                        done here even the root gets mounted by this file.

                        if you have more doubts contact me. are you intrested in linux.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                          hello,

                          >Hello
                          > Ya, a kernel is needed to attend system calls. So
                          >what entry should i add to grub menu so that system
                          >loads the minimal things required for running of my
                          >program ( say like single user mode, but in a secured
                          >way ) and starts my program.

                          hey try /bin/bash it is similar to linux single. or create your own runlevel
                          it is very simple.

                          thanking you
                          raman

                          Want to meet David Beckham? http://www.msn.co.in/gillette/ Fly to Madrid
                          with Gillette!
                        • com bio
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 4, 2005
                            Hello,
                            thats fine ...
                            i am familiar with fstab...
                            but how do i use that to start mplayer when i boot the
                            system without loading unwanted programs.
                            I created a new runlevel named 7 and put mplayer in
                            that . but it loads some unwanted (like clock,
                            mounting usb, mounting other non root partitions, etc
                            ) programs before entering runlevel 7 .How do i avoid
                            this?

                            thanks
                            deepan

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 4, 2005
                              On Friday 04 March 2005 16:05, com bio wrote:
                              > but how do i use that to start mplayer when i boot the
                              > system without loading unwanted programs.
                              > I created a new runlevel named 7 and put mplayer in
                              > that . but it loads some unwanted (like clock,
                              > mounting usb, mounting other non root partitions, etc
                              > ) programs before entering runlevel 7 .How do i avoid
                              > this?

                              In Debian, inittab says:
                              # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
                              # This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.
                              si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

                              I'd alter rcS to check the grub parms (or kernel or whatever is available that
                              can be altered by grub) and decide what to do based on them (possibly jump
                              straight to mplayer).

                              Then the 'runlevel' can be ignored by grub kernel or appends...
                            • Herbert R. Coburn
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 4, 2005
                                com bio wrote:

                                > Hello,
                                > thats fine ...

                                I was tempted to ignore your post since it was top-posted, but...

                                > i am familiar with fstab...
                                > but how do i use that to start mplayer when i boot the
                                > system without loading unwanted programs.

                                /etc/fstab has little to do with loading programs wanted or
                                otherwise. It has everything to do with mounting file systems
                                and establishing their "personality". If one doesn't mind
                                defining mount characteristics every time a filesystem gets
                                mounted, the line referring to the filesystem can be removed.

                                I tire of entering
                                mount -t vfat -o exec,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
                                when an entry in /etc/fstab and a convenient link lets me use
                                mount /c
                                instead.

                                > I created a new runlevel named 7 and put mplayer in
                                > that . but it loads some unwanted (like clock,
                                > mounting usb, mounting other non root partitions, etc
                                > ) programs before entering runlevel 7 .How do i avoid
                                > this?

                                I would imagine that /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc has a ****load
                                of commands that are run every time X is started, in addition
                                to the services loaded in your init scripts called by the
                                runlevel.

                                search Google or your favorite engine on
                                runlevel linux

                                when you understand the purpose of runlevels and how they
                                work in concert with the /etc/rc.d/init.d directories
                                (forgive me fellow Slackers, [1])
                                you may try to rephrase your question.

                                If you are lucky enough to be running Slackware, review
                                the scripts /etc/rc.d/rc.[46KMS] and /etc/inittab which
                                tells you which script is run at which runlevel. In Slackware,
                                I would change the id line in /etc/inittab to 4 (to load
                                X-Window), change ~/.xinitrc to load only the X utilities
                                you want and make sure
                                mplayer
                                is the final line. When you boot, mplayer runs, when you
                                close mplayer, the computer shuts down.

                                > thanks
                                > deepan

                                If my comment helped, then you are truly welcome. /herbc

                                [1] The few and the proud are truly few.. and given the
                                phrasing of the question, I doubt I am replying to someone
                                with a decent runlevel setup. For all you Red Hat, Suse,
                                Mandrake, Xandros, Linspire, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian and
                                similar users... you are all great. But, even so, a pox on
                                you. At least I can understand how Slackware does things.

                                Un-related, but to the fine individual that recommended
                                IceWM, I looked and tried and am switching slowly to
                                fluxbox. I am totally amazed by the power of its plugins,
                                its simplicity, and its speed. Icons on the desktop are
                                of little use when one spends most of their time in xterm
                                or the console. Thanks for pointing me to the light!
                                windowmanagers.
                              • com bio
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 5, 2005
                                  --- "Herbert R. Coburn" <cidhus@...> wrote:
                                  > com bio wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Hello,
                                  > > thats fine ...
                                  >
                                  > I was tempted to ignore your post since it was
                                  > top-posted, but...
                                  sorry for that..continued at the bottom

                                  > > i am familiar with fstab...
                                  > > but how do i use that to start mplayer when i boot
                                  > the
                                  > > system without loading unwanted programs.
                                  >
                                  > /etc/fstab has little to do with loading programs
                                  > wanted or
                                  > otherwise. It has everything to do with mounting
                                  > file systems
                                  > and establishing their "personality". If one doesn't
                                  > mind
                                  > defining mount characteristics every time a
                                  > filesystem gets
                                  > mounted, the line referring to the filesystem can be
                                  > removed.
                                  >
                                  > I tire of entering
                                  > mount -t vfat -o exec,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
                                  > when an entry in /etc/fstab and a convenient link
                                  > lets me use
                                  > mount /c
                                  > instead.
                                  >
                                  > > I created a new runlevel named 7 and put mplayer
                                  > in
                                  > > that . but it loads some unwanted (like clock,
                                  > > mounting usb, mounting other non root partitions,
                                  > etc
                                  > > ) programs before entering runlevel 7 .How do i
                                  > avoid
                                  > > this?
                                  >
                                  > I would imagine that /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc has a
                                  > ****load
                                  mplayer does not need X ..it can run in text mode
                                  console or even without that ... in background. So i
                                  need not load X at all.
                                  > of commands that are run every time X is started, in
                                  > addition
                                  > to the services loaded in your init scripts called
                                  > by the
                                  > runlevel.
                                  >
                                  > search Google or your favorite engine on
                                  > runlevel linux
                                  >
                                  > when you understand the purpose of runlevels and how
                                  > they
                                  > work in concert with the /etc/rc.d/init.d
                                  > directories
                                  > (forgive me fellow Slackers, [1])
                                  > you may try to rephrase your question.

                                  my question is ... EVEN BEFORE EXECUTING THE SCRIPTS
                                  THAT ARE SPECIFIED IN RUNLEVEL FOLDERS like rc1.d ,
                                  rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d, rc5.d, some other programs are
                                  started. I dont know which script executes that. I
                                  want to know what script is executed before
                                  /etc/rc.d/rc . this script is called by /etc/inittab
                                  along with the runlevel argument (it appears so ..
                                  please correct me if i am wrong). Some other script is
                                  executed before
                                  /etc/rc.d/rc and inittab... they mount usb, load clock
                                  settings, mount those partitions specified in
                                  /etc/fstab . i want to know the location of those
                                  scripts and any information related to that..

                                  Ur (Herbert R. Coburn) commets where very usefull
                                  thanks...

                                  > If you are lucky enough to be running Slackware,
                                  > review
                                  > the scripts /etc/rc.d/rc.[46KMS] and /etc/inittab
                                  > which
                                  > tells you which script is run at which runlevel. In
                                  > Slackware,
                                  > I would change the id line in /etc/inittab to 4 (to
                                  > load
                                  > X-Window), change ~/.xinitrc to load only the X
                                  > utilities
                                  > you want and make sure
                                  > mplayer
                                  > is the final line. When you boot, mplayer runs, when
                                  > you
                                  > close mplayer, the computer shuts down.
                                  > >
                                  > > thanks
                                  > > deepan
                                  >
                                  > If my comment helped, then you are truly welcome.
                                  > /herbc
                                  >

                                  > [1] The few and the proud are truly few.. and given
                                  > the
                                  > phrasing of the question, I doubt I am replying to
                                  > someone
                                  > with a decent runlevel setup. For all you Red Hat,
                                  > Suse,
                                  > Mandrake, Xandros, Linspire, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian
                                  > and
                                  > similar users... you are all great. But, even so, a
                                  > pox on
                                  > you. At least I can understand how Slackware does
                                  > things.
                                  >
                                  > Un-related, but to the fine individual that
                                  > recommended
                                  > IceWM, I looked and tried and am switching slowly to
                                  > fluxbox. I am totally amazed by the power of its
                                  > plugins,
                                  > its simplicity, and its speed. Icons on the desktop
                                  > are
                                  > of little use when one spends most of their time in
                                  > xterm
                                  > or the console. Thanks for pointing me to the light!
                                  > windowmanagers.

                                  link to deepan chakravarthy's home page: http://deepan.tk

                                  Center for Biotechnology,
                                  Anna University,
                                  Chennai,
                                  India.
                                  pin: 600025

                                  __________________________________
                                  Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                                • Robert C Wittig
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 5, 2005
                                    com bio wrote:

                                    > my question is ... EVEN BEFORE EXECUTING THE SCRIPTS
                                    > THAT ARE SPECIFIED IN RUNLEVEL FOLDERS like rc1.d ,
                                    > rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d, rc5.d, some other programs are
                                    > started. I dont know which script executes that. I
                                    > want to know what script is executed before
                                    > /etc/rc.d/rc . this script is called by /etc/inittab
                                    > along with the runlevel argument (it appears so ..
                                    > please correct me if i am wrong). Some other script is
                                    > executed before
                                    > /etc/rc.d/rc and inittab... they mount usb, load clock
                                    > settings, mount those partitions specified in
                                    > /etc/fstab . i want to know the location of those
                                    > scripts and any information related to that..

                                    1) You asked this question, and I read it.
                                    2) I dropped the search term 'linux init process' into Google,
                                    and pressed 'Enter'.
                                    3) The very first hit at the top of the list was "Linux: Init
                                    Process and PC Boot Procedure', which is at:
                                    http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialInitProcess.html

                                    This tutorial should answer any questions you have about init.
                                    While I was there, I poked around a little on the YoLinux site,
                                    and it seems to be pretty informative, so I bookmarked it.

                                    The reason I posted my Google search process, that I used in
                                    locating the info, was not because I was trying to be a wise-ass,
                                    but because in my opinion, Googling is often a faster and more
                                    efficient way of finding answers, than asking an e-list.

                                    I usually only ask the questions on e-list, that I cannot find
                                    for myself, in either the man pages and other documentation, or
                                    by searching the Web.

                                    I consider my browser bookmark files valuable documents, and keep
                                    back-ups of them on a separate hard drive.

                                    --
                                    -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                                    .
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 1, 2005
                                      hello sir/mam,

                                      iam sucessfull in finding out the answer for the mysql password
                                      setting and add the password in the property file. i will say how to do it.

                                      1) you have a project with you in /home/projects/abc
                                      2) now your host name is <hostname> (command to find the hostname is
                                      hostname)

                                      use these following command to get the password set on your mysql:

                                      cmd> mysqladmin --user=root --host=<hostname> password "<your password>"

                                      cmd> service mysqld restart

                                      cmd> vi /home/projects/abc/.../abc.property

                                      in the property file use:
                                      password=<your password>

                                      start the project and see whether it is logging in.

                                      if not:

                                      use these following command to get the password set on your mysql:

                                      cmd> mysqladmin --user=root --host=localhost password "<your password>"

                                      cmd> service mysqld restart

                                      cmd> vi /home/projects/abc/.../abc.property

                                      in the property file use:
                                      password=<your password>

                                      start the project and see whether it is logging in.

                                      command to change the mysql password and to get in the mysql using password:

                                      cmd> mysql -p
                                      enter the password:<your password>

                                      to change the password:
                                      cmd> mysqladmin password <new password>

                                      thanking you
                                      raman

                                      MSN Careers! http://www.timesjobs.com/MSN/ Sign up now!
                                    • Godwin Stewart

                                        On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:33:54 +0530, "venkat raman"
                                        <venkat83_2010@...> wrote:

                                        > hello sir/mam,
                                        >
                                        > iam sucessfull in finding out the answer for the mysql password
                                        > setting and add the password in the property file. i will say how to do
                                        > it.

                                        Sorry folks - I didn't see the thread hijack.

                                        - --
                                        G. Stewart - gstewart@...

                                        If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead
                                        rabbits on the highway?