Re: Re: [linux] snd configuration

  • Jesse G. Lands
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 3, 2005
      > --- venkat raman <venkat83_2010@...> wrote:
      > > hey
      > > see here i dont have the need to hack thread. it looks like
      > > you got little
      > > exprence in it.

      Really unnecessary comments. English is not your first language. As this is an English list perhaps you would be better off taking statements with a 'grain of salt'. You obviously misunderstood what he meant.

      As far as experience there are few on the list that can make valid claims to having as much as Godwin and he is not one to make those types of claims. So six months of experience doesn't make you an expert. I have three years and I still ask stupid questions. So respect those that put as much effort into this list as Godwin, Scott or others. To make flame comments does nothing for your cause and will more then likely get you less responses from those that can help you.

      > Now just make like this is all "water under the bridge".
      > Just start your own threads from now on.

      http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html
      Read Scott's FAQ. I think that is the one is sent out when you join. Someone else has a Netiquette page. Their not meant to tell you how to live. Just how to get your questions answered.

      We are here to help you and learn ourselves. No one wants a flame war. It's a waste.

      Take Care and be patient.
      Jesse
    • venkat raman
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 3, 2005
        hey guys

        thanks for the advice. i accept the fault is with me i should have used that
        words i was realy in a bad mood yes i accept english is not my first
        language. iam your novice. i wrongly understand you explanation. iam not
        showing my 6 experence for worng resons i showed that iam a kid learing
        linux so that you may help me it has been three days i sent you my mail no
        replay form ur side iam a admin here iam getting lot of question for my
        office. even though i should not have written like that iam realy sorry for
        the thing i have dont to your hearts.

        any one care to answer to my question on sound configuration.

        i hope you accept my sorry.

        please replay

        thnaking you
        raman

        Trailblazer Narain Karthikeyan. Know more about him �n his life.
        http://server1.msn.co.in/sp04/tataracing/ Stay in the loop with Tata Racing!
      • venkat raman
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 3, 2005
          hello sir,

          i think you would have forgetten my mistake (i hope so).

          i got a problem here i installed 3 systems with linux 9.0 with everything
          configuration on my packages selection. now i cannot find my dhcpd.conf it
          should be on /etc/dhcpd.conf but it is not in that place. i checked whether
          i have installed the dhcpd server but it says it has been installed but i
          cannot see the config file.i have tryed locate dhcpd.conf

          /etc/log.d/conf/services/dhcpd.conf
          /usr/share/doc/dhcp-3.0pl1/dhcpd.conf.sample
          /usr/share/man/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
          /usr/share/man/fr/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
          /usr/share/man/ja/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz

          this is the replay

          the version is dhcpd3.0

          and the other problem is in fedora core 2 there is no drvnet.img to connect
          to the network for installation. i serached in this site but there is no
          such image in image dir

          the ftp site is

          ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/mirror/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/images/

          please send me replay

          thanking you
          raman

          Trailblazer Narain Karthikeyan. Know more about him �n his life.
          http://server1.msn.co.in/sp04/tataracing/ Stay in the loop with Tata Racing!
        • utsteelviper
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4, 2005
            > any one care to answer to my question on sound configuration.

            Sound works at times, but not at others. You are using Red Hat 9
            correct? What type of sound card do you have? What is the output of
            typing 'lsmod' as root?

            If you are using alsa have you tried adjusting your alsamixer settings?

            Jesse
          • Joao Coelho
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 4, 2005
              Not to overstate the obvious, it looks like you did.
              did you do a find / -name 'dh*.conf' ?

              --- venkat raman <venkat83_2010@...> wrote:

              > hello sir,
              >
              > i think you would have forgetten my mistake (i hope
              > so).
              >
              > i got a problem here i installed 3 systems with
              > linux 9.0 with everything
              > configuration on my packages selection. now i cannot
              > find my dhcpd.conf it
              > should be on /etc/dhcpd.conf but it is not in that
              > place. i checked whether
              > i have installed the dhcpd server but it says it has
              > been installed but i
              > cannot see the config file.i have tryed locate
              > dhcpd.conf
              >
              > /etc/log.d/conf/services/dhcpd.conf
              > /usr/share/doc/dhcp-3.0pl1/dhcpd.conf.sample
              > /usr/share/man/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
              > /usr/share/man/fr/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
              > /usr/share/man/ja/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
              >
              > this is the replay
              >
              > the version is dhcpd3.0
              >
              > and the other problem is in fedora core 2 there is
              > no drvnet.img to connect
              > to the network for installation. i serached in this
              > site but there is no
              > such image in image dir
              >
              > the ftp site is

              ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/mirror/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/images/

              > please send me replay
              >
              > thanking you
              > raman

              > http://www.yahoogroups.com
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • TheMiyaca
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 4, 2005
                try cd /usr/share/doc/dhcpv<TAB>

                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Joao Coelho <ofilha1@y...> wrote:
                > Not to overstate the obvious, it looks like you did.
                > did you do a find / -name 'dh*.conf' ?
                >
                > --- venkat raman <venkat83_2010@h...> wrote:
                >

                > > hello sir,
                > >
                > > i think you would have forgetten my mistake (i hope
                > > so).
                > >
                > > i got a problem here i installed 3 systems with
                > > linux 9.0 with everything
                > > configuration on my packages selection. now i cannot
                > > find my dhcpd.conf it
                > > should be on /etc/dhcpd.conf but it is not in that
                > > place. i checked whether
                > > i have installed the dhcpd server but it says it has
                > > been installed but i
                > > cannot see the config file.i have tryed locate
                > > dhcpd.conf
                > >
                > > /etc/log.d/conf/services/dhcpd.conf
                > > /usr/share/doc/dhcp-3.0pl1/dhcpd.conf.sample
                > > /usr/share/man/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
                > > /usr/share/man/fr/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
                > > /usr/share/man/ja/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
                > >
                > > this is the replay
                > >
                > > the version is dhcpd3.0
                > >
                > > and the other problem is in fedora core 2 there is
                > > no drvnet.img to connect
                > > to the network for installation. i serached in this
                > > site but there is no
                > > such image in image dir
                > >
                > > the ftp site is

                ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/mirror/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2
                /i386/os/images/

                > > please send me replay
                > >
                > > thanking you
                > > raman

                > > http://www.yahoogroups.com
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://my.yahoo.com
              • venkat raman
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 6, 2005
                  hello sir

                  > > hello sir,
                  > >
                  > > i think you would have forgetten my mistake (i hope
                  > > so).
                  > >
                  > > i got a problem here i installed 3 systems with
                  > > linux 9.0 with everything
                  > > configuration on my packages selection. now i cannot
                  > > find my dhcpd.conf it
                  > > should be on /etc/dhcpd.conf but it is not in that
                  > > place. i checked whether
                  > > i have installed the dhcpd server but it says it has
                  > > been installed but i
                  > > cannot see the config file.i have tryed locate
                  > > dhcpd.conf
                  > >
                  > > /etc/log.d/conf/services/dhcpd.conf
                  > > /usr/share/doc/dhcp-3.0pl1/dhcpd.conf.sample
                  > > /usr/share/man/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
                  > > /usr/share/man/fr/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
                  > > /usr/share/man/ja/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz
                  > >
                  > > this is the replay
                  > >
                  > > the version is dhcpd3.0
                  > >
                  > > and the other problem is in fedora core 2 there is
                  > > no drvnet.img to connect
                  > > to the network for installation. i serached in this
                  > > site but there is no
                  > > such image in image dir
                  > >
                  > > the ftp site is
                  > >

                  >ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/mirror/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/images/
                  > >
                  > > please send me replay
                  > >
                  > > thanking you
                  > > raman

                  i have used the find command to find it but it shows the same (is that
                  locate and find is same type of commands). iam sure i have installed it. i
                  gave rpm -qa dhcp* it shows dhcpd3.0..... it means it is there. i must try
                  installing dhcp2.0 form redhat 7.2 but it will ask for dependency packages.
                  what to do. iam trying to uninstall it by it shows me there is lot of
                  packages depended on it what to do . is there is any option to cut the
                  dependency off. i know we can find it in man page of rpm. i wil try it from
                  my side and please help me from your side.

                  i know this is a late replay sorry anyway,

                  thanking you
                  raman

                  Millions of possibilities - find your Partner
                  http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 On
                  BharatMatrimony.com
                • venkat raman
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 6, 2005
                    hai

                    >From: "TheMiyaca" <themiyaca@...>
                    >try cd /usr/share/doc/dhcpv<TAB>

                    this is an documentation directory what will be there. are you telling me to
                    read this. if so i will.

                    sorry for late replay

                    thanking you
                    raman.

                    Redefine team work. Discover your true potential.
                    http://www.microsoft.com/india/office/experience/ With the MS product suite.
                  • venkat raman
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 6, 2005
                      hai

                      >try cd /usr/share/doc/dhcpv<TAB>

                      hey thanks i was a sample file there i think it will work out i will copy it
                      and see whether it is working out.

                      and thanks for the advice

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 6, 2005
                        hello sir

                        > > any one care to answer to my question on sound configuration.
                        >

                        >Sound works at times, but not at others. You are using Red Hat 9
                        >correct? What type of sound card do you have? What is the output of
                        > typing 'lsmod' as root?
                        >
                        >If you are using alsa have you tried adjusting your alsamixer settings?
                        >
                        >Jesse

                        yes it the rh9.0 version. my sound card was intel corp AC'97 Audio.. the
                        output of lsmod was

                        output of text mod

                        Module Size Used by Not tainted
                        agpgart 47776 0 (unused)
                        parport_pc 19076 1 (autoclean)
                        lp 8996 0 (autoclean)
                        parport 37056 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
                        autofs 13268 0 (autoclean) (unused)
                        8139too 18088 1
                        mii 3976 0 [8139too]
                        ipt_REJECT 3928 2 (autoclean)
                        iptable_filter 2412 1 (autoclean)
                        ip_tables 15096 2 [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]
                        microcode 4668 0 (autoclean)
                        ide-scsi 12208 0
                        scsi_mod 107160 1 [ide-scsi]
                        ide-cd 35708 0
                        cdrom 33728 0 [ide-cd]
                        keybdev 2944 0 (unused)
                        mousedev 5492 0
                        hid 22148 0 (unused)
                        input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
                        usb-uhci 26348 0 (unused)
                        usbcore 78784 1 [hid usb-uhci]
                        ext3 70784 2
                        jbd 51892 2 [ext3]

                        i was removing the sound card on /etc/sysconfig/hwconfig and run kudzu it
                        deducts my audio hardware but it's no use. if iam trying very hard today the
                        next days it stats working but the day after the next day i stats with the
                        same problem.

                        when i run mp3 iam getting this problem i installed xmms-mp3 plugin . when
                        iam playing it says gives me three options, your sound card is not configred
                        properly, your output plugin is not configured and some other thing. and
                        other day it working fine i have tryed restarting the system. i was trying
                        to reinstall with dhcpd but the dhcpd is not working though it is not an
                        work with higher proirty i am trying to locate problem.

                        by your words its clear that you have been affected by the same problem
                        before. and i hope you solved it.

                        thanking you
                        raman

                        The real power of teamwork. Experience it in real time.
                        http://www.microsoft.com/india/office/experience/ Experience MS Office
                        System.
                      • Jesse Lands
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 7, 2005
                          > yes it the rh9.0 version. my sound card was intel corp AC'97 Audio.. the
                          > output of lsmod was
                          Your sound card isn't an AC'97. That's just a codec. You need to find out what type of chipset you have. Realteck, Intel, VIA etc...

                          > output of text mod
                          >
                          > Module Size Used by Not tainted
                          > agpgart 47776 0 (unused)
                          > parport_pc 19076 1 (autoclean)
                          > lp 8996 0 (autoclean)
                          > parport 37056 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
                          > autofs 13268 0 (autoclean) (unused)
                          > 8139too 18088 1
                          > mii 3976 0 [8139too]
                          > ipt_REJECT 3928 2 (autoclean)
                          > iptable_filter 2412 1 (autoclean)
                          > ip_tables 15096 2 [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]
                          > microcode 4668 0 (autoclean)
                          > ide-scsi 12208 0
                          > scsi_mod 107160 1 [ide-scsi]
                          > ide-cd 35708 0
                          > cdrom 33728 0 [ide-cd]
                          > keybdev 2944 0 (unused)
                          > mousedev 5492 0
                          > hid 22148 0 (unused)
                          > input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
                          > usb-uhci 26348 0 (unused)
                          > usbcore 78784 1 [hid usb-uhci]
                          > ext3 70784 2
                          > jbd 51892 2 [ext3]

                          Your sound card is not loaded.

                          > by your words its clear that you have been affected by the same problem
                          > before. and i hope you solved it.

                          Find you the chipset you have and follow instructions on this page.

                          http://www.alsa-project.org/

                          Usually Red Hat is pretty good about getting things installed and keeping them there. It may be that your sound card is newer then RH 9. Have you thought of upgrading the FC1 or FC2?

                          --
                          JLands
                          Slackware 10